WineBoard
Australian Wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Australian Wines (/thread-15817.html)

- iKobain - 09-04-2001

I've heard that there are 4 main wine manufacturers for Australian wines. Penfolds, Lindemans, What are the other 2 ?

- Drew - 09-04-2001

Ikobain, Welcome. Neither of your answers are correct...just curious, why do you ask?

Drew

- iKobain - 09-05-2001

Penfolds and Lindemans are not? Then which ones are?

Because I would like to try some Australian Wines.

- Drew - 09-05-2001

I smell a homework assignment!?

Drew

- cpurvis - 09-06-2001

iko, if you want to try some Aussie wines, then biggest isn't important...you're preferences are important. Tell us your preferences (red v. white, fruity, sweet, or other) & we'll try to help w/ specific recs. cp

- iKobain - 09-06-2001

What I want to do is, when I go a resturant, I can request a good australian wine myself, I would like to be able to pick a good wine from the wine list, I want to pick good wines by their "brand".
If I see the french wine list and I see that they are Lafite or LaTour, I would choose them because they are famous. That's why I would like to know some good brands of aussie wines.

And please tell me what is wrong with Penfolds and Lindemans.

And no this is not for homework.

- Thomas - 09-06-2001

Ikobain, I think there is some confusion here. You said you are told there are 4 main wine manufacturers in Australia. Perhaps there are 4 main manufacturers but there are many wine producers. Semantics migh be at work here. Wine manufacturing is not the same as producing wine, which is a particular art/science/occupation.

If I am correct, you are in Australia. Isn't there an information source at home, re the wine industry.

- Drew - 09-06-2001

Sorry Iko, we're a little sensitive about doing homework for students. Here's the answer to your question.

ikobain, welcome. There is a big 4 in Australia.
*The Big Four*
-Southcorp
-BRL Hardy
-Orlando Wyndham
-Mildara Blass

-SOUTHCORP company controls the following subsidiaries or major brands:
Penfolds (main brands include Grange, Bin 707, Koonunga Hill)
Lindemans
Seppelt
Wynns Coonawarra Estate
Kaiser Stuhl
Seaview
Tollana
Rouge Homme
Coldstream Hills
Killawarra
Tulloch
Great Western
Matthew Lang
Queen Adelaide
Leo Buring
Devil's Lair
Hungerford Hill

-BRL HARDY group operates a number of wineries and brands:
Berri Estates
Renmano
Leasingham
Stanley
Houghton
Hardys Reynella Winery
Hardys Tintara Winery
Yarra Burn
Banrock Station

-ORLANDO WYNDHAM operates:
Orlando
Wyndham Estate
Morris Wines
Richmond Grove
Gramps
Montrose
Craigmoor
Hunter Estate
Wickham Hill
and the export brand Jacobs Creek

-MILDARA BLASS operates:
Mildara
Wolf Blass
Quelltaler Estate
Yellowglen
Balgownie
Krondorf
Eaglehawk
Tisdall
Yarra Ridge
Andrew Garrett
Baileys
Rothbury Estates
St Huberts
Saltram
Ingoldby
Jamieson’s Run brand
Maglieri

This is, of course, a quick overview of the big four only as there are many other wineries in Oz.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 09-06-2001).]

- cpurvis - 09-06-2001

A few thoughts:

1)Few "brands" are absolutely consistent at a certain quality level...vintage years can differ dramatically, so the styles & quality can vary widely from one year to the next. Better to ask what's the best wine to go with the meal.

2)However, nothin' wrong with the big guys like Penfolds & Lindemans. Go to the Australia/New Zealand/South Africa wine forum on this site, click on "Show topics from last year" or "Show all topics" and you will see notes on both those producers as well as several others. The various notes may give you a better idea about what to request in a restaurant.

3)Specific dependable "brands": Many of us like the Rosemount wines & Greg Norman wines.

Hope this helps. cp

- iKobain - 09-07-2001

Thanks for the great info guys~
really appreciated!

- mrdutton - 09-07-2001

Didn't Wyndham recently buy out Rosemount? I thought I read about that in a past edition of the speculum.

Greg Norman and Rosemount both produce some pretty good juice, in my humble opinion.