WineBoard
My Finger Lakes Tasting Notes - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: My Finger Lakes Tasting Notes (/thread-15291.html)

- wondersofwine - 06-19-2007

2002 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Pinot Noir, Santa Lucia Highlands
Sort of a light mahagony color with some transparency. 14.5% alcohol
Legs on side of glass. Very nice bouquet of cherries and cherries present on the palate along with a hint of spice. Slightly drying finish. Very smooth midpalate. Lingering finish.

2002 Roar Rosella's Vineyard, Santa Lucia Highlands, 14.7% alcohol
Darker and denser than the Arcadian. Tastes like a blend of berry/cherry flavors to include boysenberry. Smooth. Like the Arcadian it doesn't taste at all hot although over 14% alcohol (wouldn't make Darrell Corti's cutoff at 14.5% abv).

2002 Dehlinger Pinot Noir 14.5% abv
Super smooth. Cherry predominates. Some transparency.

I liked all three Pinot Noirs.

KC treated us to a splash of Rosebank Connoisseurs' Choice Lowlands Single Malt Scotch Whiskey (that's as long as a German wine name). 1990 Aged 14 years. Bottled in 2004. Triple distilled.
Pale gold color. Purity of flaovrs. Small splash of water softens the kick and enhances it. Selected, produced and bottled by Gordon and McPhail. Nice treat.

I contributed the 1999 Eric Ross Occidental Vineyard Old Vine Zinfandel at 14.4% abv. Didn't show as well as previous times--may have cooked on the LaGuardia tarmac (about 4 hours during air traffic control computer crash) or maybe just showing its age finally.

KC brought some of the Willow Crest Grenache with 5% Gewurztraminer blended in that we had enjoyed so much at the 2005 offline in Prosser, WA. Still going strong.

Glenora contributed a California blended red the 2002 Rubicon Estate at 14.1% abv. It's from Rutherford, Napa Valley produced by Francis Ford Coppola from Old Inglenook Wine Estate. I really liked this. It was very smooth and tastes mature although only five years after harvest. I found this to be a lip-smacking wine. The 2002 is 90% Cabernet Sauvignon with small percentages of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot. Mary Ewing-Mulligan gave the 2002 a score of 94 and said it would age well for 15 years but was lovely now (2006). She reports that the winemaker said it was the most tannic Rubicon he had ever made and yet "it is possibly the softest great California Cabernet I have ever tasted." (from Wine Review Online) I did not find it tannic and I am usually sensitive to tannic wines.

1997 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon (from Winoweenie). Light Bordeaux color, somewhat transparent. Red currant nose and red currants on the palate. Big, mellow Cabernet Sauvignon. Aging gracefully. 13.8% abv

1987 Hermitage from KC
brickish color; transparency
not as funky a nose as the Friday night bottle
I liked the second bottle he opened on Saturday better than the Friday one.

I contributed a 2004 Domaine Serene Yamhill Cuvee Pinot Noir.
Palre red/crimson color with some transparency. Nose somewhat muted but I found the flavors nice, reflecting red cherries.

Coyote Canyon Syrah, Horse Heaven Hiller, Prosser, WA
KC brought this wine from Matt Two (CCK refered to Matt Rawn of Two Mountain Winery as Matt One and this young winemaker as Matt Two during our 2005 offline.)
I wasn't too impressed with my first taste of Matt Two's wine at the 2005 offline, but I really liked this at our recent Lake Seneca gathering. Different vintage or more time to integrate? Delicious!

I contributed the 2001 Tresor from Ferrari-Carano, a Meritage blend from California. Quite dark crimson. Limited transparency. Some viscosity. Mellow but a little drying on the finish. I was tasting currents and blackberries. Liked this better at a tasting in Durham, NC--perhaps it was a little cooked from the time on the tarmac.

1997 Dehlinger Cabernet Sauvignon, Russian River Valley (from Winoweenie) Seemed to me to have less personality than the Joseph Phelps C.S. Somewhat plummy. Didn't float my boat but others liked it.

Among the Finger Lakes wines that I especially liked were the 2001 Glenora Brut and 2006 Glenora Dry Riesling, the 2006 Hermann Wiemer Dry Riesling, Fox Run Cabernet Franc, several Vidal Ice Wines, a Vignoles, Glenora Port and another winery's Cabernet Sauvignon "Port" and Dr. Konstantin Frank Winery Pinot Noir--not a sissy red but delightful.

- Kcwhippet - 06-19-2007

Wonderful notes. Thanks for filling in the holes in my post. I love having you along WOW. We have to do this again soon.

- Innkeeper - 06-19-2007

Great notes WOW. We are big fans of Vidal Ice Wines from the area. Most of everything else as well. We have to back to Utica in October and will definitely crank in a day in Finger Lakes to restock.

- dananne - 06-19-2007

As always, Jane, wonderful notes. There are many wines in that lineup that we'd love to try, and a very few we actually have tried (the Pac NW stuff). What a treat to have a crack at all those in one sitting!

