WineBoard
Cantillon brewery - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Cantillon brewery (/thread-15172.html)

- joeyz6 - 06-05-2003

While in Brussels last month I visited the Cantillon brewery, the last remaining brewery on the planet (so they say) that still uses the process called spontaneous fermentation to make beer. Apparently this means they use wild yeast. In any case, it's the most unique-tasting beer I've ever had, that's for sure. I've always loved Belgian beer, so this is just another example. And you can find in the States -- I've already found it in two stores here. It's a bit expensive (about 10-12 dollars for a 750-ml bottle) but worth the price in my opinion. They make a regular gueuze, plus a "vigneronne" (flavored with grapes) and a kriek (flavored with cherries). There might be other flavors I'm not familiar with.

On a related note, I tasted barleywine for the first time the other day. Also a very unique taste. It was from a small, organic microbrewery in Milwaukee called Lakefront.

- Botafogo - 06-05-2003

Mssr. Cantillon is indeed one of the few holding to an ancient tradition of true Lambic ale production but he is NOT the only one. We stock several fine examples....

- Kcwhippet - 06-05-2003

.... such as Lindemans and Frank Boon.

- ShortWiner - 06-05-2003

Tried a barlywine last year, from none other than the Brooklyn Brewery. Yummy stuff.

- Thomas - 06-05-2003

Am I the lone ranger out here who truly dislikes flavored beer, Belgian or anyone else's?

Raspberries, grapes, cherries--not in my beer.

Now barley beer, that is interesting stuff! You know, it pre-dates wine.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-05-2003).]

- winoweenie - 06-06-2003

Berries be good on cereals, grapes be good in wine, HOPS be snooper in Beer. WW [img]http://205.243.144.43/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- ShortWiner - 06-06-2003

I'm not generally crazy about flavored beer either. However, Magic Hat #9, made with a hint of apricot, is great stuff, I think.

- Innkeeper - 06-06-2003

We have a couple of micos up here that turn out blueberry beer. Found a great use for it. Use it to make beer batter waffles with blueberries.

- Kcwhippet - 06-06-2003

That's perfect, IK! For some reason we seem to run into the owners of Wachusett Brewery quite often and the last time we saw them, yhey gave us a 12 pack of their new Blueberry Brew to try. We haven't and don't intend to, but rather than dumping the beer, you just gave me a great way to use it. Thanks!

- Thomas - 06-07-2003

IK, thanks. Send me some of that beer...

- Kcwhippet - 06-07-2003

Foodie, I'd send you half of the Wachusett 12 pack if I didn't think it would blow up along the way. Never sent beer to someone before, only wine.

- Drew - 06-07-2003

Not much on flavored beer either and do love the Belgian and Flanders ales although we don't have a great market for them. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewing Co. does knock off my socks though and they don't add chocolate. Apparently they achieve this flavor through ingrediants and brew techniques.

Drew

- winoweenie - 06-07-2003

Must admit I wasn't much of a beer slurper until Boto-Baby introduced me to some great Belgium Brews. Took a case on a trip to Napa and they were an instant hit. Now I have my local pusher supplying me. WW

- Innkeeper - 06-09-2003

KC, are you going to ship it to Foodie, or should I. You can put it into a wine shipping six pack and stuff the rest of each compartment with newspaper. I have three sibs on my side of the family and one on Mother's. Brother-in-law doesn't like wine. So, I send him a mixed twenty four pack of Maine micros every Christmas with two bottles in each compartment of a twelve pack shipper. My sibs get wine.

- Kcwhippet - 06-10-2003

IK,

I'm currently out of shippers - tossed them all recently. You can ship some of yours to him now if you want. As soon as I get another shipment in, I'll use that one to send him some Wachusett.

- Thomas - 06-10-2003

My, my, they are fighting over who will send me beer. I think I have arrived...

- winoweenie - 06-10-2003

Sounds like sending sand to the Sahara to me. WW

- Thomas - 06-10-2003

or liquid to the liquified...

- Innkeeper - 06-24-2003

BLUEBERRY BEER-BATTER WAFFLES:
Adapted from: Cooking Adventures With Michael Field (Pancakes, Waffles, Omelets, and Crepes). (Circa 1972)

12 oz Blueberry Ale
1 tsp Lemon juice
4 Eggs
1 tbl Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
1 ½ C Flour
2 tbl Lite Olive Oil
2 tbl Melted butter
1 C Wild Maine Blueberries (available frozen everywhere)

Pour ale into a bowl, add lemon juice, and let stand five minutes. In your large mixing bowl beat the eggs until creamy. Sift in the dry ingredients. Add the ale mixture. Add the fats. Beat well together for two minutes. Fold in the blueberries (still frozen if you want) Bake in a waffle iron on medium setting. Serve immediately; does not hold. If extra batter sits more than fifteen minutes, beat it some more.