WineBoard
Volcano Winery Macadamia Nut Honey Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: Volcano Winery Macadamia Nut Honey Wine (/thread-14515.html)

- TheEngineer - 11-10-2010

It's ALIVE!!!

Okay, I know...it's not really wine...but I did pick this bottle up at the winery a few years ago when I visited the big island of Hawaii and the Hawaii Volcano national park.

I had bought it purely cuz it was to be a display, you know, plastic cork and all. this thing was suppose to have been long dead......then realized I had two bottles of this,...so I popped one....and it was just fine! I mean not a great wine and as you would expect it tasted a bit like honey water with some more density,.....not much more...I remember it when I first tasted it on the island and it tasted like a dessert wine and so it is here. [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img] wonders.....

- Thomas - 11-10-2010

OK, so someone explain to me why I clicked on this thread [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 11-10-2010

You had nothing better to do at the time, Foodie???

- TheEngineer - 11-10-2010

I KNEW you were gonna say that!!! [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Just for some freeky timing thing. I went to grab a book this morning and your book fell out (so I'm in the process of re-reading it again).......Chapter 1 was about the origin of wine,... grapes in tub and dark places, stories ofdistresed maiden in the harem....

I knew when I posted this that I was gonna get it for the non - wineness of this posting [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 11-10-2010).]

- Thomas - 11-11-2010

Engineer,

I go through all kinds of hoops to force people to read my books...somebody has to do it!

As an aside, I've been hearing about Michigan wine and wanted to taste some. My brother-in-law who lives in Ann Arbor visited over the weekend and brought five bottles of MI wine with him. So far, three out of five have been under par for me.

I've been trying to come up with a way to write about the experience without being harsh, but the three had so little to do with the wine that the label claimed them to be that I cannot figure out how to be nice about the matter--and so, I won't say anything specific.

Maybe I should have made this a separate thread, but this way it will get lost and I won't have to account for hating those wines.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-11-2010).]

- winoweenie - 11-11-2010

NOTHING you post is ever lost Foodster! Just in case, I archive it so I can wart youse summers down the turnpike. WW [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 11-11-2010

This is what happens when someone has nothing else to do with his time but drink wine and read the Internet--stalking! [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 11-12-2010

I have had some very good wines from Michigan. Better luck on your remaining two.

- Thomas - 11-12-2010

WOW,

I'm holding my breath--or nose!

They are sparklers. Just from reading the label, I am certain that one of them will be weird. I've handled them a few times, but haven't had the gumption to pop the corks.

The three still wines were a Gewurztraminer, Riesling, and Cabernet Franc, in that order.

The first one was good on the nose (floral, rosewater-like) but nothing on the palate, except noticeable CO2.

The second one smelled Lifesaver-ish and tasted like a flat piece of candy.

The third one almost smelled green pepperish--promising--but the taste was more like sweet fruit mixed with decayed leaves; reminded me of a French-American hybrid like Baco Noir.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-12-2010).]

- Kcwhippet - 11-12-2010

Isn't that green bell pepper an indication of under ripe grapes??? The first time I noticed it was in a Merlot from the North Shore of Long Island (I forget which one - it was so long ago). Whatever, I sort of liked it.

- Thomas - 11-12-2010

KC,

Chemically, the green pepper is in the Cabernet family, and yes, its strength is related to cool climate growing and/or ripeness.

Some of the best homes for Cabernet franc are in cool regions: Loire, northern Italy, Northeastern North America, therefore, the pepper is a somewhat signature of the variety. The winemaking trick is to maintain it at a subdued level or in a more rounded wine.