WineBoard
Rules - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Rules (/thread-16032.html)

- Just*Me - 04-27-2006

I'm having dinner in a couple of weeks-7 courses (main being veal)complete with intermission-and I've opted for the wine pairing (since I don't really know what I'm doing yet), .

Are there any rules during the Hors d'oeuvres part of it pertaining to wine selection or should I order what I like? (cab.sauv./pinot noir)

- wondersofwine - 04-27-2006

There are few hard and fast rules. Wines like Riesling and Pinot Noir are pretty versatile and will not clash badly with many appetizers. I like Sauvignon Blanc sometimes for hors d'oeuvres especially if they include spinach dip. Pinot Noir can be a good pairing with shrimp or mushroom appetizers or rolled ham, etc. Cabernet Sauvignon might be a little heavy with some appetizers but could pair well with the right cheese (both white and red wines have possible cheese pairings). I say go with a wine type you know you like unless you want to be adventurous. And enjoy the multi-course meal. I hope the portions are small and the wine pairings complementary.

- Just*Me - 04-27-2006

Thanks for the heads up. I may stick with the Riesling or something I've never tried before.

For any Southern California folks, you may want to check out the restaurant, they are rumored to have a good wine selection in their cellar!

www.hobbitrestaurant.com

- Innkeeper - 04-27-2006

I would go with a Pinot Noir with veal, unless it was in a very rich sauce. If that is the case, a heavier wine such as Cabernet may go. If people are going to mingeling around with the Hors d'oeuvres you might want to consider something like a Champagne punch.

- Just*Me - 04-27-2006

Well, I won't have to worry much with the courses bucause they will pair it themselves...Usually they serve their Hors d'oeuvres with champagne but, at the risk of sounding unrefined, I've never liked champagne.

Here is a sample of how they pair:

The Hobbit

Orange, California

CHALK HILL WINE DINNER

January 22, 2004

Hors d'oeuvres
Hobbit Champagne
2000 Chalk Hill Estate Sauvignon Blanc

Shellfish Ravioli
with Broccoli Rabe and Champagne Nage
2000 Chalk Hill Estate Vineyard Selection Pinot Gris

Medallion of Lobster
with Parmesan Risotto and Fresh Corn Coulis
1999 Chalk Hill Estate Vineyard Selection Chardonnay

Roquefort Dressed Greens and Brie Gratin
with Grilled Quail, Stuffed with Sweet Pear
1996 Chalk Hill Estate Merlot

Dry-Aged New York
with Forest Mushrooms
1999 Chalk Hill Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (Library Selection)

Apricot Star and Passion Fruit Moon
with Mascarpone Cream
1997 Chalk Hill Estate Vineyard Selection Botrytised Semillon

- winoweenie - 04-27-2006

Hi Just and I can assure you with certanty that you'll have a memorable experience. Ken Burnap was one of the founders of this fine establishment and furnished me with some mity fine grub over the years before he and partner decided they were going to become full-time wine-makers. The winery I've been touting on the Pinot thread (Santa Cruz Mtn. Vineyards) was the result of their endeavors. Their 2 sons now run the Hobbitt. Go with what they suggest. They know their stuff. WW

- wondersofwine - 04-28-2006

I also saw that the Hobbit is one of the CA restaurants that carries Williams Selyem Pinot Noir. It is not available everywhere but many of the fine restaurants in California do have it on their list.

- Just*Me - 04-28-2006

Wonderful! I have been dying to eat there for some time now, but they are always so booked. I had to book this reservation months in advance. I will definitely let you guys know how it went!

I will try the Williams Selyem Pinot Noir, I hope I can appreciate it as much as I should being so new to wine drinking...

- winoweenie - 04-28-2006

Normally a 4-6 month wait. If that done' tell you sumpin' bout the jernt wellllll. WW

- lizardbrains - 05-07-2006

That sounds like a VERY cool place! I might have to make some reservations for myself and my hubby. That would be a GREAT date!

-Elizabeth