WineBoard
how to legally sell? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: how to legally sell? (/thread-15835.html)

- terrbear - 01-13-2004

I am fairly new to winemaking and brand new to this post, but I believe that I have made a wine that is sellable,(at least that is what many aquaintences have said). I need to know what paperwork is involved, how to properly label the bottles,(ie.design and printing) and what other things are involved to determine if it is feasable. I already have two boutiques that are willing to carry my wine. thanks, terrbear

- winoweenie - 01-13-2004

Hi Terrbear and welcome to the board. Foodie had a winery in NY and we have visits from many wine people. Once you realize the paperwork, legalities, and dealing with the gov't beaurocrocies you'll probably want to give it away or drink it. Good Luck. WW

- wineguruchgo - 01-13-2004

Hi Terrbear,

Welcome to the wineboard!

My advice to you would be to contact your local BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms). That is the bureau that regulates the sale of alcohol.

Understand though that this is a huge investment on your part. How much are you making? This could end up costing you a small fortune.

Being a beaucratic process, you might be subject to inspections, legal fees, copyrights for the name. In addition, they are going to want to know the amount of alcohol in the wine. If it's over 15% then you are moved into the port section and the tax will be higher.

I know companies who have spent 10's of thousands on just lables to satisfy BATF.

Look into it but be prepared to be shocked/disappointed. Giving it to friends as gifts might be your best bet.

- hotwine - 01-13-2004

Each state controls the production and sales of alcoholic beverages within its borders. You need to identify the state agency that does that in WA and contact them for the information. Since WA has a well-developed wine industry now, starting a new winery should be a fairly straight-forward process - at least, as straight-forward as anything CAN be, with hundreds of tax-hungry bureaucrats involved.

- Kcwhippet - 01-13-2004

Here's the Wine Institute's section on the ATF regs that you may want to look at. Failing that, you should hire a lawyer who is very familar with federal, state and local laws regarding setting up and bonding a winery, required testing to determine the alcohol level of your wine for taxation purposes, submission of your label to the ATF for approval, etc., etc., etc.

- Thomas - 01-13-2004

If you haven't been dissuaded by now--think again.

The American government (fed and local) considers wine a sin and so it is highly regulated (costly licenses, etc.) and a great source of revenue for government too. In addition, wine is treated as a shady profession; you are fingerprinted, your financial records must be laid open to inspectors, the place where you intend to produce and sell the wine must conform to specific regulations, and be inspected--the list goes on.

Incidentally, I don't know what it is called now, but the federal agency that regulates alcohol was split off from firearms--something about homeland security...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-13-2004).]

- hotwine - 01-13-2004

I tried to set up an import business years ago. Had the state ABCC send me the license applications, rules & regs, etc. The danged packet weighed three pounds! And there were 10 licenses required, each annually renewable, costing hundreds of bucks each. Rules were draconian.... license for the vehicle used to pick up the wine at POE restricted its use to just that purpose (couldn't use it for commuting to the shop); the building where the wine was to be stored had to be bonded and couldn't be used for any other purpose; the vehicle drivers had to have special "alcohol transport" licenses; and like Foodie says, each and every license carried inspection requirements (read: employment opportunities for bureaucrats). Other rules were laughable.... couldn't employ a family member as a retailer of my imported products, for example. I unceremoniously dumped that sucker in the garbage. Life is 'way too short to take on that kind of hassle.

- winoweenie - 01-13-2004

As stated earlier Terrbear, you'll want to either give it away or drink it!WW [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- terrbear - 01-14-2004

Wow...I appreciate all your responses! I only wish they were....how should I say..a little less discouraging. I'm afraid I do not have unlimited resources so dumping tons of $$ into it is not an option.
I do however have a degree in graphics and could design something for the label and I have also copyrighted some of my artwork, so I know somewhat of that process.
My exotic fruit starts at 17 brix and the handed-down recipie forces the wine to near
shnaaps levels, so I know I'd be taxed the higher rate unless I water it down.....hmmm
I'd reeaally hate to do that.
There is a guy in my local wine club that is starting a boutique and has already gotten the preliminary lisencing done. He owns acreage and is planning to do raspberries and truck grapes in from the yakima valley. He has offered a 60/40 split (in his favor)to grow the fruit and process. I was reluctant because I didn't want to be taken advantage of, but from the sounds of it, it may be my only hope to make a go of it.
By the way foodie, I love your sense of humour and all of you have made me feel welcome here....and I appreciate the wealth of wisdom.

- Kcwhippet - 01-14-2004

Hey, terrbear. There's a saying in the winemaking business that goes something like "If you want to make a small fortune in the wine business, start with a large one."