WineBoard
Need help identifying Year of Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: Need help identifying Year of Wine (/thread-14538.html)

- Siobhan - 11-09-2005

I have a bottle of Almaden Mountain White Chablis. The Current Owners of Almaden told me that they were not the owners of the Almaden when this particular bottle was made and that I would need to talk to a collector, or contac the Wine Institute. If I describe the bottle and labels, is there someone here that might be able to tell me how old this bottle is? There is no year on the bottle. I appreicate the help. If you can't tell me the year, do you know who I can contact that might know?

Thanks,
Siobhan

- Innkeeper - 11-09-2005

Hi Siobhan, and welcome to the Wine Board. Almaden Mountain White Chablis is or was a cheap blend of field grapes, that sells or sold for very little and is or was meant to be consumed immediately. Older bottles have no value except remotely possibly as a collector's item. If it is one that comes in the widemouth shape, the empty bottle makes a nice decanter.

Californian producers such as Almaden are under increasing pressure to cease naming their cheap table wines after distinguished European wine districts. "Real" Chablis comes from the Chablis District of Northern Burgundy in France. It is made from 100% Chardonnay grapes, grown in a tough growing area making a wines frequently described as flinty or steely. These wines bear no resemblence to Mountain Chablis from California.

- Siobhan - 11-09-2005

Thank you Innkeeper. I figured that it wasn't worth anything, but I was just curious to know how old it was. There was an ` above the e in Almaden, so I figured it had to be old. It also has a wax wrapper over the cork and the bottom edge of the bottle has the size as being 4/5 quarts. Something you don't see anymore. As someone who is new getting into wines, what is the best resource for learning about wines. I see Wine Magazines all the time, but I am not sure which one is more informative for a newbe like me. I know that you can't always tell a wine by its price. I would like to know what makers are good for what kinds of wine. I don't have alot of money so we we are talking about wines that are no more than $30 a bottle. I just tried a bottle of Robert Mondavi's 2001 Private Selection Cabernet Sauvignon. I found it to be pretty good. I have always leaned towards white wines such as Pino Grigio, but I am starting to like the Cabernets Sauvignon's and the Shiraz's. Still haven't found a Merlot that I like. Although I like Austrailian wines, I find they give me an awful headache. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreicated.

Siobhan

- wondersofwine - 11-09-2005

Welcome to the board.
Andrea Immer publishes a yearly wine-buying guide that might be of help to you.
Andrea Immer Robinson's 2006 Wine Buying Guide for Everyone : Revised Edition (Andrea Immer's Wine Buying Guide for Everyone (Paperback)) (Paperback) latest edition came out in September and is available from www.amazon.com or other sources. Oz Clarke's Wine Guide and Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book are other annual buying guides. These list inexpensive wines as well as pricy ones.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-09-2005).]

- Innkeeper - 11-09-2005

Sounds like you a going down a sensible trail on your wine adventure. My favorite periodical is "Wine & Spirits" followed by "The Wine News." If you explore this site some more you will find lots of good information on specific kinds of wines in the second section that you are at the bottom of now, and more general info on the Novice, Wine & Food, and Best Buys threads. You will also find many recommendations for the "Dummies" books on wine, as well as many of Andrea Immer's works especially "Great Wines Made Simple."

- Thomas - 11-10-2005

Siohban,

The US wine market switched to metric on bottles around mid to late 1970s . Frank Schoonmaker established the Almaden "Mountain" wines around the early 1960s, and the line kept going into the mid 70s. So, the bottle you have is likely dated between those years.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-10-2005).]

- Siobhan - 11-10-2005

Wow. You have all been so helpful. I will definetly try finding the buying guides, books and magazines that you have all suggested. Thank you soo much. Can I ask what your favorite everyday kind of white and red wines are? It would be nice to see your selections.

- Kcwhippet - 11-10-2005

I know the Mountain White Chablis was available in 1954, because I remember seeing a few bottles of it at home. Chances are it probably goes back to about 1951 when the descendants of the original owners regained control. I don't know about now, but from its inception through at least the 80's, the Mountain White Chablis was 100% colombard with not a drop of Chardonnay.

- Thomas - 11-10-2005

Yep KC--I miss-spoke. Schoonmaker went to work for Almaden after the war. He started first the Grenach Rose wine and then the "Mountain" series.

Went to my notes this time instead of trying to use the memory.

- Innkeeper - 11-10-2005

Siobhan, the words "favorite" and "best" don't mean much to regular wine drinkers. What many of us like one week or one month or one year can easily be surplanted by the the next. Go to tastings at a local retailer. Buy wines like the ones you like, and then come back to appropriate thread(s) here and research more of those.