WineBoard
Maybe I'm weird, but... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Maybe I'm weird, but... (/thread-15865.html)

Pages: 1 2

- barnesy - 02-20-2002

I'm a trumpet man myself, been playing Jazz for nearly 10 years, albeit at an incredibly amateurish level. You can't beat chet baker, satchmo, miles and any of the other greats. Kenny G is to jazz what Arbor Mist is to wine. How's that for SAT knowledge put into practical application. As far as wine rags, I tend to go with Wine and Spirits. They seem to have the better quality articles that cover both modernist and traditionalist methods.

I'm with you guys on wine, I like wine that is beautiful, natural, traditional and this can be found without a huge price tage and a cute number on it.

Barnesy

- Thomas - 02-21-2002

ww, you must have been friends with Leigh (sp) Knowles, of Gallo and then Beaulieu, but before that, of trumpet player...

In the interest of disclosure, I studied piano and drums, but I found I am far better at picking wine and pairing wine with food. There is a lesson in understanding one's limitations, a lesson I think some so-called wine writers could stand to learn.

- Botafogo - 02-21-2002

Re Kenny G, two anecdotes:

The PRESIDENT of Kenny's record label asked me the following question after a long night of tasting: "Ok, you're in a room with Hitler, Stalin and Sadaam Husein, you have a gun and one bullet, who do you kill?" I, ponder and finally say "Stalin, he probably was the biggest bastard of the three.." and he says, "NO! You dumbshit, you shoot Kenny G!!!!"

Then we are at a concert of one of our favorite Brasilian artists, Ed Motta (imagine if Marvin Gaye and Bobby Mcferrin both inhabited Ray Charles' body) and he has his sax player demonstrate the different soprano sax stylings of Sydney Bechet, John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter and "Kenny Gay" (that's how you pronounce the letter G em portogues) to a HUGE audience laughter and then tells the whole crowd and especially the young ones to "search out the real music inside, they are not going to hand it to you, you have to find it".

Roberto

- Josh - 02-21-2002

I wanted to get my two cents in on the Kenny G thing. Kenny G is to music what Franzia wine-in-a-box is to the palate...pre-packaged, commercialized garbage.
Thank you.
P.S. Has anyone tried Quail Ridge wines. The whites are extremely good.

- Machforce1 - 02-21-2002

Has anyone listened to the Kenny G Christmas CD? I think that's one of the worst forms of torture known to mankind.

- Innkeeper - 02-21-2002

I like it.

- wondersofwine - 02-21-2002

WW, you PLAYED with those greats! I'm impressed!

- winoweenie - 02-21-2002

Had more gabanzos than talent. I managed to sit in with lots of the greats and was capable enuf to not get gonged off. Was, as I said, smart enuf jes' like the Food-iepoo to realize I'd be relegated to week-end gigs or Sun-Mon fill-ins for the duration so Followed my talent base and started selling. Been doin' it all my ever-lovin'-put-together
with fairly good redults. My son has a group in Minneapolis and he's determined to make the break from opening group for the biggies to Stardom. Hope he doesn't give up his day gig. WW

- winedope - 02-21-2002

poor Kenny G. is getting hammered here! He's ok, I , too, enjoy his Christmas album. I just don't think that he can compare with the other artists mentioned.

- Botafogo - 02-21-2002

To bring this back to wine (and expensive ones at that), we often make the following anology when expaining why we do not sell the heresies called "Barolo" made by the Di Grazia Gang (Sandrone, Altare and others):

"They are interesting red wines made IN Barolo but they are NOT Barolo due to the way they are made, taste and age. We are sure they could double the prices if they would just make up Vino da Tavola names ending in 'aia', and stop the charade of calling them Barolo (and we wish they would). You know, Earl Klugh (a fantastic guitarist) CAN play Jazz but chooses not to and KNOWS that his hit records are pop instrumentals, not Jazz. Kenny G THINKS he is a jazz guy...."

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 02-21-2002).]

