WineBoard
2002 Fulton Petite Sirah - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Fulton Petite Sirah (/thread-14548.html)

- winoweenie - 05-05-2006

Inky Black! This is one intimidating Petite. From the oldest continuously owned vineyard in Napa valley (est. 1860) this is a new bottling for me but will not be the last time this hummer resides in my cellar. Nose of black plums, spices, white pepper, vanilla, and more fruit. All come over on the palate in a sophisticated, seamless manner along with the very essence of the Petite grape. Power is the operative word. Powerful entry, center and a 4&3/4-lapper finish. Still has a solid core of tannins to shed. Needs another 3-5. A colossal bottle of juice. 902/90. 34 by the box. 15.5% alc. WW

- Innkeeper - 05-05-2006

I would guess that five is more likely than three.

- Kcwhippet - 05-05-2006

I guess Lewelling must be about the second continuously owned vineyard - first planted in 1864.

- oostexan - 05-05-2006

Also interesting that Fulton is one of the very few wineries that I have seen that makes only Petite Syrah. Need to add this guy to list of wineries to check out. Interesting web site.

- winoweenie - 05-05-2006

As an aside..... He was the inventor of the One-Horse Plow which he used to groom his vineyard. WW

- winoweenie - 10-22-2006

Had another yesterday with BRW and his CB with some Mesquite Grilled Tri-Tip, Chicken, Shrimp and Whitefish. Fresh salsa fresh cole slaw and spicy red beans. This, black-as-Buckos'-heart beauty, cut thru the spices and salsa like they were made for each other. Got on the phone to Vintage and ordered a box of the 03 which BigRedWines wants to share. For lovers of BIG balanced juice strongly suggest you look this sucker up. WW

- winoweenie - 11-11-2007

Had another with dinner last nite Has softened somewhat but still needs another 2-4. For lovers of BIG this bugger's your cuppa'. No change in scoring. WW

- winoweenie - 11-17-2007

Can't seem to keep me mits offa' this bruiser. Had with mesquite broiled tri-tip. Whatta pairing. WW

- winoweenie - 02-04-2008

Needed something to pair with Black-Eyed Peas, salsa and smoked pork loin and this sucker did the trick. Tremendous depth that cuts thru spices like a hot knife thru margarine. Have the 03 resting away and 3 mags and a couple of 750s' of this hummer left. Love this stuff. WW

- winoweenie - 02-07-2008

Had this with the 03 today with BRW and my Thurs meeting. The 02 still is as advertised. Howm-so-ebberly the 03 hascomponents not shopwing in the 02. This sucker screams Rutherford Dust frum the Git-Go. Don't ever remember a Petite showing this much terrior before. Has everything the 02 has in nose and palate plus this hummer sings from the tip of the tongue to the adenoids.Has to be graded a solid 2 points above the 02. Great juice, WW

- bigredwines - 02-08-2008

agree with everything WW has stated. IMHO some of the best petite syrah I have ever had

[This message has been edited by bigredwines (edited 02-09-2008).]

- winoweenie - 05-13-2011

Recently discovered 2 magnums of this lovely thingie in the cellar and knowing BRWs' love affair with this varietal ande this vineyard in particular and seeing as we were having lunch at the club and hims be on a sabbatical thot I'd test his mettle. Wilted like 4-day-old lettuce whenced he saw what i'd brought. Time has really helped this monster to civility. Aromatics boom from the glass like a pre-dawn jailbreak at Alcatraz. Mouthfeel has softened, flavors meshing but the one constant is the color. Black as midnight. A really fun bottle and BRW did his share of damage whilst putting his hand over his glass AFTER every pour. WW

- TheEngineer - 05-13-2011

You evil evil evil nice man you........