WineBoard
finger lakes vacation - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: finger lakes vacation (/thread-15225.html)

- lacquaville - 01-08-2004

Hi everyone. What a great board. I'm a newcomer who just found your board while searching for information on the finger lakes and was wondering if anyone out there can help me. The hubby and I were looking for a place to celebrate our one year anniversary and due to our love of wine/wineries, the finger lakes seems like a great spot for us. The problem is neither of us knows anything about the area. So any info you have on where to stay/what to do etc would be great. I did find Glenora Inn and am very interested in that from their website but how is it really? Obviously we want our first anniversary to be special and romantic. We're not too into the b&b idea though so a hotel would be preferable I think. Oh, and we are coming April 30th-May 3rd if that helps any with the 'what to do' part of my question.
Thanks so much for any help you can give!!!

- wondersofwine - 01-08-2004

Foodie can probably offer the most help. He has owned a vineyard in the area in the past and I think still vacations there regularly. Our offline to Glenora Inn in May will be my first visit to the region. Stay tuned for a reply from Foodie (or others).

- hotwine - 01-08-2004

The owner of the Glenora Inn is a regular member of this board. Stay tuned.

- lacquaville - 01-08-2004

Great! So a local and the owner?!?!? Very nice...I'm loving this board more and more by the minute :-) Anxiously awaiting responses....tick, tick, tick...

- hotwine - 01-08-2004

Here's his Wineboard profile. http://38.118.142.245/cgi-bin/uubcgi/ubbmisc.cgi?action=getbio&UserName=glenora

Do a search on username glenora and you'll see his posts here.

- Thomas - 01-08-2004

WOW, I don't just vacation there, I have a home there to which I go every other week--leaving tomorrow in fact.

Anyway, hotels are scarce in the wine region (mostly B & B). I highly recommend Glenora's Inn. I have stayed there. You are going to be in the region in the early part of the tourist season, so you should be able to get a room at Glenora.

If Glenora is booked, try north of Glenora, in Geneva, NY, two hotels: Belhurst Castle and Geneva On the Lake; another possibility for a hotel is in Corning, New York--the Radisson, I think.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-08-2004).]

- lacquaville - 01-09-2004

Just made my reservations for Glenora!!!! Thanks so much for the info. I was a little nervous about reserving based soley on a website ad...it was great to be able to get a review from someone who knows the area and has actually stayed there. Thanks so much Foodie.
I'm really glad I found this board not just for this but my husband and I have been making wine together for several years now...only from the juice at this point but we are looking to move forward and actually plant some grapes on our property. We had the property checked out and were told we have perfect conditions for a few vinefera and many hybrids. Don't worry, I promise not to bombard you with a million questions...we're doing tons of research, but it's nice to know we have a place to come if we get stuck for answers.

Anyway...thanks again everyone....and nice to "meet" you all!

- glenora - 01-10-2004

Hi Lacquaville--

Since the reservation is made I do not have to post under adv/promo folder :-) We are pleased that you will be staying with us during your visit to Finger Lakes Country.

I would be glad to arrange for a special tour and tasting at the winery if you wish,and since you have an interest in planting grapes we could set up a couple of vineyards tours as well.

We look forward to meeting you!

Gene

- winoweenie - 01-10-2004

Heck Fire there Gene as a card-carrying member of the board you can post jes' anywheres you wants. By-the-by I'll send the package up about 2-3 weeks afore we gets there so the lil' hummers can rest from their ordeal.WW [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- lacquaville - 01-12-2004

Hi Gene,

Foodie beat you to it this time...had me sold on the place before you got here. I guess you're going to have to take that advertising budget and send some $$$ Foodie's way :-)

As for the tours....that would be wonderful! Thanks so much for the offer...any tours you could schedule for us would be great so plan away!!! Our reservations are for April 30- May 3rd and we have no set plans at all so whatever works for you works for us. Tasting, winery tour, vineyard tours...it all sounds perfect. Let me know what I need to do to set things up. You can email me if that works better than trying to set things up on the board....

tamaraflong@hotmail.com

I look forward to meeting you while we are up there.

Thanks Again!

- Kcwhippet - 01-12-2004

lacquaville,

Too bad you weren't coming up two weeks later. A lot of the folks on this board are going to be staying at Glenora May 14-17 for our First Annual Wine Board Offline.

- winoweenie - 01-12-2004

Fer' gosh sakes KC shush! This guy/gal strikes me as the kind who can drink upwards of a Lot! Kidding of course. We'd love to have you join the group of leathertongues.WW [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 01-13-2004).]

- lacquaville - 01-12-2004

Actually I'm a bit of a light weight but I sure have fun trying ;-)

That sounds really fun...everyone getting together for a weekend of wine and bonding...thanks for the invite! This newcomer sure feels honored :-)

Hmmm...definitely have me thinking...

I guess if I were to reschedule my one year anniversary weekend to meet the people from the wine board my hubby might not find that overly romantic of me...HA! Think these get togethers might become a regular occurance? I'd love to plan for the next one if there is to be one.

- lacquaville - 04-28-2004

Well, this weekend is our big trip to Glenora...I'll post a review after our trip for all those who will be heading up that way in 2 weeks though I'm quite sure it's going to be wonderful.

Gene, I would love to take you up on your offer for vineyard tours...any information we can gain while up there about the planting/growing process would be wonderful. Just let me know how to set things up. I'll be around to get messages here till tomorrow evening or you can always find me at the inn. We will be checking in late tomorrow night and staying through Monday morning. We are up for tours, tastings, whatever and our schedule is pretty open except for dinner at Veraisons Sunday night (our 1 year anniversary dinner :-) ) so feel free to schedule away.

Thanks so much!
Tamara