WineBoard
Hello Moderators - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Welcome (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-1.html)
+--- Thread: Hello Moderators (/thread-15611.html)

- wineguruchgo - 08-22-2004

Is there any way of adding another section to the board? Maybe replacing Jerry's Kids (which hasn't been used in two years) with a section of questions that have been answered a million times!

Wine descriptions

Aging Wine

Shelf life of open bottle

etc.....

I think that the frustration level of many on the board (both old and new) would be lowered if we could direct the newbies to wine to a section of the board that they can find their answers.

Just a thought. I'm willing to help with the information.

wgc

- Thomas - 08-22-2004

guru,

I have brought this matter up more than once--hasn't gone anywhere for reasons I don't know, but we should get it done.

- winoweenie - 08-22-2004

WG the reason that Jerrys' Kids thread is still here is because Jerry Mead was one of the founders of this board and the reason many of us inhabit it. As far as I'm concerned I think the idea you bring up is one we all agree should happen, BUT, IMHO not by replacing Jerrys' thread. Make a new one. WW

- californiagirl - 08-22-2004

Good points. But isn't that what the novice thread is for? I would expect to see the same questions over and over, without any member being frustrated or agitated. A novice is expected to be unexperienced. They might not necessarily know to search for the answers to the questions. Novices should be able to ask any question- no matter how ignorant it may seem to an experienced person.

Maybe create a "basic question" thread and combine the "tech tips" and "ask your moderator" forums.

Regardless, I still believe the novice forum is enough.

- Thomas - 08-23-2004

CG,

What I would like to see is a forum that answers the most asked questions which can be answered in advance, i.e:

What temperature should wine be served?
How long can one store an open bottle?

That sort of stuff. A forum with FAQ and answers would take care of those, and then the rest of the questions on the novice thread would be for those with more complex answers.

- winoweenie - 08-23-2004

Would work for me....and WHO'S AGITATTTTTTED!!!?????? WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- wineguruchgo - 08-23-2004

It's really sad that pleas go ignored. I belong to other forums (not wine) and the moderators/administrators/owners generally do what they can to keep the board alive.

CG - people here to get aggrivated answering the same questions over and over. Unfortunately newbies don't think of doing a search before they ask a question.

In the handyman forum I belong to there are posts that are permanent within a section that people are asked to read before they post their question because their answer is probably in there. That would work here as well.

- Bucko - 08-23-2004

Only Jackie can change the board and her health has precluded much interaction. Preaching to the choir..........

- Thomas - 08-23-2004

and today my light bulbs started acting up again...

- californiagirl - 08-23-2004

I also belong to another forum that is situated a little different. When you access each individual forum topic, there is a permanent section for frequently asked questions, and a place where you can ask add'l questions regarding the issue. I do think it is a valid point. Because the moderators, (and long standing members) use the tech tips and moderator forums- it seems the most logical to combine, since one cannot be eliminated. Another 2 that could be combined may be wine biz/investments and collectors/auction news- both somewhat similar and rarely used.

Other than Jackie, can't the other moderators make any changes?

- Bucko - 08-23-2004

We can move messages (frequent) and delete messages (rare) -- that's it, no magic decoder ring.

- Jackie - 09-05-2004

Hi Guys,

I am back. Sorry to have fallen behind. I know that the subject of a FAQ has come up before.

There are a couple of ways that we can accomplish this.

1) I was planning on creating a series of web pages that listed frequently asked questions and give answers, which I would consolidate from the board's answers to that question over the last several years. In order to do this, I just need a list of the topics that you ' all think I should include. I would summarize the board's discussion of the topic, or just select one of the best answers that I could find on the subject. This is a fairly time-consuming approach but it would be easy for newcomers to find answers quickly.

2) I could establish a new forum for FAQ's and post an "announcement" on that forum which would list common topics with links to past answers. The only problem here is that new uses with more than one question are going to be jumping around looking for answers/questions/answers, etc.

3) I could post an announcement over the entire board (similar to the "How To Post A Message" announcement above), which would explain how to use the SEARCH function to find answers to basic questions. Something like "How to Find Quick Answers to Basic Questions".

There are probably other ways to handle this too. I am still planning on #1 but I would like to hear others' suggestions.

I've read the comments above and don't quite see how the board would be helped by adding a new forum for "FAQs or RBQ's -- Really Basic Questions" alone because past responses are not going to be listed automatically... To go back in history, you have to search or create special html pages.

Other ideas? Comments?

Jackie

See <A HREF="http://wines.com/ubb2/Forum39/HTML/000435.html">http://wines.com/ubb2/Forum39/HTML/000435.html</A>

- wondersofwine - 09-07-2004

Probably #1 would be most useful to newcomers although it might be the most work for you. Topics to cover might be--suggesting some "sweet" wines, shelf life and basic storage of wines once opened, "allergy" to wine, health benefits of wine, basic book titles to start learning more about wine, how to find the value of an older wine.

- Thomas - 09-07-2004

WOW has hit the nail with that response. I second.

- Innkeeper - 09-07-2004

Let's not forget wine for my daughter's 21st birthday that occurs 20 years from now!