WineBoard
Inherited some wines and would like to find out about them. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Inherited some wines and would like to find out about them. (/thread-15825.html)

- Markhorst - 04-18-2004

I have recently inherited several bottles of wine. They are Bolla wines from 77,78,79 and 84-85.
I would like to know something about these wines.
77 Bolla Bardolino, 78 Soave Bolla,79 Soave Bolla,79 Bolla Trebbiano

84 Bolla Bardolino,84 Bolla Valpolicella,85 Bolla Rose,85 Soave Bolla

These were in wooden gift crates, of which the 84-85 crate is in very good condition, the 77-79 crate is in poor condition because a different bottle above the crate opened and emptied onto it and broke out the back of the crate. I am not currently a wine drinker, although I have had a glass with a meal in the past. Any information about the wines or where to get information about these particular wines would be appreciated.
Thanks.
JM.

- Kcwhippet - 04-19-2004

Welcome to the Wine Board, Mark. Sorry to tell you this, but your wines are essentially worthless. I remember those Bolla wines from back then. They were made for drinking within a few years after release. Even those from 1985 are about 15 years too old.

- Markhorst - 04-19-2004

Thanks for the information. I got the same response from contacting Bolla directly. Obviously they can't be drunk, is there any issues with just keeping them for "display" purposes? Or is it just better to open the bottle and let the local municipal water revitalization plant do its thing?

- Kcwhippet - 04-20-2004

They're your bottles. You can do what you want with them.

- Markhorst - 04-20-2004

I was more looking for any issues with the bottles opening up or leaking because the bottles are old. Cork can rot can't it. Any thing I should look for in particular to see if I am going to have any problems with the bottles?
Thanks.

- Kcwhippet - 04-21-2004

Ahh, very clear now. I couldn't tell you for sure if the bottles will leak because I don't know how they've been stored. If they've been on their sides for all these years, you should be fine displaying them. The corks will have stayed wet and well sealed. If they've been standing up then there's a chance the corks are drying out and may leak. You can't really tell if the corks are drying out without removing the foil capsules. About the only indication the corks are drying out might be a lower fill in the bottles than normal.

- Markhorst - 04-21-2004

Thanks, That is what I was afraid of. I have no idea how these were stored. I was hoping for a tell tale sign of the status of the cork. It that the same with champain and sparkling wines as well? After some inspection of other bottles in this "inheritance" I see what looks like mud or wood in the bottom of the bottle. Any ideas what it could be. Again old bottles.
Thanks.

- hotwine - 04-22-2004

The "mud" in the bottle is sediment, quite normal in older wines. Try to avoid disturbing that, to avoid stirring it up and clouding the wine.

See if you can turn the foil capsule gently by hand. If it's loose enough for you to do that, it means there's likely been no leakage past the cork, which happens when corks dry out and shrink. If the foil won't turn, it's likely stuck by dried wine under it, in which case the wine is very likely oxidized ("gone bad"). As KC said, look at the fill level in the bottle - the height of the wine in the neck of the bottle; should be very close to the bottom edge of the foil capsule. If it's more than half an inch lower than the capsule edge, that's not a good sign. Look for tiny air holes in the very top of the foil capsule; if those show any brown residue or stickieness (or that stuff appears anywhere else around the capsule edges), that's a sign of leakage under the foil.

What you're looking for is clues to the condition of the wine without having to open it. But the only sure way to check the condition is to pull the cork and give it a try.