WineBoard
Port life - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Port life (/thread-15931.html)

- generalken - 06-16-2004

My question is in reference to ports. How long, on average, will a port remain good after it is opened. Does it hang around like a wine would. I have very little experience with ports, other than having them in some nicer resturants. But, I find them very intriguing. I would hate to open a bottle and have it go bad before I could drink all or most of it.

- Brom - 06-16-2004

It is recommended that vintage ports be drunk within a day of opening.

Tawny & Ruby ports may be held for as much as 4-6 weeks after opening.

Rule of thumb - the better the wine, the better to finish early.

- winoweenie - 06-16-2004

Hi GK. I've had the pleasure of meeny vintage ports and find that with the help of " Private Preserve" they will keep on keepin'-om for a week if kept in the fridge. Lots of posts on this subject. WW

- generalken - 06-17-2004

At what temp. should a port be stored prior to opening and is it the same temp for storage after it has been opened?

- generalken - 06-17-2004

Yesterday I stopped by the liquor store and bought some wine and I took some time to gaze in the port section (very unfamiluar territory). I did recognize one of the brand names mentioned in another post on this site. It was Cockburn's. However, the one that they had was not $50. It was Cockburn's Tawny Port and it sold for $11.50. There was nothing on the bottle to indicate its age except the word "Tawny" if that's any indication at all.

When I opened it, it was a pale pink and had the consistancy of regular wine. I was expecting a heavy, nutty, thick golden contents. The taste was fine, rather thin, but it was not what I thought I was getting. Any thoughts...?

- wondersofwine - 06-17-2004

Yes. What you had was undoubtedly a young Tawny which is sometimes more like a ruby Port than what we traditionally think of as a Tawny Port. I prefer 10-year old Tawny Ports (and price goes up for 20-year-old, 30-year old, etc.). Cockburn's 10-year Tawny Port has been my New Year's celebration drink (rather than Champagne) the last two years. I usually pay upper $20s to $30 for a bottle and it lasts me for a week or two. Hope this helps.

I store my Port at room temperature (about 70 F.) until opened and then refrigerate. (If it is going to be consumed within two or three days you might not have to even refrigerate it.) If I had a proper storage unit or wine cellar, I would probably store Port at a colder temperature (55-60) but I usually only have a couple bottles of Port on hand at one time. I don't really collect it.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 06-17-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 06-17-2004

It sounds like generalken had one of Cockburn's generic Tawny Ports rather than one of their aged Tawny's. If the bottle only said Tawny Port, and not 10 Year or 20 Year, then it is a tawny but aged only for 2 or 3 years. As such it really doesn't have the character of the aged tawnys. If you want to truly experience a real tawny, generalken, then spring for the extra few bucks and pick up a Cockburn 10 Year tawny Port. Personally, I prefer 20 year tawnys, because they're much richer and have gobs more character. They match perfectly with a piece of Stilton cheese and walnuts for dessert.

- Brom - 06-17-2004

If you are looking for 'what you might have expected' in a port, or specifically tawny port let me point you to Yalumba's Clocktower port from Australia.

This is rich and unctuous, with a viscous feel, showing flavors of coffee, burnt caramel and orange peel.

Best news, it is probably cheaper than the Cockburns ($8-9).

Many favor the same maker's Galway Pipe or Hardy's "Whiskers Blake" Tawny. they are perhaps more typically "tawny", but I don't think you can go wrong with the Clocktower.

Store porto the same as other wines, 55-60°F

- californiagirl - 06-17-2004

Personally, I would suggest Sandeman's tawny port. I prefer the 20yr. It will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $40. Sandeman also has other very fine ports. Their "generic" ruby port should run you $12 and is quite tasty.

If you want to explore elsewhere, California makes some good "ports", (not true ports b/c they are not made in Portugal). Some good ones are Montevina, Beringer, Ficklin, and Quady's.

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 06-17-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 06-17-2004

Ah, the Sandeman's 20 Year Tawny - very nice stuff.

You're right about the CA "ports". Not true ports, but still some very good wines. I've had all of Brom's Oz "ports" and they're not so bad either. I don't know, though, but maybe after 40 years of drinking these things, I just gravitate toward the real thing because of that something special they have that the other "ports" just can't duplicate.

- Brom - 06-18-2004

Oz ports "not so bad either".

Especially not if you compare $8 to $40.

For the price, I am honestly not all that thrilled with aged tawnies. I would just as well drink Madeira.

I think the best way to distinguish in writing between "port" and the 'real thing' is to use Porto for the genuine article and port for the rest of the world. Saves a keystroke.

- dananne - 06-18-2004

All a matter of personal taste, I suppose. We were half way done with a bottle of Fladgate 20 yr. tawny and my wife asked me if she could switch over to Hardy's Whiskers Blake (a staple in my cellar, and wonderful price/quality ratio).

- Thomas - 06-18-2004

Ah yes, Dan, all wine is a matter of taste. I am slowly getting to the point of making no recommendations--only comments.