WineBoard
Domingo Molina Malbec - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: Domingo Molina Malbec (/thread-14709.html)

- Innkeeper - 09-03-2002

2000 Domingo Molina, Yacochuya Vinyard, Malbec, Salta, Argentina ($13 Southern Hemisphere Wine Center). Although this wine was carefully crafted from grapes meticulously grown, it reminded me of the best of peasant wines from Southern France, Italy, and Greece from my youth.

In other words, a lusty wine. Almost pitch black color, overripe fruit and spice on the nose and upfront, massive complxity and chewy tannin cross the palate, all followed with an elegant and prolonged finish. This wine never saw a tree or a product thereof. What was the last time you enjoyed an oakless red?

Matched it with broiled fillet mignon with rasher, OO, and Morton Rub. The match was fine, but next time will try it with a homemade Kielbasa or similar sausage. Highly recommend this malbec in the latter setting.

- Innkeeper - 09-05-2002

Bingo! With the broiled sausage, and batter fried eggplant, it was a HUGE success. Fantastico!

KIELBASA:

8 lbs Pork shoulder in 1" pieces
2 lbs Beef shin meat in 1" pieces
4 tbl + 1 tsp Coarse salt
1 tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp Saltpeter
2 tsp Granulated garlic (garlic powder)
8 Cloves fresh garlic minced
5 tbl Dry marjoram
5 tbl Slightly crushed (not ground) coriander seed
5 oz Red wine
Sausage casings

Place meats in separate bowls; sprinkle and toss each with two tablespoons of salt; and refrigerate twenty four hours. Grind pork once coarsely with marjoram and coriander seed. Grind beef four times finely with minced garlic cloves. Combine meats with remaining teaspoon of salt, saltpeter, pepper, granulated garlic, and wine. Mix well and stuff into casings. Tie off at desired lengths. Is excellent cooked fresh, but smoking is also an option.

BATTER FRIED EGGPLANT:

1 lb of Eggplant (preferably long Japanese type, but round will do)
3/4 tsp Salt
Fat or oil for deep frying
2 Eggs (at room temp) separated
1/4 tsp Cream of tarter
2 tbl Full-fat soy flour (not lighter versions widely available)
1/8 tsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Ground celery seed
1/8 tsp Pepper
1/8 tsp Granulated onion (onion powder)
2 tbl Grated Italian grating cheese

An hour before finalizing dinner, wash and dry eggplant. Cut off stem and the very end (peeling is optional - we don't). Slice Japanese eggplant in half lengthwise (quarter round ones), and slice each half (quarter) into half inch chucks. Toss with 3/4 tsp salt in colander and place over two or three folds of paper towels for an hour. Heat fat or oil in fryer to 375 degrees. Sift flour and seasonings together, and grate cheese. Break egg yolks in a custard dish. Beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tarter and beat stiff but not dry. Fold in egg yolks, seasoned flour, and cheese in that order. Dry eggplant on paper towels and gently stir into batter. Fry in two batches, three minutes each. Stir each batch gently halfway to turn pieces. Drain well through frying basket or colander or strainer, and place first batch on folded paper towels on platter in warm oven. Repeat with second batch, giving it a minute or two in the oven draining before serving. Same recipe can be used with one pound summer squash (fry two minutes), and a pound of artichoke hearts (fry three minutes turning).

- Innkeeper - 09-24-2002

Just love talking to myself. Did it again last night with broiled lamb loin chops, eggplant salad, and garlicy limas. Mmmmm good!

- Auburnwine - 09-24-2002

Ah, my lunch of tuna salad will seem even less acceptable! Your meal description is making me salivate all over my keyboard.

I found a lovely wine/food combination the other night. A group of us had bought a Mediterranean meal at our church auction, and we had an array of Greek and Italian wines.

The seafood soup had a tomato base, and the 1999 Falesco Vitiano Umbria made a perfect match with the acidity of the tomatoes. It was a milk-goes-with-cookies moment.

- Innkeeper - 10-07-2002

Last night's bottle was accompanied with a spit roasted quarter loin of lamb, basted with white wine, OO, mint, thyme, salt & pepper; with the ever popular (at least in our house) eggplant salad on the side. Stunning.

- Innkeeper - 03-13-2003

Still have a couple of bottles of this from the batch. Opened one tonight and carefully decanted it. Matched perfectly with a spicy meatloaf, roast potatoes, and salad with homemaded Italian dressing. Tasted better than ever.

- Innkeeper - 02-26-2004

Weeeeeeeeeeell, recently picked up a couple more of the same vintage and same price. Popped one tonight with Hamburgers alla Orson Wells: http://wines.com/ubb2/Forum13/HTML/000205.html . Excellent.

- sedhed - 02-27-2004

I grew Japanese eggplant a couple of summers ago. Very few seeds, mild taste. Did well here.

- Innkeeper - 05-24-2004

Finished the last of our current batch tonight with broiled kielbasa, hash browns, and spinach. Good to the last drop.

- Botafogo - 05-28-2004

Carl, when we were pouring a bunch of Argie wines at an Argentine Film Festival here recently, the musicians from the Broadway Show Tango Forever were playing right next to us and the guitarist got on his cell phone and called people in Buenos Aires and bragged to them "You won't believe this: we are getting PAYED to drink Domingo Molina!"

Excellent juice, grill another goat and call me when it's ready, Roberto