WineBoard
To store or not to store--that is the question. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: To store or not to store--that is the question. (/thread-15915.html)

- pergamum - 05-22-2000

I've read on previous posts that storing wine in an excessively warm place is not a wise idea. I agree. However, if you are not wealthy enough to have a wine cellar or a wine cave--wine magazines market these items as affordable, which is almost laughable(my fridge costs $450, the ball park cost of a "wine cave" is roughly $500 and its 3/4 of the size--what can be done? More specifically, what is the best place to store your wine if you don't have a cellar (I live in an apartment and my landlord is a kill-joy when it comes to wine!)? And, more importantly, does anyone know of any web sites that list so called "community cellars" where space can be rented? Thank You!

- hotwine - 05-22-2000

Suggest you check with the wine shops in your area, and ask about the possibility of storing your wines with them. I've heard that some will do that for a quite nominal rental fee per case stored. Another alternative might be to look into these self-storage outfits that seem to be springing up everywhere; since some claim to be climate-controlled, they might be suitable for wine storage (with emphasis on the "might be"). Otherwise - Your need for such a facility might represent a business opportunity. How are your skills at writing business plans?

- winecollector - 05-23-2000

Something else to consider, is maybe you could try to pick up one of those cooling units second hand. In some cases, as people get more involved in collecting wine, they outgrow smaller units and want to move up to a larger one. Also too, you may be able to find them at estate sales.

Another recommendation, would be to try putting a "want to buy" ad in your local paper. There's a lot of serious wine people up there in NY, and you've probably got a pretty decent chance of finding one locally.

Good luck!

- pergamum - 05-23-2000

Hey thanx wine collector! One more question: you wouldn't happen to know a good web site where I could grab this info? For the time being I'm storing my wine in a pantry which is, unfortunately, not temp. controlled. At least I'm keeping it on its side.

- winecollector - 05-24-2000

I honestly don't visit very many web sites, and even have trouble finding the time to keep up to date on this one. From what I've heard though, e-bay may be one that you could try in order to find a used unit. Until you actually find a unit, if you have some valuable wines that you don't intend to open for years, I would recommend you follow Hotwine's advice. Again, being from NY, your going to likely have better access to used wine products as well as wine services than the majority of us from other states.

The following are only a couple of the wine storage places I am aware of in NY. They sometimes advertise their services in the back of Wine Spectator Magazine. Their charges start at $1.10 per case a month and go up from there. All claim to be temperature & humidity controlled, as well as vibration free.

Wine Services Inc. (Meto NY & Long Island)- 1-800-955-WINE, or www.a1stop.com/wine . $1.10 per case per month, pick up and delivery available.

Caves of Carlyle (Manhattan)- 212-977-4900, or fax 212-977-2501. These are private lockers. 48th Street & Eleventh Ave.

Chelsea Wine Vault (New York City)- 212-462-4244, or www.chelseawinevault.com . Open 6 days a week, pick up and delivery arranged.

Vintage Wine Warehouse (Manhattan)- 1-212-245-4889, or fax 1-212-245-4839. Accessable 6 days a week, pick up and deliveries aranged. $1.35 per case per month.

Check them out, and see if any of these appeal to you.

I don't know how many bottles your looking to store. If you don't have too many, maybe check out www.winestat.com . They advertise a product for $149 that you can use with a spare fridge, freezer ($169), or air conditioner. I don't necessarily recommend a unit like this- I'm not convinced there would not be vibration, nor do I know how reliable they are. However, since you can't afford a new wine cooling unit, this may be something that will fit your budget.