WineBoard
Trip out to Napa/Sonoma - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Trip out to Napa/Sonoma (/thread-15217.html)

- Kcwhippet - 07-17-2006

Well, we're leaving tomorrow on our trip out to the left coast. We'll be doing a lot more than just wine while we're out there, mostly visiting with our daughter (californiagirl) and her family. Part of the trip is taking the grandsons into San Francisco for a couple days and to Six Flags/Marine World and other stuff.

As for the wine, we've scheduled only two or three firm visits per day and left time for whatever strikes our fancy (like WW mentioned a nice wine from St. Francis, so we'll drop in there). The private visits we have on tap are Lewelling, Prode Mountain, Siduri, Audelssa, Mietz, David Coffaro, Scherrer, Acorn and Neal Family. If we think we can swing the time, I'll probably give calls to Bob Bressler, Ric Henry (Karl Lawrence), Eric Sussman (Radio-Coteau) and one or two others. We've set up reservations for dinner at Mirepoix, K&L Bistro, Mosaic and Willi's Wine Bar (may change that to John Ash & Co.). Wish some others could have made it. Maybe next time.

I might be checking in periodically on CG's puter with updates. Play nice and drink great wine.

- dananne - 07-17-2006

Have a wonderful time. Sounds like a great trip, and we look forward to catching up with you again on an offline in the future!

And, that gets me to thinking -- it's only a few more weeks before we head off ourselves and see CCK again!

- thewoodman - 07-18-2006

Leave Sacramento as soon as you get here. Over 100 today, 109 by the end of the week...

- TheEngineer - 07-18-2006

Have a great time!!

- californiagirl - 07-18-2006

We're making 2 trips over to the bay area (including Napa), so that should cool things off a bit. That and my pool. (Well, it's more like bath water temp, but it's cooler than the 100+ we're at now!)

- winoweenie - 07-19-2006

Know you'll have a great time Judy&KC. Just dint' have enough salesmanship to convince CB to see Napa in July agin' WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-19-2006).]

- Innkeeper - 07-19-2006

Enjoy. Too bad you're leaving just as the weather is breaking here. May even venture out and cut the lawn today!

- Kcwhippet - 07-31-2006

Well, we're back!! It was a wonderful trip in all regards, except maybe the few days of well over 100 temps. We did pretty much as I mentioned above, and I'll post notes later when I wake up. The one bad note was at Pride Mountain. We were four tasters and none of us liked any of the wines we tasted - more later.

- Innkeeper - 08-01-2006

Welcome home. Hope you have A/C. We just got our lectric bill. Yikes!!!

- Scoop - 08-01-2006

Look forward to your posts, as I'm out that way next week, mostly in Sonoma, based in the Dry Creek Valley.

Cheers,

Scoop

- wondersofwine - 08-01-2006

Hey, good to hear from you Scoop. Hope you will post on some of the wines you taste in California.

- Scoop - 08-02-2006

I certainly shall, WOW. I'm slated to taste a lot of Dry Creek Cabs on the more official side of the trip, and I'll taste as many other varieties/blends as I can in my "free time".

I'm also open to good, out-of-the-box or "must visit" suggestions in terms of wineries.

I depart this misery that is NYC on Friday afternoon.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Kcwhippet - 08-02-2006

Scoop,

We opted to visit mostly "call ahead" wineries in Sonoma County - Siduri, Audelssa, Mietz, Scherrer and Acorn. The two open to the public we went to were David Coffaro and Ridge. Since the first five were appointments, we spent a lot of time at each - as much as two hours - hence the low number. When you have appointments at 10 and 2 then throw in lunch, there isn't much time for a whole lot more. The last two we threw in on a whim. We were driving up Dry Creek Rd. on the way to Coffaro and were passing Lytton Springs Rd. so I just turned in to take our friend to Ridge. We were glad we went, too - wonderful wines. I picked up two bottles of 2003 Independence School Zin which they were close to running out of, plus they didn't have enough to make it into our market. With the trade discount, you can actually get three bottles for the regular price of two. If you can swing it, make sure you drop in.

- Innkeeper - 08-02-2006

Scoop on $40 a day last night, she visited Sonoma tho she called it Napa. She did visit some nice places at nice prices for eating: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ad/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9947_20432,00.html

- californiagirl - 08-02-2006

KC- can't believe you forgot Lewelling in that mix. The absolute best and foremost of all the stops.

A great time was had by EVERYONE. The weather was non-co operative, which at times made things un-comfortable... but all in all, it was great. Good wineries, great restaurants. Several I would highly recommend again. Even some that were spur of the moment type stuff!! KC got to spend his birthday out here. We celebrated a day early, with a lot of wine and good food. A very small present (Loring Llama) to take home, and we enjoyed, among others, a decanted Pax Alder Springs Syrah. KC's tasting expertise is probably better than mine... so I'll let him elaborate. (Don't forget the 2001 Lewelling we enjoyed 2 nights in a row in Napa, and the Novy Viognier!!)

- californiagirl - 08-02-2006

BTW- I hate to say it for their reputation, but I did not enjoy ANYTHING at Pride Mountain. Unbearable oak and tannins, and I seem to remember alot of pepper and green - almost grass upfront.

- Scoop - 08-03-2006

Thanks IK, KC and CG, this is useful info.

I'll be tasting a lot of wines in Dry Creek, but not all "in situ". Based on some other research/contacts/suggestions, here's a short list of potential stops (which won't all happen, of course):

Russian River Valley/Southern Sonoma:

Lynmar
Marimar Torres
Moon Mountain
Gary Farrell
St. Francis
Chateau St. Jean
Freeman

Dry Creek/Northern Sonoma:

Dutcher Crossing
Rafanelli
Seghesio
Hanna
Jordan
Quivira

I'll actually be staying at Michel-Schlumberger for a night.

A full report upon return.

Cheers,

Scoop