- Tom 1960 - 02-21-2002

Kenny G could only dream he would be compared to any of those greats mentioned. Great topic! Some of you guys should head over to Blue Note Records message boards for some real in depth jazz conversing. I'm over there. I like Barnesy's taste in trumpet players Chet and Miles. I'm also a big fan of Lee Morgan. Sonny Rollins,Hank Mobley,Trane to name a few on Sax. I like Oscar Peterson also on piano. Monk too.

- yclim - 02-21-2002

What is the meaning of life??

Like wine and jazz, what is important is what we like, and not what others like. The view on Life is subjective, so is taste. I love reds, others differ. SO what the hell, I live my life for myself.

Drink what you like and nevermind the rest. It doesn't matter if certain wine is hyped up by 'celebrities', if you could afford to fork out $200++ for a bottle, good for you. If you can't, there are always better alternatives. Always retain objectivity and please yourself.

Wine is like life, you never know when you never try. Live life to the max.

- Thomas - 02-22-2002

yclim, that is true, Guys like Roberto and me try to get people to live by that philosophy instead of having them throw their money around without ever really exploring the alternatives; it is their prerogative to throw the money around, but we are sooooo intent on saving the world from mediocrity that we try to enlighten them anyway...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-22-2002).]

- chittychattykathy - 02-22-2002

Little Ditty-
I almost hit Gorelick with my car one night when he was dumb enough to jay-walk in front of me whilst he was heading into the Wild Ginger (downtown Seattle) with his weapon in hand for what I could only guess was a "surprise" visit to the open "Jazz" sessions they held on Tuesdays.

BTB-
Great point yclim!
Many, many people feel comfort in things they can easily understand or can relate to, this includes; food, jazz, travel, clothes, other people, and yes wine.
Just knowing that you are willing to live a bit more (or in Rob's case a lot) on the "other side" should keep you happy enough, so why not cool it with the low shots!!!
& it is God or whomever/whatever someone believes in that creates "enlightenment", we're just wine people.
Kat

- Thomas - 02-23-2002

cck, welcome back. Not sure I believe that you believe we are taking low shots. We are being the irascible b-----ds that we always have been...but we mean no harm, at least I hope we don't.

- RAD - 02-23-2002

I've been away TOO long! Time to run to the cellar and pop a cork, this is some good readin'! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

RAD

- Hal - 02-26-2002

Coooool man! Hot thread!
I've driven around in my friend's BMW and man I would love to have one but it's just a bit out of reach for me so I drive a Saturn which runs great and never gets broken into.
When I went to buy a guitar I played some very expensive Martins and they just sang under my fingers but they're mostly too steep for me so I left the shop with the most inexpensive one and it sounds really great and I love playing it. For the same reason, I almost exclusively drink $10 wine because it works better with my bugdet. Sure I spend more sometimes, but only if the guy with the wine shop on east fifth street recommends it. There are great, rare, expensive wines to be had, but I drive a Saturn, play a cheap guitar and enjoy my life nevertheless. I read somewhere "If you like old wine, drink someone else's".

- Hal - 02-26-2002

Coooool man! Hot thread!
I've driven around in my friend's BMW and man I would love to have one but it's just a bit out of reach for me so I drive a Saturn which runs great and never gets broken into.
When I went to buy a guitar I played some very expensive Martins and they just sang under my fingers but they're mostly too steep for me so I left the shop with the most inexpensive one and it sounds really great and I love playing it. For the same reason, I almost exclusively drink $10 wine because it works better with my bugdet. Sure I spend more sometimes, but only if the guy with the wine shop on east fifth street recommends it. There are great, rare, expensive wines to be had, but I drive a Saturn, play a cheap guitar and enjoy my life nevertheless. I read somewhere "If you like old wine, drink someone else's". In the meantime, I drink lots of good value wine and smile.

- winoweenie - 02-26-2002

Hal ole top, I think if you review most of the posts on all of the threads on this board, the predominate advice is always "Do your own thing daddi-o !". WW