WineBoard
Staying In Portland Oregon and looking for winery visit suggestions. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Staying In Portland Oregon and looking for winery visit suggestions. (/thread-15288.html)

- TheEngineer - 08-08-2008

I will be going to Portland in September with a client who has asked that I spend some time with him in the wineries.

I would appreciate some recommendations as to where to drive to for a day trip and some winery suggestions. These guys are good wine people and are not label chasers, though they like good bottles....everytime I pull out my credit card, the wines seem to get more expensive.......

On a personal note, I have never had the opportunity to travel much in this area so I'm looking forward to it too.

many thanks in advance.

- wondersofwine - 08-11-2008

I would include Torii Mor and Lange next to each other in the Dundee Hills with beautiful views. You might want to include Argyle which is known for its sparkling wine as well as Pinots. Also recommend Scott Paul's wines and maybe Owen Roe (visits by appointment--outside of Newberg, Oregon.) Dananne will have a bunch of further recommendations. Lunch at Dundee Bistro is nice. It has the Ponzi Wine Bar but they serve wines beyond their own brand there. I thought the food was good. On the WLDG forum there have been several recommendations for Horse Radish Cafe in Carlton, Oregon (see http://www.portlandfood.org/index.php?showtopic=4667 Carlton might be a little farther afield for you.

- TheEngineer - 08-11-2008

Thanks WoW!

- dananne - 08-12-2008

Sorry in advance for the lengthy advice, but it's our favorite wines and our favorite wine region, and we've been twice in the last 3 years.

In Dundee Hills, as Wonders suggests above, you've gotta go to Torii Mor and Lange (right next door to one another), and also to the famous "red barn" of Maresh nearby, but please make time for White Rose -- it's a great place on a stunning hilltop, offering stellar Pinots. Also in Dundee is a place on the other side of the highway right in town called "Dundee Station." It's the tasting room for Dobbes wines, all the other wines made by Joe Dobbes for other folks, and stuff from smaller winery friends of his that don't have their own tasting facilities.

In Yamhill, go to Lynn Penner-Ash's beautiful new place. And I do mean beautiful -- one of the nicest on Oregon, and as you know, we love her wines, which is a nice bonus. But, we'd probably still go anyway just for the facility and views.

We are quite enamored with the little hamlet of Carlton. Stop at Tyrus Evan (the Ken Wright project for all non-Pinot wines, mainly Clarets and Rhoney-types from S. Oregon and Washington State). Also in Carlton, try and taste the fantastic stuff from Carlo & Julian (please, please, please don't miss their take on Tempranillo -- for my money, the second best domestic take on that grape to that from Abacela, a winery in the Umpqua Valley -- speaking of which, if you see any Abacela Tempranillo or Syrah in any Oregon shops or tasting rooms, quickly snatch it up -- you won't regret it, especially if you can keep your hands off it for 7-10 years). Finally, in Carlton is a place called "The Tasting Room." It's a shop and tasting room by Jay McDonald of EIEIO, where he pours his own stuff, as well as stuff from his friends, most of whom don't have their own tasting rooms. Only the best stuff there, and not to be missed. It's in the converted old bank building.

Finally,in general, if you see anything from Roads End, buy it. It's the only blended Pinot made by Ken Wright, and it may be even better than his single vineyard stuff. Same goes for Dusky Goose -- it's made by Lynn Penner-Ash for a vineyard property in the Dundee Hills that used to be owned by the governor of Oregon, before he was busted for having an affair with a 14-year old girl -- big scandal, but the vineyard (an old one, for Oregon, having been planted back in '74) makes great grapes, and Lynn makes awesome, hard-to-find Pinots from them.

Enjoy yourself, and post notes afterwards!

- TheEngineer - 08-17-2008

Thanks for the advice DA. I'll let you guys know how I'll make out.