WineBoard
1999 Hedges Columbia Valley Red Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Northwest Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: 1999 Hedges Columbia Valley Red Wine (/thread-14478.html)

- zenda2 - 09-30-2001

Bucko touted these folks better blends on another thread & made me want to visit to this winery while I was in the area. I tried to visit a few weeks ago, only to find their tasting room closed. I saw this bottle back here for $10 and had to give it a try. In honor of the amazing view from Red Mountain while I pounded on their front door, if nothing else.
A blend of 52% Cab, 35% Merlot, 8% Cab Franc and 5% Syrah. Tasted in a 'generic' red wine stem with friends.

Color: Deep ruby, transparent at edge
Nose: Dark fruits, cherry, plums, yeast and olive combine for hot kalamata bread
Taste: Dark fruits, pepper, medium tannins, mildly tart, pleasantly so.

Overall: Quaffable plus! Went down smoothly solo, we were the victims of ravenous teens who ate everything in the house, this red cried out for good cheese and hot bread. We all agreed that another year or 2 in the cellar would bring this from a 'dang good (86-87)' to a 'mighty dang good (89)' wine. Not the boldest red to come out of Washington State, but a very tasty blend indeed, and high QPR. I really prefer this one to the CC, Hogue and Covey Run Cab/Merlot blends that compete at the same price point from the same area.

- winoweenie - 09-30-2001

KC-Zin-Girl, The Hedghes " Red Mtn " Reserve is a sock-roller-up-n-downer. Have a box of the 97 I'll pick-up next week. The 94 is a killer bottle of juice. IMHO, this bottling gives Leonetti fits for best of show. WW

- zenda2 - 09-30-2001

Hey, who you calling Zin-girl, WW? I realize you can't see the beard, but c'mon, I'm typing in baritone over here, pal!

Hedges makes good juice, I think we can agree on that.

- winoweenie - 10-01-2001

Sorry Pal.....Assumed you were of the other gender as I dated a knock-out named Zenda in College. Sorry, and you're right, Hedges be a super producer. WW

- zenda2 - 10-01-2001

S'awright...I oughta change screen names, just always wanted to be the guy from the 1930s movie 'The Prisoner of Zenda'. A lot of time spent drinking old wines in the royal hunting lodge, swordfights, castles, a princess with the hots for me...that always sounded good to me. But it just ain't happening, I might as well be 'Luke Floorwalker' or something.

Have you tried the Hedges '3 Vinyards' blend? I really wanted to give it a taste while I was out there, but they must have all been off at the royal hunting lodge chatting up the princess.

- Drew - 10-01-2001

WW, you know what assume means? Better watch your back side.

Drew

- Thomas - 10-01-2001

The Hedges 3 Vineyard is suuupoib!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-01-2001).]

- winoweenie - 10-01-2001

Agree with the foodster on the 3-vineyard. GreatP/Q wine., just not the juice of the Red Reserve. WW