WineBoard
Utica and Seneca Lake - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Utica and Seneca Lake (/thread-15282.html)

- Innkeeper - 04-28-2005

Well, we are home in one piece. I’m glad my mother gave me the middle name Christopher (actually my paternal grandfather’s name). We arrived in Utica on Sunday evening. Determined that Grimaldi’s was open, and beat feet right over there. We enjoyed another fabulous dinner there. Bev had the Veal Sicilian again, and I had Veal Françoise. Washed them down with house Montepulciano. Also enjoyed the great bread, great salad, and yummy dessert. It all came to $53.28 before tip.

On Monday morning we headed over to Seneca Lake. Stopped first at Anthony Road and had a nice chat and tasting with the Martini’s daughter. Unfortunately we couldn’t get anymore of their Riesling made with free run juice. The ’03 harvest wasn’t up to it. We did buy two of their ’03 Semi-Dry Riesling at $11.99 each. Afterward, she answered all of Bev’s questions about the landscaping which some of you will remember was very nice.

Next stop was Herman J. Wiemer. The place looked deserted. We couldn’t get the door to the tasting room open, so guessed they we on vacation or something. The sign on the door indicated that they should be open, so before giving up, we knocked. The door opened! The pourer said the door tended to stick. She remembered us from Frank’s where she had worked up to this year. We tried all their Rieslings, some other SWs, and the Pinot. Ended up with two ’03 Dry Riesling, and two ’03 Semi-Dry Rieslings; all $16.00 each.

So, it was off to Glenora. Had a nice chat with the tasting room folks, and tasted all the Rieslings. We picked up two ’03 Dry Rieslings, three ’04 (plain ole) Rieslings, and one ’03 Vintners Select Riesling. The first five were $13.99 each and the Vintners Select was $18.99. They gave us a very nice discount. We will probably lay the Vintners Select down for two years or so. That filled out the case we brought with us.

Afterward we met Gene for lunch. We each had the Seneca Salad which was delicious but too humongous for me to finish! We enjoyed the ’04 Riesling with it. That wine is like a German Spatlese. All the Rieslings we tasted and bought had different degrees of residual sugar (RS). None were bone dry. Anthony Road was the driest. Their Semi-Dry had about the same RS as Gene’s Dry Riesling. We appreciate the place of Dry Rieslings such as those from Alsace and Australia, but for the foods we like with Riesling, the vary RS’s of Finger Lakes’ Riesling work best for us.

Had a great conversation with Gene, including a lot of speculation about the upcoming Washington State event. We also discussed some of our (board members) collective adventures and misadventures on the “other board.” Came home to find out he had signed up there! Thanks for everything Gene.

That night we just grabbed a sandwich after the big lunch! The next morning we did some shopping and then took Bev to her doctor’s appointment. That went very well, and he gave her some answers that the local docs here could not. Afterward we drove down to Sherrill, NY to visit the Oneida outlet there. They gave us some great advice about replacing our worn out stainless flatware.

That night we went to another independent Italian restaurant in Utica. It was Lupino’s Trackside Restaurant. It is on “Main Street” in Utica. Time, progress, and change have contributed to isolating both Main Street and Lupino’s, but they are well worth seeking out. The train doesn’t stop near there anymore, and the viaduct they built for the main drag (Genesee Street), goes over the canal, river, railroad tracks, Main Street, and deposits you about four blocks beyond. With much difficulty you have to work your way back. As I previously said, it is worth it! The dinning room was seeped with nostalgic ambiance. Antique chairs, tables, blinds, valances, et al. It was like walking into one of New York City’s or Brooklyn’s finest Italian eateries fifty years ago! Bev was the only female customer in there on a Tuesday night; with most of the tables being filled with guys who seemed used to being there on business trips. The beer glasses on some of tables looked like the ubiquitous $.15 beers of yesteryear.

Bev had the Eggplant Parmesan and I had the homemade Ravioli with meatballs. She had house Shiraz and I had house Chianti. The bread was same as they had at Grimaldi’s, and the salad was as good or better. For dessert Bev had the lightest Tiramisu we had either experienced, and I had a cake called Baliey’s Pie. All wonderful; I’m having the eggplant next time. It melted in your mouth. Bill came to $49 before tip.

Yesterday we drove all the way home in driving rain and wind. Yuk!!! Stopped in Freeport, ME for dinner at the Muddy Rudder. It was nice, but we were beat. Afterward we still had almost two hours more to drive. Got in at 9:30 last night.

- wondersofwine - 04-28-2005

Glad you're safely home. Sounds like you made the best of a trip to see Bev's doctor.

- winoweenie - 04-28-2005

Just another chapter in the ongoing saga
" Will the wine be better than the food?" Glad to have youse two back IK. WW

- Kcwhippet - 04-28-2005

Glad you guys made back through the monsoons without floating off, IK. Sure would like to get back out thay way again sometime soon. I believe I had a meal at Grimaldi's back about 20 years or so ago on a recommendation, and was not disappointed.

- hotwine - 04-29-2005

Welcome back, IK. Sounds like a good trip.

- jmcginley1 - 04-29-2005

do you mind if I ask what the "other board" that you refered to is? I'm looking to do some more reading if I can.

- Georgie - 04-29-2005

Glad you are safe and sound. Were the lilacs in bloom?

- Innkeeper - 04-29-2005

Jmcginley, it is www.wineloverspage.com. Be careful.

Georgie, no they weren't.

- jmcginley1 - 05-01-2005

I'll be careful, thanks. (why should I be careful? Are they not friendly like the regulars of this board?)

- jmcginley1 - 05-01-2005

heh, after reading a few threads, I see what you are saying. I'll just be reading and not posting over there.

- winoweenie - 05-02-2005

I managed to stay on the board a week before packing PC and returning home. Dint' last that long on the WCWN site. WW