WineBoard
Loring's wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Loring's wines (/thread-15799.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 10-20-2004

Yesterday I received Brian Loring's order form. I'd like to splurge a litte and get a couple of bottles of something nice for Thanksgiving. Is there anything there that would go suitably with traditional TG fare? If not, maybe Christmas dinner (beef)?

- Innkeeper - 10-20-2004

Methinks they would go fine with both. The trick is to figure which one to get as they are all the same (high) price. I have had good luck with the Gary's Vineyard and the Clos Pepe in the past. It may be best to go with his own ratings. The Llama (a blend of vineyards) may be the best.

- Kcwhippet - 10-20-2004

I'd echo IK. Any one of Brian's wines would work great, but the Garys' is big enough to handle anything. My personal favorite is the Rosella's.

- Bucko - 10-20-2004

Keep in mind these are not typical or rather classic Pinots. They are BIG -- not something to have with salmon or a light pork tenderloin dish. They need hearty foods.

- Innkeeper - 10-20-2004

Amen. Bucko is 100% correct. I happen to be the sort that like both extreme styles of Pinot. Tonight we will be having a Salmon Run Pinot with grillpanned smoked pork chops, but would love to have a Loring for Christmas.

- Georgie - 10-20-2004

Thanks for the advice everybody! I'm eager to taste some of Brian's wines. I hear I missed it at foodie's gathering in May.

- Thomas - 10-20-2004

I didn't miss it. But I have to say, it is not my cup of Pinot Noir.

One reason I like the variety is the delicacy of the wine, especially in cool climate growing. Loring's PN's are beautifully made wines, no doubt about it. But they might as well be Cabernet Sauvignon--too big for what I look for in a Pinot Noir.

- Bucko - 10-20-2004

*But they might as well be Cabernet Sauvignon--too big for what I look for in a Pinot Noir.*

Foodie, I used the word Syrah and was taken to task for it. Apparently several CA wineries don't like comparing their Pinots to anything but Pinot.

- Thomas - 10-21-2004

Actually, Bucko, Syrah is a better description...

- californiagirl - 10-21-2004

I'm stuck with a dilemma. I'm on mailing lists for Lewelling, A.P.Vin, and Loring. My storage space is limited, as well as the pocket book. What to do???

- Kcwhippet - 10-21-2004

Get em all.

- californiagirl - 10-21-2004

Can I borrow your credit card?

- Georgie - 10-22-2004

I think Dad could give you some Christmas presents....

- Kcwhippet - 10-22-2004

Don't give her any ideas!

- Bucko - 10-22-2004

Buy Rhone -- cheaper, better.

- californiagirl - 10-22-2004

Actually, the PN's are only cheaper b/c there is no s/h. Lewelling is $45 sold in pairs, Loring is $42 and A.P.Vin is $41.

- winoweenie - 10-22-2004

CG I agree with most of the above. Knowing that money matters I personally would go for the Cargassacchi, Clos Pepe, or the Llama. According to Brian these are the best of his new offeriongs. The Rosella's is a close second. WW

- californiagirl - 10-23-2004

Well- I decided against the Garys from Loring b/c I'm getting the A.P.Vin, and b/c Brian said that his has more "earthiness". I don't tend to like the mushroom flavor I get from some PN's. I like the big Ca. fruit as opposed the the Burgandy style.
Ordered the Cargasacchi and Llama. And Clos Pepe for Thanksgiving. Sounded more like my style PNs.
Bummer about the sampler packs [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img] Very understandable though.

Funny- just realized those were ww's picks!

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 10-23-2004).]

- Bucko - 10-23-2004

If you like that style of Pinot, give Panther Creek out of OR a try -- good juice for the style.

- californiagirl - 10-23-2004

Do you have a favorite? The Bednarik and Temperance Hill both look great.