WineBoard
Wines tasted on Monterey Peninsula - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Wines tasted on Monterey Peninsula (/thread-15293.html)

- wondersofwine - 11-01-2007

After browsing at my favorite Carmel, Ca art gallery Wednesday and lunching at Merlot's Bistro, I stopped in Southern Latitude Wines on Lincoln Avenue, Carmel. Of note were the 2006 Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand (I had the Spy Valley Gewurztraminer at the FWS meeting Monday night) and the 2002 Howard park Scottsdale Shiraz, Margaret River, Western Australia. The S.B. was crisp with lime, grapefruit and gooseberry flavors and a pretty nose. The Shiraz was okay but I was perhaps expected more having heard Howard Park hyped in e-mails from Carolina Wine Company. I also browsed a book called "Wine Dogs: USA edition: the Dogs of North American Wineries." There were large photos of many dogs with their favorite foods and pastimes and companions (human or four-legged)and worst behavior (chasing delivery trucks, knocking over the garbage, etc.) That was the day I dined at another old favorite, John Pisto's Whaling Station, but it did not quite live up to my expectations or memories. The whole chilled artichoke with tomato remoulade aioli was very good. It is known more for steaks than seafood now but the prices were really high and larger servings than I would consume, so I had halibut with porcini crust, fennel and wild mushroom ragout. Ordered the
2006 SCHEID SAUVIGNON BLANC. Monterey County.
Large mouth feel, really covers the palate.
Tangy lemon, quite minerally. Probably more minerally than the Chablis I had with a lunch.

On a rainy day (must have been Tuesday)I spent a couple hours in the Monterey Bay Aquarium revisiting the sea otter exhibit, the moon jellies exhibit and a new exhibit with replica (not live) animals about the other species of otters (African otter, North American river otter, etc.) I also went to the Monterey Public Library for some computer time and to research upcoming purchases of steam iron, vacuum cleaner and high definition tv (any one care to give their recommendations or "avoid at all cost" opinions.) I had lunch that day at an old favorite, Rosine's on Alvarado in downtown Monterey. The streets were to be cleared of cars by mid-afternoon for a weekly Farmer's Market. Dinner that night was planned for Fandango's in Pacific Grove. I heard about an accident on Holman Highway which would have been my normal route from Carmel to Pacific Grove so went a bit out of my way to a Monterey exit from U.S. 1 North and then took Lighthouse Avenue to Central Avenue. Turned out the couple at the table next to me at Fandango's were celebrating the fact that while involved in the 3-4 car accident, he was not injured (one lady slightly injured). He had been directing traffic after the accident. The meal at Fandango's was quite special. I don't know why I never ate there while living in Monterey County but I would try to include it in future visits. I believe the restaurant is recognized by DiRoNa and Chaine des Rotisserie. Appetizer of sand dabs (must have those when I visit Monterey area) in sage butter--huge portion for an appetizer--and entree of veal piccata with lemon and capers. Had a half bottle of
2004 WILLIAM FEVRE CHABLIS. 12.5% alcohol
Medium straw color, transparent, crisp without flintiness. Maybe stones or rocks rather than steel or flint. Plenty of acid. $31 for the half bottle at a high-end restaurant.

Thursday I also visited Bernardus Winery in Carmel Valley. There I sampled 2006 Griva Sauvignon Blanc (stainless steel; no grassiness or vegetal elements),
2004 Rosella's Chardonnay, Santa Lucia Highlands, 14.2% alcohol, some mild oak on the nose, gold color, rich mouthfeel, could go with crab or lobster without overpowering them with oak.
2006 Pinot Noir 14.3% alcohol Dark garnet color, some transparency, some floral fragrance. Rich berry fruit flavors, light to medium body.
2002 Reserve Marinus 13.4% alcohol
Bordeaux blend of grape varieties
Very best lots from the vintage go into the Reserve Marinus. Determine the lots by tasting during barrel aging, typically about 6-7 months after harvest. This blend was 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc, 3% Petit Verdot and 3% Malbec. Dark red purple color; opaque. A little hard to judge while still in its youth. Pourer said this wine will go for 20 years.

Intended to go to Talbott's but I think the pourer at Bernardus gave me the wrong direction--he said it was back towards Carmel and I think it was the opposite direction. Anyway, I didn't spot it and pulled into Bernardus Lodge to have lunch at Wickets Bistro. It was a beautiful sunny day so I ate on the large patio. Had heirloom tomato salad with mozzarella and basil and a gruyere and prosciutto sandwich. Chose a glass of
2006 Boschendal Wines Sauvignon Blanc Grande Cuvee from South Africa. ($9.00 for the glass). Medium gold color in the sunshine. A little tropical fruit on the nose. Nice but I didn't like it as wel as the Right Whale Sauvignon Blanc which is my only other South African S.B.

Later that afternoon I drove to South San Francisco to stay at the Embassy Suites Hotel before flying back the next day. Traffic was horrendous around San Jose and I got there later in the evening than intended but still got in on a bit of the happy hour. Free drinks offered for two hours! I had two cocktails--others were getting four beers or whatever. Appetizers were a bit picked over before I got there, so I still used room service for dinner. I would stay again at an Embassy Suites.

