WineBoard
Single guy in NYNY looking for a wine shop :) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Favorite Wine Stores (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: Single guy in NYNY looking for a wine shop :) (/thread-15457.html)

Pages: 1 2

- TheEngineer - 11-28-2005

Yeap...that's me...stuck in midtown for a couple of days. I would like to see if I can get to Is-Wine and look for Foodie, if not, anyone know of a few good places around town? Could be midtown, downtown, Soho, etc,...Have legs, will travel.

- Thomas - 11-28-2005

Eng,

I am no longer on the floor at is-wine, but if you want to check it out it's 225 East 5th Street.

Take F train downtown to Houston Street station (2nd Avenue). Walk north to East 5th (5 blocks) turn left on the northside of the street, walk just short of halfway up the block.

On your way back uptown, when you leave is-wine walk west on 5th Street to Cooper Square (Third Avenue). Turn right, walk a couple of blocks to the Astor Place train station--and you can take a look at the larger Astor Wines and Liquors.

Midtown is problematic for wine, unless you go to Morell's at Rockefeller Center or Park Avenue Liquors at 50th Street, I think.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-28-2005).]

- wondersofwine - 11-28-2005

Two other wine shops: I have been to Burgundy Wine Company which specializes in Burgundy and Rhone wines and Oregon Pinot Noir (143 W. 26th St. between 6th and 7th Avenues). Their prices seem quite high but that could stem from New York real estate prices and taxes. They have bottles open for tasting 5:00 to 7:00 PM and on Saturdays.

I also hear about Chambers at 160 Chambers St. (west of West Broadway in Tribeca). They carry a good selection of Loire wines among other regions.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-28-2005).]

- TheEngineer - 11-28-2005

Many thanks!

- Innkeeper - 11-28-2005

We also recommend Chambers Street. We order from them regularly.

- Thomas - 11-29-2005

IK, don't think the guys at is-wine hadn't noticed either...

- TheEngineer - 11-30-2005

Got yanked to go to Washington DC this afternoon so didn't have time to go anywhere. Hope to get back to NYNY soon and I'll make sure I get to one of those. It's such a great place to be before Christmas.

- Thomas - 11-30-2005

December is the worse month in which to try to find a parking space, or even to try crossing the street...

- wondersofwine - 11-30-2005

Foodie, you may be right but don't be a grinch. I enjoyed seeing the windows of Marshall Fields in Chicago one Thanksgiving weekend and I'm sure Rockerfeller Center and other venues are attractions to the NYC visitor in December. Who drives a car in NYC anyway? Not me! And I doubt that it is any colder than some of the March weather I encountered on one visit to New York.

- Thomas - 11-30-2005

WOW,

After a few decades, first growing up in NYC and then working and living there on and off, I have a right to be a grinch about it [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

Incidentally, not only do I drive when in the city, I know all the parking possibilities, but if I tell you where they are I shall have to kill you.

I learned how to drive by being a NYC taxi driver in my youth. Used to drive at night carrying a Spanish wine sack that was filled at the start of the shift and completely cleaned out by the end of the shift. As I said, I was young.

I've spent some time in New York in my real youth....too small to remember much, but I still find it a city with lots going on and a nice energy. People are a lot nicer than they are given credit for too... in all honestly, Boston fares much worse in this regard. BTW, Parking locations in NYNY are guarded with the same care as white truffle locations. Only they change sometimes so they cannot be passed on though the generations like the Truffle hunters.

BTW, d@mn bumpy flights yesterday and today....@#$!$#!@$.

- hotwine - 11-30-2005

If the oxygen masks aren't dangling under your nose the whole flight, it's a piece of cake.

- wondersofwine - 11-30-2005

Foodie, I don't know who was braver--you to do all that city driving or your passengers!
DC is another city where the parking places are treasures and the driving can get hairy. I prefer driving in San Diego where once you adjust to the pace of the freeways, it's pretty easy to get around.

EngII, those bumpy flights yesterday coincided with a day of near-constant rain in NC. We need the rain around here--went from something like a 9-inch deficit last week to about 6-inch deficit now.

- Thomas - 11-30-2005

WOW,

I've driven in NY City, Boston, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington DC, Baltimore, Miami, Newark, Jersey City, Philadelphia, Verona, Milan, Paris, Geneva, Tehran, Athens, and many other lesser cities in Europe and here.

Of them all: DC is by far the worst!

- Kcwhippet - 11-30-2005

If you ever tried driving in Taipei, you'd put DC second.

Foodie,

My list looks roughly the same as yours but tack on Toyko, Hong Kong, Macau, Beijing, Bangkok, Morocco, .....

Craziest that I have not seen....Shanghai
Craziest that I have seen... Bangkok
Craziest in a mild manner way, Marrachesh
Crazy and happy at the same time, Southern Portugal
Craziest in North America, Montreal
Worst in North America,...Sorry but Boston folks are just nasty to the core....They may be worst elsewhere, but only in Boston is it completely personal.

- Innkeeper - 11-30-2005

Tripoli before the current dictator was in power could have been the worst. People would thow their small children in front of your car in order to collect from the Melicans.

- Thomas - 11-30-2005

I wasn't talking about the drivers, I was talking about driving the city layout.

If you want to talk about the drivers--Boston does have some truly disgusting driver habits, as does all of New Jersey, and many places in the East.

In Tehran, the largest movable device has the right of way, and that includes humans trying to cross the street against an oncoming bus facing a red light!

- winoweenie - 12-01-2005

I'm sorry to disagree but I've never encountered as many bad drivers as in Mexico City. (OOPPPSS!!!! Take that back. Spend an afternoon in Mesa, Az dodging the withe-haired snowbirds. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]