WineBoard
a little survey of experience - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: a little survey of experience (/thread-15763.html)

- rentech - 04-13-2000

While this may be my first post, I have been scouring this board pretty intensely for the past week or so (much like picking up a good book and not being able to put it down) and I would just like to get to know more about everyone’s experience in the world of wines.

I would especially love to hear from those who have posted much on this board, as I hope to gain insight as to where all of this information comes from.

While I know that everyone’s background will no doubt influence how they respond to this post, I might suggest a small framework to begin with

1. How do you fit in to the wine world right now (merchant, enologist, vintner or just plain oenophile)?

2. What/who led you to find a real love for wines?

3. Pertinent biographical information?

4. What did you last drink?

- Thomas - 04-13-2000

To answer in order:

1. Have been all three in the past, going to be a merchant again soon, and also a wine and food writer (write columns and have a book due out in July). Also sold wine for a distributor.

2. Born into it.

3. You got it in number 1.

4. Raimat 1989 Abadia Reserva, with black beans, rice and center cut pork in chili and cilantro sauce.

Now that you have it all, please do not send me an advertisiment....

- Bucko - 04-13-2000

Answer a question with a question -- Are you writing an article, or is it purely personal interest?

Bucko

- rentech - 04-13-2000

Just personal interest. Don't worry guys I'm not about to sell you out, I myself am just starting to develop my taste in wines, and I just want to learn a bit more about the source of all the information that gets posted to this board. To answer my own question:

1. I'm just beginning my exploration of wine.

2. My girlfriend and her parents sparked my interest in wine by sharing with me a bottle of 1982 Pichon Longueville Lalande. I was amazed that a beverage could just transform in my hand as we sat there. I never realized that wine could be so fun. So that's why I'm here.
3. I'm originally from the bay area (CA), but am currently an undergraduate student here in NY. Not really wine-related, but it's all I've got.

4. 1997 Louis M Martini cab with yummy gouda left over from the last time I went home.

- mrdutton - 04-13-2000

1. How do you fit in to the wine world right now (merchant, enologist, vintner or just plain oenophile)?

Actually not even an oenophile, maybe a half-way afficionado. I learn each day more about wine than I know, so I certainly don't even approach "expert".

2. What/who led you to find a real love for wines?

My Father's father and my parents introduced me to wine at a fairly young age. Then my world travels while in the Navy expanded my horizons and my love of wine considerably.

3. Pertinent biographical information?

Semi-retired, aged 51. Traveled extensively: Caribbean, South America, Asia, Western Europe, Northern and Eastern Africa, Mid-East, Mediterranean. Have actually circumnavigated the world aboard a Navy ship.

4. What did you last drink?

1996 Cline Vineyards Cotes D'Oakley - I started with about 5 cases three months ago and now have 2 left. This stuff is my "vin de table".