WineBoard
2006 Offline - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: 2006 Offline (/thread-15289.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- cablover - 03-27-2006

I haven't posted in quite awhile but thought I would put in my two cents here. My husband and I went to Cyrus for Valentines Day. It cost almost $500 for the two of us including tip. The food is very good but it's certainly not cheap . The next night we went to Willie's Seafood and Raw Bar in Healdsburg and enjoyed it a lot more. Willies is also in Santa Rosa. In Yountville, our favorite is Bistro Jeanty although it is noisy. Taylor's Refresher is excellent for lunch and the Napa Valley Olive Oil Co. is a fun place for a picnic.

- wondersofwine - 03-30-2006

Drew, Good look on the promotion!

Cablover, thanks for the been there, done that notes. $500 does seem excessive for two people. A group of ten of us dined at a high end restaurant in Carmel, CA for about $700 once including two bottles of wine (about three years ago--might be a little more expensive now). The others you mention sound intriguing.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 03-30-2006).]

- wondersofwine - 03-30-2006

I've heard good things about Cyrus (possibly from Hoke Harden on WLDG).

- winoweenie - 03-31-2006

Musta' eatin everthing on the menu. 2 of us had the 4 course dinner with wine and the tab was just at 200 + tip. No dessert. Just for the record the menu pricing is as follows; 3 course dinners 58..4 Course dinner 69... 5 course dinner 80.... and the chefs special 7 course ding-i-bob-fillum'-up-chalkie- is 95. Wine pairings for the courses run from 28 to 56. Okie-Dokie! WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 03-31-2006).]

- Kcwhippet - 03-31-2006

So, how can a dinner for two at Cyrus run $500 if the most expensive thing on the menu is $95? Gotta be some really expensive wine.

- cablover - 04-01-2006

We did the seven course tasting menu with wine pairing and the optional truffle shaving. That put the $95 meal at $176. And we got a half oz of California caviar and champagne. The rest was tip. It was Valentine's after all.

- wondersofwine - 04-01-2006

The truth comes out. I'm not big on either caviar or Champagne (like some sparkling but I'm fussy in that department) so I guess I would be a cheap date.

- winoweenie - 04-01-2006

Just wanted to clear the air about this marvelous restaurants pricing. Can't think of any of the top jernts in northern Calif where with what you ordered would have been less and doubt the vittles would have measured up to what I experienced there. Think maybe you are confusing the restaurants' pricing policy with the loving generosity of your husband. I've had some very mundane experiences at Willys' and I hope you don't compare a high-end drive-in with Cyrus. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 04-01-2006).]

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 04-02-2006).]

- Jackie - 04-03-2006

Wow. I just found this thread. Sorry to be behind the times here. I'm glad so many people are interested and talking about this.

I am planning on organizing this with the help of a friend who knows a lot about the travel business. She is able to arrange discounts, etc. in San Francisco, Napa and Sonoma. I wanted to also include Livermore but there probably is not enough time.

We'll soon be posting a "straw case" itnerary for your comments and feedback. I've given her a list of the wineries you've all suggested. There are too many to fit into 3 days but we can include as many as possible, without getting dizzy.

We were thinking of early August for this outing but that may have to change this year to July. Is everyone OK with that?

What actually is the current count of particiants? Anyone keeping track?

Jackie

- TheEngineer - 04-03-2006

July works great for me.

Are you looking for winery suggestions as well?

- Kcwhippet - 04-03-2006

Thanks for coming in on this, Jackie. As I mentioned before, we can only make July, and as it looks now two weekends look the best - 14 through 17 and 21 through 24. I know Winoweenie, Bucko and I can provide some intros to some wineries outside the usual tourist routes. As to lodging, I made some suggestions based on keeping the costs to the attendees as low as possible, while not in someplace that would be uninhabitable.

- californiagirl - 04-03-2006

The weekend of july 22-23rd works best for me- don't know about anyone else!!

- winoweenie - 04-04-2006

Whichever will be okie-dokie. WW

- hotwine - 04-04-2006

We're OK with either of those weekends, too, but suggest we decide soonest so we can all make air, rental car & hotel reservations.

- Kcwhippet - 04-04-2006

Jackie,

Not sure of the current numbers for attendees, but here's what I've been able glean from the posts so far. There may be more I've missed, so if I've left you off, please chime in.

WileECoyote 1
tw 2
Californiagirl 2
hotwine 2
winoweenie 2
Bucko 2
Kcwhippet 3

- winoweenie - 04-04-2006

Can get us VIP tastings at Flora Springs, Duckhorn, and Robert Craig in Napa and Swan and Scherrer in Sonoma which are not on the open market. Need to know firm dates ASAP. WW

- Kcwhippet - 04-04-2006

Siduri, Mietz and Acorn in Sonoma Vly, and Lewelling in Napa. That's the short list.

- TheEngineer - 04-04-2006

I should be able to go.

- Kcwhippet - 04-06-2006

I echo hotwine's thoughts. It would be a good thing to set the dates real soon so we can get travel arrangements made at reasonable prices.

- californiagirl - 04-06-2006

Well then, I'll second my original suggestion of the July 22/23 dates.

I have plans the week after, and have to work the rest of the month.