WineBoard
Tasting at The Vineyard - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Favorite Wine Stores (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: Tasting at The Vineyard (/thread-15373.html)

- Innkeeper - 05-17-2002

Went to the The Vineyard in Bucksport tonight for their monthly tasting (3d Friday). As usual they had three whites and three reds.

1. 2000 Basa, Rueda, Spain ($11). Blend of Verdjo-SB-Viura. Very fragrant on nose and up front. Nice acidity. Bought two.

2. 2001 Dry Creek Vineyard, California, Chenin Blanc ($11). Sweet.

3. 1999 Sequoia Grove, Carneros, Chardonnay ($16). No mal. Sur lee in oak barrels. Oaky.

4. 2000 Tasso, Chianti, Italy ($11). Great value in a Chianti. Small producer. Probably not widely available.

5. 1999 Pedroncelli, "Mother Clone", Dry Creek Valley, Zinfandel ($16). Very nice zin. Would go great with BBQ. I think there are better values at this price point.

6. 1999 Tatachilla, McClaren Vale, Grenache Shiraz ($16). Very nice, and much bigger than the Rosemount. Worth twice the price? Nah.

Look for the Rueda.

- hotwine - 05-17-2002

Those are my kind of TNs, IK. Thanks.

- Scoop - 05-18-2002

I have tried the Rueda, IK, and I fully agree: it's a nice, all-purpose white to have around, especially for the price.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Thomas - 05-19-2002

I've had the Tatachilla and agree--good wine, priced too high.

- Innkeeper - 05-23-2002

Guess Tatachilla is feeling the pinch from the wine glut. Just received a shipment from Southern Hemisphere Wines (www.southernwines.com) of a half case of their 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz (Reg $14.99) for $9.99 each. Also picked up a half case of 2000 St Andrews Estate, Ceravolo, Unwoooded Chardonnay, South Australia for $7.99 each. Will give full reports of these later, but we bottom feeders have to strike fast; I've learned.

- Innkeeper - 06-23-2002

Results of June tasting at The Vineyard:

2001 Silverado, Sauvigon Blanc, Napa ($16). Had all the required structural elements with just a tad too much oak for us.

2001 Wildhorse, Chardonnay, Central Coast ($16). Oak bomb.

2000 Moreau, Vouvray, Loire ($11). Lovely wine from the Burgundian negotiant moved west. Slighly off dry, making it comparable for food matching with Riesling Kabinett. Bought it.

2000 Masi, Modello Delle Venezie, Veneto ($11). Very refreshing light red to go with lots of summer dishes. Asked about rest of Masi line. Distributor said he had a few cases of Bardolino, but opined that Bolla puts presure on importers to quash the competition. Bought it.

1998 Mirassou, Petite Syrah, Central Coast ($16). This was the hit of the evening. It is a special edition wine in honor of their founder. It is 88% petite sirah, and 12% sangiovese. It is ready to go now, and with the added acidity from the sangio, could improve it over the next three or four years. Bought it.

2001 Kemton Clark, "Mad", Zinfandel ($11). This is one of R.H. Phillips, and "Mad" means multiple appellation districts. It was limpid with no varietal character. Kicker was that there was R.H. Phillips Cabernet Sauvignon in the store for $10! I pointed this out to people.