- brappy - 06-20-2007

WOW,

Love the Darrell Corti comment. Too bad he'll miss out on fresher vintages of this wine.

That Eric Ross I tasted from you last year; I still believe it had plenty of time left. So.. maybe heat problems but most likely bottle variation.

Would love to have tasted the '87 Hermitage.

I've never really understood the Tresor; the wine, which is supposed to be thier flagship (or I think so) has never been as good as thier merlot or cab.

WW's generosity is incredible!!

What ice wine was the favorite of the group?

Or yours personally?

And the question I really have is: Why didn't you go to Knapp?

Hattie and I will be up there in August. I'm sorry we couldn't get up there this time. Thanks so much for the notes!

mark

- wondersofwine - 06-20-2007

I purchased two Vidal Ice Wines. Will check the labels and get back to you by Friday. One may have been Heron Hill. Gene didn't schedule a visit to Knapp on Saturday and Sunday we mostly visited on Keuka Lake.

- Kcwhippet - 06-20-2007

Just an added note on the Rosebank Scotch. It was considered to be the finest Lowland whisky made, but that didn't stop Diageo from closing the distillery in 1993. So, there's not a whole lot available anymore, but the shop owner has some sources to bring in quite a bit of the remaining stocks of the quality Scotch from closed distilleries. It boggles the mind why someone would buy a premium property then close it down. Sort of like Constellation closing Mondavi after they bought it.

- brappy - 06-20-2007

Thanks Jane!

- winoweenie - 06-21-2007

As stated above, as usual Jane, you're notes are rite on. Glad all of you had fun, and again, sorry I wasn't there.WW

- TheEngineer - 06-21-2007

Thanks for the notes WOW! We gotta find a way to do this again. BTW, I will ship when the weather gets cooler. [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I've not forgotten.

- winoweenie - 06-22-2007

Ship to moi' Eng. It's colling off here just as KC, Judy, and friend arrive from 115* on Sat to a balmy 109 on Sunday. Them lucky suckerz! WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- Bucko - 06-22-2007

I find myself agreeing with Darrell. If I want Port, I'll open Port. Some of the Zins with 16 percent alcohol are tiring to drink. I'll leave them on the shelf.

Okay folks, I did it -- I sold my practice and have joined the ranks of kept men. I am concentrating on wine writing and wine education. Next off-line I'll be there -- no more call, no more beepers!! [img]http://wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 06-22-2007

Bucko, if you are like me or most other retirees I know, you will be busier than you ever have been, except for the beepers maybe. Congratulations!

- Drew - 06-22-2007

Congratulations from one retiree to another...oh, wait.... I went back to work and am busier than before retirement like IK stated.

Drew

- hotwine - 06-22-2007

Congrats there Bucksnort! Best wishes for a healthy and prosperous retirement!

As I've been sayin' since doin' it the second time: who has time to work for a living?

- wondersofwine - 06-22-2007

Congratulations on the sale of the practice and your forthcoming retirement. I attended a nice retirement ceremony today for twelve civilians at Special Warfare Center and School including my boss's boss (Director of Education), and one of our library technicians who will be difficult to replace. She received the Department of the Army Superior Civilian Service Award.

Hope you do make it to future offlines Bucko but not sure if I will make it next summer as my sister, brother-in-law and I are contemplating a trip to France or Ireland.

Brappy, the Vidal wines I purchased were the 2005 Heron Hill Late Harvest Vidal Blanc and the 2005 Lamoreaux Landing Vidal Ice Wine. I also purchased a Glenora Port and 2006 Hermann Wiemer Dry Riesling, both shared at a NYC offline, a 2003 Fox Run Cabernet Franc, 2 bottles of Dr. Konstantin Frank Fleur de Pinot Noir (wanted the regular Pinot Noir and picked up the wrong bottles so may try to order the regular if they would hold the shipment until cooler weather), a 2005 Keuka Springs Vignoles, a 2006 Prejean Chardonnay and a 2004 Prejean Cabernet "Port." Forgot to add a 2006 Glenora Dry Riesling (which was an award-winner in competition).

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 07-02-2007).]

- brappy - 06-23-2007

First, Bucko, congrats! Wish I could do the same. Best of luck and good fortune to you.

Second, Jane, let me know what you think of the Lamoreaux. I'm thinking about representing the finger lakes with this wine. Finally a small distributor here representing something other than Bully Hill and Dr. Frank. I might still have this wine downstairs also. I'll open next week if I can find it (if I still have it).

Third, Gene, I'm not sure how many cases you are producing. But if it is under 11,250 or close to that, let me know. Maryland's laws have changed a little bit. Not much, but maybe enough.

mark

- winoweenie - 06-23-2007

Well, well there Herr Ex-Dock-i-tor, another body(?) on the job market! Congrats. Am sure you'll find something to consume your time and energies. Take care of youse-self. WW

- TheEngineer - 06-29-2007

Oops...late to the string.. Bucko, congrats on the sale of your practice! Many fun and busy days ahead I'm sure!