WineBoard
Hey Yabloka - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Hey Yabloka (/thread-15970.html)

- wineguruchgo - 11-03-2003

Sorry it took me so long to get this to you, but I had to look in a great many places to get the info that I needed. Unfortunately the myriad of books that I have aren’t really specific with many of the AVA’s.

I don’t agree with Brom. I certainly believe that you can break down the list by AVA’s and give a generalization. The people who will be enlisting your help are intimidated and do not know the list. Those that do know wine and what they want won’t ask for your help.

With that being said let’s get started.

California

Napa: Obviously the most widely recognized AVA in the United States.

Rutherford: it produces balanced, vivacious, delicately spiced, dense, world-class Cabs
Many of these wines will have a slight mineral characteristic which is known as “Rutherford Dust”

Oakville: Slightly cooler than Rutherford. The Cabs are meaty and juicy, luscious yet well structured. The cabs from this area are full of finesse.

Stags Leap: The soil of SLD lend Cabernet and Merlot particularly soft tannins, an attractive roundness and fresh berry fruit.

Mt. Veeder: The volcanic soils produce low yields of fruity, wildly spicy, well-structured Cabernet and Chardonnay

Spring Mt.: Known for powerful Zinfandels, Petite Syrahs, Cabernets and Merlots.

Diamond Mt: Full Cabernets with dark berry fruit flavors and well developed tannins.

St. Helena: Chardonnays have remarkable power while the Cabernets are dense, full-bodied, tannin-rich wines with rich cassis and raspberry fruit aromas.

Calistoga: Warmer climate produces powerful well-rounded Cabernets and Zinfandels along with creamy Sauvignon Blancs.

Howell Mt: Highly concentrated Zinfandels and extraordinarly dense, fruity rich Cabernets.

Sonoma: Best known for softer, more elegant wines than those of Napa.

Chalk Hill: Mineral-filled, tangy fresh-grass Sauvignon Blancs, Chardonnays of power and substance, and the black currant and cassis defined Cabernet Sauvignons

Dry Creek: Zinfandels are ripe, rich, with berrylike fruit and peppery nuances. The areas Sauvignon Blanc can often be too exuberant in a pungent, weedy-grassy manner, needing some calming influence from barrel fermentations or from blending with Semillon. The finer Cabernet Sauvignons are very expressive, with a strong bell pepper, green olive, earthy nature.

Russian Russian River Valley Chardonnays are clearly world class, being slightly
more lean than those of Alexander Valley. Pinot Noir from this area is sensual, succulent, juicy and fleshy.

Alexander Valley Grows Cabernet Sauvignon so innately soft, fluid and welcoming that it rarely requires the softening mixture of Merlot.

Knights Valley Sauvignon Blanc in its ripest exposition, showing full fig and melon fruit. Cabernet Sauvignon and Franc, Merlot, Malbec and Petit Verdot are richly-fruited beauties, with plenty of cassis and tobacco, with cedary hints and the rich chocolate notes of perfectly mature warm climate grapes.

Carneros/SonomaTongueinot Noirs, which clearly demonstrate their Carneros breeding, often show a jammy strawberry character, while Carneros Chardonnays possess delicate floral, white peach and white grapefruit qualities that are subtle, yet alluring. Merlot is full of cassis and black currant fruit and a softness in the mouth

I will try to do more in the coming week but I think that this covers more than 1/2 of the list.

Hope it helps you.

- winoweenie - 11-03-2003

Well done WineGC. A nice compact, easy to read and understand capulization. WW

- yabloka - 11-04-2003

Um WOW! Thanks for the help! This is terrific! Where did you find this information? I have been searching and searching with absolutely no luck! Even reading your list, I am able to nod and go "Hey, that's what I thought!" My goodness I could kiss you!

- wineguruchgo - 11-04-2003

Aw Shucks!

As I have stated I'm studying for the Master of Wine program so I have a small library of great books at my disposal and for those I couldn't find in the books, I found on the web.

It was just a matter of finding the time to do the research.

Hope it helps. I'll try to get to the other AVA's in the next few days. If anything, it helps me as well!

[This message has been edited by wineguruchgo (edited 11-04-2003).]

- yabloka - 11-05-2003

Are the books you talking about the ones that are recommended reading for the course?

- wineguruchgo - 11-06-2003

Yes - the books are:

World Atlas of Wine by Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson

Oxford Companion to Wine

New Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia

Vines, Grapes & Wine by Jancis Robinson

and my own book:

Wine by Andre Domaine

As I stated, I got most of the information from these books. Some of the Sonoma Appellations I had to search the web for.

