WineBoard
Vino100 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Favorite Wine Stores (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: Vino100 (/thread-15450.html)

- mrdutton - 10-20-2005

Anyone have any thoughts on this chain? They just opened up a store here in Virginia Beach, VA. Their sales pitch is that they will stock wines that are drinkable (aren't they all?) and affordable (ah hah, now there's the real pitch). Wines in the store run between $7.00 and $25.00 a bottle. I visited and bought a Prosecco, a CDR and a Cali Syrah. Then I hit the cheese display and really spent some money! They had a nice selection of artisinal cheeses. I bought two cheese selections, a double Gloucester cheddar and a semi-soft cheese that was likened to a young Asiago.

Anyway, I was happy with the store's selection of reds and whites which ran the gamut from Old World to New World and were not all French or Cali. Austrailia, New Zealand, South America, Rommania, Italy and Spain were also represented. No NY State wines and no Virginia Wines.

- hotwine - 10-20-2005

Welcome back, Mike.

Never heard of Vino100, but sure sounds like a chain I'd like to get to know.

- Thomas - 10-20-2005

My prediction:

The future American retail wine trade will be:

1. Large supermarkets for plonk and for high-end but only named brands.

2. Retailers filling the qpr niche with some high end thrown in.
I am proud to say that Roberto and I were among the early crop of these retailers (looks like Stevebody has joined, and of course Vino100).

3. Internet shopping for all wines.
To make this last one work, we will have to get wine shipping sorted out...so we are left with the first two.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-20-2005).]

- Innkeeper - 10-20-2005

There is a fourth option Thomas. Not that I'm a big fan, but that which we have to live with more or less. These are large state stores run by states like New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. Although there are still problems aplenty (New Hampshire warehouses are suspect), they have come a long way baby.

The last time I lived here was in the '77 to '82 timeframe. We bought most of our wine in MA. At one point our base commander at Pease was leaving and a friend and I decided to get the ole man and his wife a case of Chardonnay since they both liked it. I forget what the brand was, but the largest liquor store in the state had only one choice above the plonk level.

Today there is an excellent choice of wines in all catgegories from all over, with full long rows of Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and the usual suspects. I understand that PA has improved over my college days there from '57 to '59.

- jv38 - 11-20-2005

Vino 100 is the store where I bought my wines this days in Fort Myers FL. What I like of this store is that they have a selection of wines that I haven't found in any store before at a good price. They offer 15% discount in a case of mixed bottles. They always have a couple of open bottles for tasting.

But what I like the most is that the owners, Tom and Nancy, are wine geeks as me so I just great conversations about wine while shopping.