WineBoard
wine glasses - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Paraphernalia (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: wine glasses (/thread-14977.html)

- dustyz_69 - 02-16-2003

Whats the difference between red wine, bordeaux, and burgandy wine glasses?

- Innkeeper - 02-16-2003

Hi Dusty, and welcome to the Wine Board. I may be in the minority around here, but I don't worry about all that. A great chef once started his cookbook by stating, "For cookware, use any pot without a hole in the bottom." I feel the same about stemware.

If you want to some illustrations of the different styles (as well as their prices) visit our store at: http://www.wines.com/store/ and click of the Glassware section.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 02-16-2003).]

- dustyz_69 - 02-16-2003

Thanks Innkeeper! I appreciate it!

- winoweenie - 02-17-2003

The only caveat I would address is what caliber of wines are you planning on drinking? As you graduate into better wines the glassware Definately makes a difference. For daily quaffers I agree with IK. WW

- dustyz_69 - 02-28-2003

Thanks ww. Actually, I just got married, and wanted some oversize balloon red wine glasses, along with some white wine as well, and the glasses I liked only described themselves as burgandy, bordeaux, etc. I do dabble in wine occasionally, it seems more of a passion to me than any of my friends, who are more beer drinkers. But I am enjoying it, and look forward to learning more along the way!
Right now, I love a woody dry merlot. The best Ive had yet is Chalk Hill.

[This message has been edited by dustyz_69 (edited 02-28-2003).]

- winoweenie - 02-28-2003

The glass of my choice for reds are the Riedel Vinium series. Great hand-blown crystal bowls and machine-made stems. Lots of deals on them in a 6-pack. Have no earthly idea about the SWs'. WW

- Bucko - 02-28-2003

Riedel is considered by many to be the best stemware on the market. Founded in 1756, the Austrian based firm offers some interesting scientific explanations as to why the shape of a glass is so imperative for enjoying the bouquet and taste of alcoholic beverages. Many experts in the field tend to agree. Riedel stemware is not inexpensive. They have several lines of glasses, from the Vinum Series for as little as $6 per stem, to the Sommelier Series for as much as $89 per glass. You don’t throw the latter in the fireplace!

Founded in 1521, the Spiegelau Crystal business is located in the small town of Spiegelau, Germany, in the heart of the Bavarian Forest. Spiegelau glassware is known for its quality and affordability. While they make glasses for a host of different wines, only three are really necessary. The Bordeaux or Burgundy glass will suffice for red wines. The Chardonnay glass provides all that you need for white wines. The Champagne flute is self-explanatory. All of the glasses sell for seven to eight dollars a stem in the “Vino Grande” line. These really give good bang for the buck.

The French wine authority Institut National des Appellations d'Origine (I.N.A.O.) created a standardized glass for international wine tasting. The egg shaped bowl is designed to enhance the concentration of the aromas and allow the wine to be swirled without spilling. These glasses are produced by many manufacturers for as little as $2.25 each.

I personally use the Riedel Vinum Gourmet glass. This is a very good, all-around glass that can be purchased for only five to six dollars a stem from discounters. I did use the I.N.A.O. glass for several years; however, an experience at Columbia Winery changed my mind forever. They served me two wines, one in a standard tasting glass, and one in a Riedel Vinum Gourmet glass. They asked me if I preferred one wine over the other. The wine in the Gourmet glass was more to my liking. Imagine my surprise when they told me they were the exact same wines. The gourmet glass allowed the wine’s subtle nuances to stand out. There is nothing like personal experience to make you an advocate of fine glassware. Salute!

- Thomas - 03-01-2003

Bucko, I did some research in Europe on wine glasses to sell at the store. The reason you can find discounted Riedel is that the regular price is excessive in the U.S.

As far as I can determine, Riedel glasses are mainly produced in the Czech Republic; the cost to produce them is quite low, but their marketing is quite good, and so their prices are quite high. Also, they are distributed through an army of (to be politically correct) middlepersons, jacking the price each time along the way.

The end result: we decided to seek other glasses that are produced in the Czech Republic, are of the same quality, and cost less.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-01-2003).]

- Drew - 03-01-2003

I'm not a fan of the Riedel Sommelier series (hand blown, as well as the price 2 @ $120). Had two until the one disintegrated in my hands while rinsing. They are sooo thin and fragile that it takes wine drinking to a new dimension. My remaining glass is resigned to looking pretty in the dining room never to be used. I am a big fan of the Towle wine stemware sold at Tuesday Morning stores nationwide. Oversized balloon and Burgundy shaped bowls, fully leaded crystal and good weight for $4 each. Perfect for fireplace tossing.

Drew

- Bucko - 03-01-2003

Fireplace tossing -- that gets pretty heavy and dirty, doesn't it?

- Drew - 03-01-2003

Hot too.....we toss ours while a fire blazes away.

Drew

- Georgie - 03-01-2003

I don't really understand what that glass tossing thing is all about. Is it supposed to bring you luck? To me it's a lot like strewing rose petals all over the bed. Kind of fun for a minute, but later on somebody's got to clean up that mess. I know, I'm such a romantic...

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 03-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 03-01-2003).]

- winoweenie - 03-02-2003

Agree on the Towle as everyday glasses, but the mouth-feel of the Vinium seems to enhace a good wine IMHO. WW ( I also lost my first 6 till I started on my kinder, gentler mode of handling )

- Drew - 03-02-2003

I'll have to pick up some of the Vinium and conduct a side by side taste/feel test.

Drew

- mrdutton - 03-02-2003

I like the Spiegelau glassware and use it for my everyday and fine wine drinking. We have some decent crystal made by Mikasa. However the Japanese don't seem to have a good feel for bowl size on their wine glasses; they are all very small compared to Riedel and Spiegelau.

I also have some very nice flutes from Waterford. We use those for special occasions and for toasting in the new year on New Year's Eve.

I have not experienced the use of the Riedel stemware, and may never. The stems are pretty expensive for my pocket book. Although I might be willing to try some of those in the $6.00 per stem range, but most likely not in the $89.00 range.

I think my Spiegelau glassware is right nice.