- Brom - 11-12-2003

"I don’t agree with Brom. I certainly believe that you can break down the list by AVA’s and give a generalization"

Another non-reader I see. When did I say that the above could not be done? Go back and read the posts carefully. I said that within a month one could not learn to recommend a hillside or valley wine to a dining customer. One could not become a sommelier in a moment.

Although I disagree that it is wise to recommend specific labels by the generalized characteristics of the AVA, I never indicated that such information could not be learned by rote.

You are studying to be a MW. How long has that taken you? By the way, which, hillside or valley, would you recommend for a spiedini alla Romagna with a capered sauce?

- Kcwhippet - 11-12-2003

Here we go again. Hey, Brom, why is it that you take such complete umbrage when someone disagrees with you, yet you seem to take such utter delight in disagreeing with others?

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 11-12-2003).]

- Georgie - 11-12-2003

ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-taaa,
ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-taaaa....And they're off!

- winoweenie - 11-13-2003

At it Again? I think we get blessed with the Brom-Boogers' prescence whenced he be kicked off some other board. WW

- yabloka - 11-14-2003

Since capers come from hillsides, why not stick with the theme?

- Drew - 11-14-2003

Man I'm really missing it here...I only see one Brom post and no disagreement or contentious posts from others, I'm so confused. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

Drew

- Brom - 11-14-2003

"Brom, why is it that you take such complete umbrage when someone disagrees with you"

I take "umbrage" (if you believe disagreement must be accompanied by such a feeling) when what I have said is mischaracterized or flatly mis-stated. Then by use of exact quotes, I illustrate the faulty reasoning or statements.

I disagree when I disagree. I take no delight in disagreement, especially in light of the fact that not only do many people think it is a personal insult that someone might disagree with them, but others feel they must rush to comfort the person who was mistaken by then making soothing noises to them and personal attacks on me.

Not personal attacks? It has been stated more than once that the substance of my disagreements are indeed the more reasonable and reasoned point of view, it is just my personality (as translated as style, tone and attitude) that people find to be offensive.

"Brom-booger"? This is what passes for witty, inoffensive repartee? I'll maintain my current style, thank-you.

- Brom - 11-14-2003

"Since capers are grown on hills..."

Good answer. If I was a certain type of customer I would say "Bring me a hill-grown wine."

Yes, good answer - but since wheat and cheese are not grown on hillsides, why not stick with the valley theme?

This is part of what I asked you earlier - why would you have to recommend on this basis?

Although citing the relationship between wild capers and rocky hillsides is a very adept and apt response here, there is no taste related reason for such a recommendation is there?

- ShortWiner - 11-14-2003

See Drew? You just had to be patient!

- Kcwhippet - 11-14-2003

Perhaps your just missing the point of everything here, Brom. It seems to me, and it appears to others as well, that you are just a tad bit too confrontational and argumentative in your posts. Perhaps it's a matter of your word usage and sentence structure, but you seem to be taking the stance of talking down to inferiors. Whether you intend that or not is really irrelevant, that's the way you come across, at least to me, and I don't see it as a civil approach, hence my counter posts. You may very well be the salt of the earth, a great American and a hell of a good sport, but I just don't see that side of you from the tone of your posts. Anyone who does know me, and some here really do, will tell you I'm basically a non-confontational person, but when something rubs me the wrong way I do tend to react, and I have. Prove me wrong, Brom. Show me you really are a good person at heart, and not just here to rile some folks up.

- winoweenie - 11-14-2003

Here I go there Brom-Baby. I've been at this wins stuff since before you were born and have had an absolute ball gaining what little knowledge I've obtained. But the greatest satisfaction is in the legions of friends I've made over the years. People with lots of talent, enthusiasm, and the quest of the grape. None ever get too serious about their personal attributes, knowledge, or the many roads they've travellrd. Hopefully you'll understand most of us'ns on this board are of this ilk. If you can't stand a little ribbing, cajoling, or even criticism you are really in the wrong forum. By the way, I only give a 2 word name to people when I'm trying to get across something pertinant. If you want to extoll exotit about the hillsides of eastern Oregon there are a couple of boards where you'll be well received. If you want to talk wine with some people who know what they're talking about welcome aboard. AND, never think I'm talking down or ridiculing you on a post. You'll know without innuendo or obtusivness when I am laying it on you.WW

- quijote - 11-14-2003

Brom--Your quotes may be "exact," but they are not necessarily embedded in flawless reasoning. And (anticipating your response) no, I'm not interested in showing you why I say this; you don't want to hear it. On this board, you've created an identity for yourself that is both sharply aggressive and suspiciously defensive. The only good thing is that your attitude is slightly amusing, though I would hate to see this board become "The Brom Channel."

- yabloka - 11-15-2003

Sorry Brom. You missed my point. They have yet to create a computer that shows "dripping with sarcasm."