WineBoard
English Sparkling Wine or Champagne? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: English Sparkling Wine or Champagne? (/thread-14806.html)

- jasmudger - 10-09-2004

A funny subject heading, no? Surely a huge one sided vote would cast England into the shadows? But be careful, as experts have fallen victim to the blind taste test.

Recently i have begun to research this, and with Oz Clarke & Jancis Robinson heading the interesting debate it looks English wine is gaining credit.

It was said in Harpers (May 2004) hat 'English Sparkling Wines have beaten top champagnes in international blind tastings and yet are a fraction of the cost'

On a commercial tasting an English wine (Nyetimber) beat other champagnes in quality coming 1st with champagne taking 2nd 3rd and 4th with other English wines taking 5th and 6th.

Enough faffing on - i wondered if any of you guys from cross the Atlantic have tasted England's new nectar? what do you think?

- winoweenie - 10-09-2004

Not only have I not tasted same, I was ignorant of the fact you had vineyards producing the raw materials. WW

- Thomas - 10-11-2004

Jas,

I don't think England produces enough to send across the pond to us. Even if it did make it here, I suspect the promotion budget that would be required to get Americans to even show interest would be more than the cost of wine production.

We can't even get New Yorkers to drink New York wine. Not willupstate--he does his share.

Glad to see you do not refer to British sparkling wine as Champagne, the way some American producers still doggedly do.

Hey, I'll be submitting an article to Decanter soon--don't know when they will print it, or if. It's their choice, but they did commission it. It's about niche wine retailing in NY City.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-11-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 10-11-2004

You're writing on something you don't do anymore?

- jasmudger - 10-11-2004

Keep your eyes peeled then guys - the latest news buzzing around England's vineyards in that top Champagne producers such as Louis Roderer, Krug amongst others are looking to buy plots of land in South East (Kent/Surrey) England to produce new style sparkling wines. This is mainly due to the extortionate land prices in Champagne currently.

If you ever drop by in good old Imperial England try out our wines, they've tripled in production in past few years....and.... our first commercial Pinot Noirs were released a couple years back. So we got red, white, sparkling - the whole party.

Back to my site
laters jim

- Thomas - 10-11-2004

KC, doesn't mean I don't know who else is doing it...

There will be a disclaimer in the article to let everyone know I was once associated with one of the shops in the article. 7 stores are covered; only 800 words.

Jas,

I'm not surprised by wine in England. The Romans planted vineyards there and then they were abandoned after the decline of the empire. So, the climate had to have been suitable for some grapes. I am more surprised that wine is produced in Alaska!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-11-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 10-11-2004

Just a conversation starter, Foodie.

- wondersofwine - 10-12-2004

I tried a Pinot Noir from England from Curious Grape or some such. It did taste curious--not much like Pinot Noir. However, I'm willing to try other English wines when the opportunity arises.

- jasmudger - 10-13-2004

Curious Grape Pinot Noir is from New Wave Wine Ltd in Kent.

True it is strnage but one of mos repected of the new bunch winning a Gold Medal at the English & Welsh Wine of the year 2004 (one of only 5)

see http://www.ukva.org/EWWOTYC04/Results.pdf

Many of the Curious Grape got silvers too - so you've tried some of our best! The three Nyetimber in the document are the 'Champagne' styles which have fooled so many

- Thomas - 10-13-2004

jasmudger,

I know you are just getting into this thing--wine--but please keep the following in mind, and it comes from an old hand.

Gold medals, or any medals, reflect more the competition than the wine. For instance, if the competition for English/Welch wine of the year was just about English/Welch wine, and not in comparison to the rest of the wine world, it really says little about the wines themselves.

Having been consuming and been a wine judge for some time, I have come to the conclusion that today's competitions speak more to marketing than to wine.

It's ok to read what others have to say about their wine experience (tasting notes, even ratings) but it is best to believe what you taste and to compare wines supposedly in the same classification.

- jasmudger - 10-13-2004

chill out... a very patronising email thank you.

just merely reporting on English wines (something never done really before)

ciao

- Thomas - 10-13-2004

Sorry you feel that way; patronizing is far from what that post was all about. Tried to give you the benefit of experience.

It happens a lot that, online, people take offense (offence) where none is intended. In the future, I will remember that you don't respond well to such information.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-13-2004).]

- winoweenie - 10-13-2004

Forgive him Jas as he's been in a funk ever since 2-Buck-Chuck took Gold in his home state competition. WW

- Thomas - 10-14-2004

ww, you got that right. Such nonsense proves my theory...

Far too many untrained people are allowed to judge wine at far too many competitions. I used to be one of them!

- jasmudger - 10-14-2004

Sorry foodie,

I respect advice from my piers, I admit Im a yound addition to the world of wine. My grief comes from ignorant guys, for example, I managed a wine shop for 2 years and I held good qualifications (at the time) and good tasting experience BUT still they would not heed MY advice

But what makes it worth it are those guys who listen, and interact even though I'm half their age sometimes - so in every dull cloud theresa silver lining

a bit of national pride was washed in as well!

kind regards

- winoweenie - 10-14-2004

Don't apologise for honest observations. Lots of stuff is presented here htat has no credence. Foodie is a very sincere and qualified observer of the wine scene tho sumtime he be a tad bit fervent. It's always keen to have a different perspective and opinions on this subject. Keep on Keepin'-On. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 10-15-2004

fervent: ardent, impassioned, intense;
Oxford English.

Moi?

I don't want to disable the similes ww, I want to add a hundred of them... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- jasmudger - 10-15-2004

"fervent: ardent, impassioned, intense;
Oxford English"

see, i know i went on about England - but even foodie cant help it!

- Thomas - 10-15-2004

Since Britain was once known to send transgressors to the Tower, do you think I can persuade you to have me sent to the wine cellar for my transgression?

I'd gladly submit to a cell-ar filled with the best, plus subsistence on sublime offal dishes and a few dishes of sea food, mama...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-15-2004).]