Unfortunately, the trip home did not go well. I was scheduled to depart SFO at 1:15 PM, change at Dallas-Fort Worth, and get into Raleigh-Durham about midnight. Was going to stay at a hotel near the airport and drive to Fayetteville the next day. I had 1 hour fifty minutes in Dallas to change planes. We departed from San Francisco at least an hour forty minutes late (the plane was delayed coming in for the turnaround--they said because of low cloud cover over San Fran but the skies looked almost clear to me--little puffy clouds.) Before we even left San Francisco I booked a seat on a flight the next day about 11:00 AM in case I missed my connection. When we arrived at the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport there was no gate for us immediately, then the gate we were directed to had an oil spill that had to be cleaned up before we could disembark. We came in at American A Terminal and my flight to Raleigh was from D Terminal. I took the Air Train over to D Terminal in case my flight to NC had been delayed but it had left about 30 minutes earlier. American Airlines didn't give me any meal vouchers or hotel voucher blaming the late flight on "the weather." I called a Hilton Garden Inn near the airport and they said the shuttle van would be there in about 15 minutes. A mother and two daughters were also waiting for the same van (the husband was already at the hotel.) After 60 minutes (no Hilton Garden Inn van) we accepted the offer of a ride from the AmeriSuites driver (Irving, TX) who was going near the Hilton Garden Inn and took pity on us. When I got to the hotel (after 10 PM and the restaurant had closed at 10) they claimed that I didn't talk to anyone at that hotel and must have been promised transportation by a different Hilton Garden Inn. (I used the phones at the airport for hotels in the area.) Whomever I talked to never came through with the promised shuttle. No suitcase since it was awaiting transport to Raleigh (and got out on an earlier flight than I took the next morning so was waiting for me at RDU baggage claim.) I had had only a $3.00 package of potato chips on the flight from San Francisco since breakfast and the restaurant was closed, no room service either, so my dinner was a quiche from their "pantry service" microwaved in my room. I would not stay at that Hilton Garden Inn again but have had reasonable experiences at the one by Raleigh-Durham Airport. In some ways, it was good that I didn't arrive in Raleigh at midnight. I had planned another night in a hotel anyway so it didn't change things all that much. And this way I picked up my car in daylight from the RDU parking lot 3 rather than searching for it at midnight or later in a fairly deserted lot.

I also waited about 50 minutes (with a drizzle) at the San Francisco airport for the Embassy Suites shuttle after turning in my rental car the evening before I was flying home. The van was supposed to come every thirty minutes but I saw other vans three times before mine arrived. Aggravating. I think paying for a taxi if the hotel is nearby beats waiting nearly an hour for a "courtesy" hotel shuttle.

I have had three plane trips in 2007 and everyone of them had major delays--two overnights in cities that were not my destination city (Detroit when headed to Lincoln for a high school reunion in May) and Dallas-Fort Worth area when headed to NC from San Francisco. Plus the four hours on the tarmac at LaGuardia going to the Finger Lakes offline during which time I believe my wines were "cooked" in the cargo section.
Rant! rant! I'm already nervous about a tight connection in St. Louis returning after Christmas from Des Moines. I may book a later return flight from St. Louis to Raleigh even if it means paying an additional partial fare or penalty for changing the reservation.

Besides the Embassy Suites, South San Francisco, I was delighted with Sonoma Orchid Inn on River Road near Guerneville and Vagabond's House Inn in Carmel By-the-Sea. The evening clerk at Vagabond's House Inn was very cordial and went out of her way for the inn guests. They also deliver breakfast to your room at no extra charge. Hotel Carlton the first night in San Francisco was reasonably priced for that city and adequate--comfortable bed, helpful desk clerks. I had one free night at Comfort Inn, Carmel Hill, in Monterey using ChoicePrivilege points. Nothing special but free!

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-01-2007).]

- winoweenie - 11-01-2007

Sorry about the travails you went thru WOW. Think today the emphasis is on profit rather than service so we, the customers, find too many situations like this. Hope the fun times outweighed the outrageous inconviences. WW

- dananne - 11-01-2007

As always, Jane, wonderful notes, and they really make one feel like they were along for the ride. Am sorry to hear of your travel woes, however!

- Innkeeper - 11-02-2007

Egad! You had to have driven right past Talbott's on the way back to Carmel. It is right in the middle of Carmel Village on the right as you are heading back to town.

- wondersofwine - 11-02-2007

The time in California did make the airline hassle worthwhile but travelers shouldn't have to expect this as a constant. I am going to write to Congressman and Senators about the need for air travel improvements including updated air traffic equipment, new routes to avoid congestion at prime times, more consideration for missed connections, etc.

- TheEngineer - 11-03-2007

WOW, thanks for your notes and that will help me change my travel plans in CA next time.

BTW, welcome to my daily world of travel [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] nothing glamourous I guarantee you. Only thing is that on those airlines where I have a lot of points, those lounges come in helpful when there is a long delay. On Wednesday, I missed a flight from Edmonton to Toronto and the next one was in 7 hours.......I saw three movies in a comfortable little lounge that I had pretty much all to myself...with drinks and soup and light snacks, etc,... still does not make up for the travel hassles. Sorry that you had to experience them.