WineBoard
Falling Star Merlot-Malbec 2000 (Argentina) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: Falling Star Merlot-Malbec 2000 (Argentina) (/thread-14790.html)

- zenda2 - 10-02-2001

Color: dark ruby-purple
Nose: dark fruits, leather (both faint)
Taste: Smooth, soft, light body, light tannins

Overall: Here's an inexpensive red wine for those who don't really like red wines, something for that in-law that everyone has. Falling Star Merlot-Malbec ($5). While it's not expensive, I won't label it plonk...it's too inoffensive to be plonk. There's nothing here to really dislike, this is a very mild and smoothly tasty wine. Not really exciting, but a lot of people don't need excitement in a wine, they just want a tasty quaff to drink with dinner...this is it.
Light body, soft, light tannins, it went very well with food and is decent enough to drink on it's own as an aperitif. At $5 a bottle, you're getting your money's worth. QPR+

Falling Star is imported by Wildman, it's an Argentinian blend of merlot and malbec. Malbec is another one of the grapes allowed in the Bordeaux blends of France. It's never been a popular grape in the US, rather tough to grow and 'not necessary' for a tasty cab-merlot blend, but of course malbec is widely planted in Argentina, more or less their national grape. It makes a nice solo red wine, one which goes well with their fine Argentinian beef.

- babs123 - 10-11-2001

I had this wine at a Silverton restaurant and I really enjoyed it. I have looked for this wine in the stores but cannot find it. Does anyone know where I may purchase it?

- hotwine - 10-11-2001

I bought some today in a supermarket, and am enjoying a glass at my desk. Same price, $4.99, and a nice quaffer. 51% Merlot, 49% Malbec, 2000 vintage.

- zenda2 - 10-11-2001

Babs123, just go to the nearest wine shop, tell them it's imported by Wildman, that it's a Tapiche 'Falling Star Merlot/Malbec' and that you've seen it for sale elsewhere for $5, but don't want to drive any further. You'd rather give them your business, and you'll be back to buy more than 1 or 2 bottles. This always works for me.

- hotwine - 10-12-2001

Babs, if you've already checked the shelves of retailers in your area - both wine/liquor stores and supermarkets - and you've not found it anywhere, approach the "wine guy" in the best shop, tell him what you're looking for, and ask him to check with his wholesale distributors. (He should do that while you wait.) It's possible that the wholesalers in your area aren't carrying it because it has such a low margin; there's just not much money to be made from a $5 wine (unless you can find a way to sell it for $20, like some companies I could name).
Zenda's advice is sound: approach your most customer-friendly wine guy, tell him what you're looking for, and suggest that you'd like to try a case, if he can provide it at $5/bottle. If he doesn't bite on that, you may need to use one of the members of this board who are "in the business" (ITB) to obtain it for you, although you would incur shipping costs. In your area, the nearest board member is probably Barnesy; look for one of his recent posts and click on the email button and send him a note.