WineBoard
Bentonite - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Home Winemaking (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-39.html)
+--- Thread: Bentonite (/thread-15140.html)

- Jumpshot - 11-28-2001

Hi, another question for the veterans out there. I am making another batch of Merlot from Alexander's Sun Country concentrate. I was told by a brew store employee to not add bentonite to the must until after the first racking. My instructions say to add in the beginning. He told me by adding it in the first stage that it would rob color and flavor from the wine. Any thoughts?
Thank you, Jumpshot

- Thomas - 11-28-2001

He's right about the color. It is one reason I am not a fan of making wine from concentrate--it really is a better practice to add the bentonite during fermentation, if only for the easability of racking the wine later on.

- Jumpshot - 11-28-2001

So this is a little confusing to me. Would adding the bentonite after primary fermentation protect color or flavor loss? Should I rack it then add bentonite or allow fermentation to slow and then add it before racking the first time?

- Thomas - 11-29-2001

First rack it off the lees after fermenting, then add bentonite and remove on the next racking, but be sure that all the bentonite has settled to the bottom; one way of checking if it worked is to heat a small portion of the wine and then let cool to see if it clouds over; if it does, the bentonite did not work yet.

What I meant to say is if it forms a cloud from the middle of the liquid.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-29-2001).]

- Jumpshot - 11-29-2001

Sounds good Foodie. In doing it this way is there a time frame that you should rack off the bentonite? Can it harm your wine if it is left too long? Thanks for your help.

- Thomas - 11-29-2001

Generally, and depending upon volume, four weeks before racking wine off the bentonite should be fine, and you should do it on a clear, high pressure day.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-29-2001).]

- Jumpshot - 11-30-2001

Foodie, what does a clear high pressure day have to do with it? Four weeks for the second racking, but what is with the weather?

- Thomas - 12-01-2001

Jumpshot, there is an old tale that turns out to have merit: one should rack with the sight of the full moon, or on a clear day. Seems that low pressure atmosphere keeps micro-particles in suspension easier than high pressure atmosphere. It isn't a problem for large volume, but for home winemaking it could make a difference in the success of the racking.

The reason for racking is to remove the liquid from the stuff that settles at the bottom. When you start the racking with a syphon you invariably stir up some of the particles back into suspension. High pressure might help them fall back to the bottom quick. Can't hurt!

- Jumpshot - 12-01-2001

Right, I will try anything once as the saying goes. I have also heard that you plant potates on the light of the moon! Foodie, what is your best guess on the number of usual days to rack the first time? Do you wait until there is a timeframe bewteen the bubbles from your airlock? I have heard and read to not wait too long but I cant find out what too long actually is. I know from my first kit, it said seven days but at that time it was still working fairly strong. I am beginning to find out that there is not too many things that are considered the right way or the wrong way, just a different way.

- Thomas - 12-02-2001

The best time for the first racking is right after fermentation completes.

Get yourself a Clinitest kit at the pharmacy. It is used to measure sugar in urine for diabetes, but it also works well to measure sugar in wine (because it works on a chemical color change, the kit is useful mainly for white wine, but can be adapted--I am told--for reds). Test the wine; when you have either no residual sugar (or hardly any) or when you have the desired residual sugar, should you be making a sweet wine, that is the time to rack.