WineBoard
two problems - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Welcome (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-1.html)
+--- Thread: two problems (/thread-15664.html)

- Thomas - 11-20-1999

Jackie,

A couple of days ago the little locks that identify new postings stopped being highlighted, and after posting I could no longer back up to previous pages. Any suggestions?

- Bucko - 11-20-1999

I am having the same problems with the locks/suitcases. No problems with backing up though.

Bucko

- Jerry D Mead - 11-20-1999

My suitcases aren't turning pink...and after I answer any messages ALL my lightbulbs turn yellow, making it impossible to track new messages.

- Jackie - 11-21-1999

Hmmmm. I'm looking into these glitches. I made a couple of configuration changes. This is a test. Pls. hang in there.

- Jackie - 11-21-1999

The little suitcases (actually they are supposed to look like little file folders) indicate which topics are open for discussion and which are closed with a lock in front.

The yellow lightbulbs indicate where new messages have been posted. I have had to "update" all the threads today, in order to have the domain name "wines.com" show up on the URL instead of the IP numbers. This will cause your cookie to think that all messages are "new" since your last visit. This should only happen once, then your next visit will track newer messages. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. It is the only way I could move the board without totally shutting it down for several days. The problem should disappear after a couple of visits.

I am investigating another issue too. When a reply is posted, the software automatically takes you back to the thread but does not display YOUR reply unless you press the "refresh" or "rereload" button on the browser. The old software was better in this regard. I am asking the developers to explain why this a happening and, hopefully, give me a workaround.... To be continued.

- Jackie - 11-21-1999

Well, after some testing, I think the problem with the "refesh" has to do with the browser that one uses. I had this problem earlier today with Netscape Communicator 4.5 and am now testing with Internet Explorer 5.0.

RIGHT - This passed the test. The Internet Explorer browser does bring you back to the previous thread and DOES display your reply or edit immediately.

The other browser, Netscape, and maybe the default AOL browser does NOT display your reply immediately. It has to be manually
REFRESHED or RELOADED to see your addition.

I'm notifying the software company of this problem and hope they can create a fix for us.

[This message has been edited by Jackie (edited 11-21-1999).]

- Jackie - 11-21-1999

Now I am using Netscape Communicator 4.5 and the refresh appears to be working properly. If you are having a problem, please check the settings in your browser:

For Netscape, select Edit & Preferences & click on Advanced, then Cache. Be sure that
"Document in cache is compared to document on network" is set to EVERY TIME.

For MS Internet Explorer, check the settings by selecting Tools, then Internet Options. Under the tab labeled General, look for Temporary Internet Files and go to Settings.
You should see several choices under "Check for newer versions of stored pages". Be sure that "EVERY VISIT TO THE PAGE" is selected.

This is the first thing to check, if you are not seeing your messages appear automatically after you submit them.

Of course, you can always hit "refresh" or "reload" to see your messages but it is better if your browser will display them for you.

[This message has been edited by Jackie (edited 11-21-1999).]