WineBoard
aging - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: aging (/thread-15872.html)

- tbarbera - 09-01-2006

how long would i age a 2001 delectus cabernet sauvignon from napa valley? most websites say drink from 2006-2012 but the guy at the wine store told me to have it sit for 15 years. any thoughts?

- Innkeeper - 09-01-2006

From what I understand they don't have a plain ole Napa bottling, but three different vineyards. Go to the winery's site and see what technical information you can find on your bottle. I would like to know th pH and brix of the grapes when they were picked.

The reason for this is I don't know if they belong to the raisin club (over ripe fruit) or the more traditional club. This makes a big difference in aging.

- Kcwhippet - 09-01-2006

Unless you really like the taste of really old wines, I'd put more confidence in what the web sites said than the store guy. Unless the wine has been stored pristinely since bottling, and you'll be storing the same, I would really hesitate to let it lay for 15 and hope for the best. Even my own wines that are meant to age that long are opened sooner because I prefer the taste of younger fruit. It's really a crap shoot if you let them sit till the outer limit of what someone says is the aging range. All that said, I do have some 1990 Bordeaux that are still sitting down, but those are the extreme exeption.

- tbarbera - 09-01-2006

this was all i could find, any thoughts?
2001 Cabernet Sauvignon, Stanton Vineyard $50

Tasting Notes
Plum stew, tobacco leaf, white pepper, and brandied cherries round out the nose. The palate is accessibly structured, supple, really opens up toward the back, long and slightly smoky finish.

Reviews & Accolades
93 Pts – Connoisseur’s Guide
"The hits just keep on coming from this talented winery. Outgoing black cherry aromas tinged with loamy richness, a bit of smoke and briar and roasted vanilla bean notes find their exacting parallel in the wine's deep and rich flavors. Nominally tannic and sure to cellar superbly over the next half decade and more, this stunning effort mixes delicious flesh with ageworthy brawn, and while it can be enjoyed now with savory meats, it deserves a bit of bottle age." (April 2005)

91 Pts – Wine Spectator
"Elegantly styled, with ripe, sumptuous plum, cherry, herb and tobacco scents. The tannins have a tight grip on the finish, where a touch of cedary oak adds a nice measure of complexity. Best from 2006 through 2011." (May 31, 2005)

- Innkeeper - 09-01-2006

Ok, WS says two things that have me concerned. They say it is ripe, (with)sumptuous plum; as well as plenty of tannin to be resolved. To me this means you need to get to the fruit soon before it fades, but wait long enough for the tannin to smooth out. If it was mine I'd be looking at '09 or '10 at the latest.

- winoweenie - 09-01-2006

Hi T. I'd say the guy at the wine store was slightly optimistic. You haven't said what your storage is but unless it is pristine (55* and 60% humidity) I think 8-10 would be advisable. WW

- Kcwhippet - 09-01-2006

There ya go.

- tbarbera - 09-01-2006

thanks for the info. my storage area isnt perfect, just my basement. so i guess ill go with the 8-10 years thing