WineBoard
VIntage Enhancer - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Paraphernalia (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-40.html)
+--- Thread: VIntage Enhancer (/thread-14975.html)

- amshih - 01-19-1999

Has anyone seen this gadget? It's supposed to "age" your wine 10 years or something using electromagnetic waves. I think it takes the cake for "most ridiculous"; who would want such a thing?

Besides, I think they got the "scientific explanation" all wrong; they claim it lowers the pH of the wine, reducing its acidity. Anyone who's studied basic chem knows that acidity goes up as pH goes down.

Plus, they claim it "ages" the wine 10 years (in 30 minutes) and enhances the fruity qualities of a wine. Folks, how many of your aged wines tastes *more* fruity than when it was released?

Oh well, there's one born every minute....

- Bucko - 01-19-1999

Yep, it is pure hogwash.........

Bucko

- Jerry D Mead - 01-20-1999

Reminds me of 15-20 years ago when famous Trader Vic's restaurant in San Francisco cellared all its wine under a pyramid, swearing it made it better.

I did (and so did at least one other professional taster I know of) get presented with wine that purported to be "crystal" influenced...and we both picked the suppposedly treated wine over the untreated wine. The crystal guy died shortly thereafter and the schoolteacher owners sold out to the Japanese, so never heard any more about it.

JDM

- tomstevenson - 01-20-1999

Jerry, turn to page 283 in my Christie's World Encyclopedia of Champagne & Sparkling Wine and you'll see a wine-ageing pyramid 'Cheops' still in use. It's used by Stephen Cipes at Summerhill Estate in British Columbia for his eponymously named Cipes sparkling wine. Stephen Cipes is an eccentric and a nice, softly spoken, very charming person. He plays a mean piano, but he does not play it any better in the pyramid than out. He once got me inside the damn thing on BC television doing bloody exercises! After five minutes exercising, he told me to rub my hands together very fast them hold them a few inches apart. "Do you feel the prickly sensation of energy from the Cheops pyramid flowing from one hand to the other?" he asked. "No", I panted, completely knackered after the exercises. "I can feel a prickly sensation, but after rubbing hands together like than anyone would feel a prickly sensation. It's just the capillaries going like the clappers."

Amshih, as to your "Electronic Vintage Enhancer" it's just a load pseudo-scientific crap and as you correctly point out, they can't even get the basics right. There are many ways of artificially ageing wines that work and some winemakers regularly employ, but the one thing that the wine trade and wine writers need to get across to consumers is the longer a wine takes to achieve complexity, the greater the finesse (it's what we loosely refer to as "ageing with grace") and the shorter a wine takes to age, the coarser the effect.