WineBoard
Zyliss Wine Thermometer - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Paraphernalia (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: Zyliss Wine Thermometer (/thread-14976.html)

- RAD - 09-05-2000

My wife bought the aforementioned gadget for me as a gift recently, and until I dropped it on the floor last week, breaking it to smithereens, it was one of the most enlightening wine gifts I've received to date.

With it came a fridge magnet listing appropriate temperatures to serve wine:

*full bodied reds, 59-63 F.
*light bodied reds, 59-61 F.
*dry white wines, 48-50 F.
*champagnes, 45-48 F.

I cannot believe how much this little gadget has made me appreciate my wines even more. It truly makes a difference. And I've red things like putting a wine in the fridge "for about 10 minutes." Let me be the first to say that putting wine in the fridge from room temperature (around 70 degrees) for ten minutes will lower the temperature by about a degree, no more. Starting from around 70, I've found that it takes about 8-10 minutes in the fridge to lower the wine a single degree.

The correct temperature at which to drink wines sparks many a debate (I recall Bucko saying he liked his whites the same temperature as his reds, and when quaffed around the 60 mark, I'd probably agree), but this little gadget makes it fun. Anyone else use this?

- Innkeeper - 09-06-2000

Oddly enough, the columnist we all love to hate (Matt Kramer), agrees with moi in the current edition of WS. The way to go is the ice bucket. You can get a two bottle size one from your local restaurant supply house for about one fourth what they charge at enthusiastic wine accessory sites and in their catalogs. You fill it up 4/5ths with ice, and then cover the ice with water. You have to know the temperature of the room the wine was kept in and the temperature you want it to be. One minute per degree in the ice bucket, or ten minutes per degree in the refrigerator: take your pick.

- winoweenie - 09-06-2000

Ik and the Forgetful Rad., the temps are perfect if you`re takin` them suckers out`a a marrvie cellar(LIKE MINE). I can`t believe that reds are served at room temps here in Phoenix.( 78) I serve reds at 54-56 and whites ( SW ) at the same temp. This is where I keep them lil` suckers , and think they show some stuff-n`-such at these temps. winoweenie

- chittychattykathy - 09-06-2000

Mix a teaspoon or two of salt in that water (depending on the amount of water) before you pour it over the ice , this will speed up the chilling.

- Innkeeper - 09-07-2000

The salt would hasten the process, but don't know by what rate/formula. Be sure to wipe all the salt off the bottle each time you take it out of the bucket.

- ddf68 - 09-07-2000

While I don't want to question the collective wisdom of this board, I have to throw in my two cents in defense of Matt Kramer. He's made a number of general suggestions, particularly with regard to the lesser Burgundies, which I found to be right on the money. ddf