WineBoard
MD, PA, NoVA recommendations needed - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: MD, PA, NoVA recommendations needed (/thread-15306.html)

- thewoodman - 05-14-2003

I'll be visiting in the Northern Virginia, Baltimore, and Lehigh Valley, PA areas for a couple of weeks in June. Any wineries, wine shops, or restaurants I shouldn't miss? Thanks for the advice.

- Innkeeper - 05-14-2003

Am sure Drew and possibly Mike Dutton will have lots of advice. Here are some places I'm personally familiar. If you happen to get out into Ellicott City, MD recommend Jason’s Wine & Spirits. It is on the south side of Route 40 in the commercial part of town. Horton Vineyard in VA is obligatory. Chaddsford in SE PA is the flagship winery in PA. Kennett Square, PA is the mushroom capitol of America. Hugo's on Route 1 has mushroom soup to die for. If you are in that neck of the woods, be sure to visit Longwood Gardens and the Brandywine Museum (three generations of Wyeth works).

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-14-2003).]

- wondersofwine - 05-14-2003

In Northwest DC I recommend Macarthur Beverages (also known as Bassin's.) It is located near Canal Road, Foxhall Road, close to some of the embassies. Website is www.bassins.com. Portner's was a very good restaurant in Alexandria, VA. (Wide choice of restaurants in whole northern Virginia, DC area.)
Boordy is the oldest established Maryland winery. It is in northeastern Baltimore County. For this and other Maryland wineries see www.marylandwine.com.
If you like Italian food, visit the Little Italy section of Baltimore. I usually book at Boccaccio's--Luciano Pavarotti has eaten there. Purple Orchid on Charles Street has Chesapeake Bay seafood and Asian and French cuisine. (Small, intimate restaurant.) I have been there when a film crew was discussing the filming of a football movie in Baltimore (I think "Replacements" or "Any Given Sunday").
Prime Rib Restaurant on N. Calvert Street is expensive but known for elegance and good beef. There are plenty of seafood places and a couple German and Greek restaurants. City Lights, right in Harbor Place, seems to have pretty decent food along with the harbor or plaza overlook. It's fun to take the river taxi from spot to spot; the National Aquarium is in Baltimore; also an IMAX theater; Fells Point is fun for the casual restaurants and funky shops and all the sidewalk strollers. I've even had good seafood at a couple restaurants in Fells Point. Actually, Baltimore is probably a better restaurant town than most people realize. It may not always be a trendsetter, but it offers a variety of ethnic choices and Chesapeake Bay catches.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 05-14-2003).]

- Drew - 05-14-2003

Some restaurants I would recommend are:

Corks.
http://www.corksrestaurant.com/ South Baltimore and

Bandaloops which is next to Corks..
Casual creative cuisine in friendly atmosphere • 1024 South Charles Street • 410-727-1355

and Sisson's Restaurant & Brewery
Maryland's 1st brewpub • 36 East Cross Street • 410-539-2093

and

Charlestons. Inner Harbor west.

http://www.charlestonrestaurant.com/

Charlestons is very expensive but an experience. They have a huge wine library.

Woodman, Email me at Xldrive@aol.com if you want more info bout' Baltimore.

And if you come to Baltimore you'll need the following.

First you must learn to pronounce the city name. It is Bawl-a-mer, or Ball-tee-more depending on if you live North or South of Route 40.

Next, if your road map is more than a few weeks old, throw it out and buy a new one. If near Howard County and your map is one day old, then it is already obsolete.

On Monday, you don't wash your clothes, you Warsh them. Before you eat a meal you don't wash your hands, you Warsh them in Wuder.

Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Baltimore has its own version of traffic rules . . . "Hold on and pray."

There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Baltimore. We all drive like that.

All directions start with, "The Beltway" . . . which has no beginning and no end.

The morning rush hour is from 6 to 11. The evening rush hour is from 1 to 7.

Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out and possibly shot. When you are the first one on the starting line, count to five when the light turns green before going to avoid crashing with all five of the drivers running the red light in cross-traffic. (However if you don't go as soon as it turns green, then you get the horn)

Construction on I-97 is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment.. Interesting that it's called "an Interstate," but runs only from the Beltway to Annapolis. Opening in 1992, it has been torn up and
under re-construction ever since. (Does Former Gov. Glendenning have any relatives who build highways?)

All unexplained sights are explained by the phrase, "Oh, we're in GLIMBURNIE!"

If someone actually has their turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect.

Car horns are actually "Road Rage" indicators.

All old ladies with blue hair in Buicks have the right of way. Period.

All roads mysteriously change their names as you cross intersections.

If asking directions in Ellicott City or Columbia, you must have knowledge of how to speak Korean. If in Randallstown, Ebonics will be your best bet. If you stop to ask directions in Brooklyn, . . . well, don't.

A trip across town (north to south) will take a minimum of four hours, although the tunnel does have on occasion, more than one lane open. But never on holiday weekends.

The minimum acceptable speed on the Beltway is 85. Anything less is considered downright sissy.

The Beltway is our daily version of NASCAR.

If it's 10 degrees, It's Oriole's opening day. If it's 110 degrees, it's opening day at Ravens Stadium.

If the humidity is 98+ and the temperature is 98+, it's May/June/July/August/September.

If you go to a football game, pay the $75.00 to park "Ravens Lot".

Parking elsewhere could cost up to $7500 for damages, towing fees, parking tickets, etc.

If some guy with a flag tries to get you to park in his yard during Preakness, run over him. It's probably not his yard anyway.

WELCOME TO BALTIMORE HON!

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 05-14-2003).]

- wondersofwine - 05-15-2003

LOL numerous times, Drew.

- hotwine - 05-15-2003

Holy cow, what a nightmare! And I thought it was sporting to drive on San Antonio's streets!

- winoweenie - 05-15-2003

Probably the most descriptive, enlightning, provacative, constructive, belittling, sarcastic, nonsensical, hilarious travelouge I've encountered since the Information Minister from Beruit was cancelled. Any Comedy Clubs in Balustrol there Drewski? I'll be your agent. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]