WineBoard
Top Ten WA Whites <$15 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Northwest Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Top Ten WA Whites <$15 (/thread-14421.html)

- Bucko - 03-03-2003

I thought that I would share the results of a series of articles on the "Best of WA" series that I have been working on. While every WA winery did not submit wines obviously, these ten whites offer nice value and plenty of interest for $15 or less.

#9/10 (tie) – 2001 Bookwalter, Chenin Blanc, Ciel du Cheval Vineyard, Columbia Valley, Washington, $10. The nose is filled with peaches, apricots and citrus peel. While quite sweet, the wine is not at all cloying. Peaches and almonds linger on the finish. 85/85.

#9/10 (tie) – 2001 Gold Digger, Chardonnay, Okanogan Valley, Washington, $15, 850 cases. Yellow delicious apples, mango, vanilla and butterscotch intermingle on the nose. Creamy but maintaining nice acidity, flavors echo the nose, with a dash of almond for added complexity. 85/85.

#7/8 (tie) – 2001 Eaton Hill, Semillon, Fairacre Farms Vineyard, Yakima Valley, Washington, $10. Light to medium-bodied, this crisp new release gives off aromas and flavors of lemon zest and fresh figs. Match with your favorite shellfish. 85/86.

#7/8 (tie) – 2001 Fox Estate, Riesling, Columbia Valley, Washington, $10, 1000 cases. Freshly sliced apples and apricots delight the nose, while apricots dominate the flavor profile. With 3.8% residual sugar, the wine could use a tad more acidity to balance out the sweetness. 85/86.

#6 – 2000 Covey Run, Chardonnay, Columbia Valley, Washington State, $9, 80,000 cases. A tree load of pears takes the nose for a lovely ride. Creamy in texture, the green apple, pear and vanilla flavors combine to make a pretty tasty wine for the less than ten dollar price class. 85/87.

#5 – 2002 Bookwalter, Johannisberg Riesling, Columbia Valley, Washington, $10. Apples, honeysuckle and apricots rule the nose. Sweet, with very juicy flavors of mango, citrus and honeysuckle that is enjoyable. This is a nice match for a fruit and cheese plate. 87/87.

#4 – 2001 Silver Lake, Fume Blanc, Columbia Valley, Washington, $10, 1,875 cases. Nice acidity heralds in the lovely nectarine, grapefruit and orange peel aromas and flavors. Oak is noticeable, but is not a predominant player. Tasty. 87/88.

#3 – 2001 Hogue, Viognier, Genesis, Columbia Valley, Washington, 122 cases, $13. Too bad more of this wine was not produced. Run, don't walk to your local wine shop and request this wine. Straw gold in color, this Viognier delivers classic aromas of peaches and honeysuckle, augmented by delicate vanilla notes. Delightfully crisp, the flavors resound on the lengthy aftertaste. 87/89.

#2 – 2001 Waterbrook, Chardonnay, Columbia Valley, Washington, $10, 17,133 cases. Pleasantly crisp, without a heavy oak burden, this Chardonnay exudes aromas and flavors of casaba melons, white peaches, and citrus. Well-balanced with a creamy mouth feel, the wine finishes on a refreshing note. 88/90.

#1 – 2002 Thurston Wolfe, PGV, Columbia Valley, Washington, $13.50, 530 cases. A delightful straw color with a peach tinge. The nose is an enchanting mix of mandarin oranges, peaches, and floral notes. Light to medium-bodied, delicate, with delightful fruit from the Pinot Gris and Viognier. I wish that more of these blends enhancing the individual grapes were made. 89/90.

While not much of a Chard fan, the Waterbrook really delivers and the PGV is a true delight.

Bucko

- Innkeeper - 03-04-2003

Many of these sound yummy, but the Covey Run is the only one we are apt to find around here.

- quijote - 03-04-2003

I haven't yet tried a Viognier and have been planning to do so, so I went to a local shop tonight and asked the wine guy if he had any of the Hogue CV Genesis 2001. I got the last bottle (or so he said)! It sounds marvellous and can't wait to try it.

- Bucko - 03-05-2003

Terrific! I'm glad some made it out your way. It is a nice wine IMHO. The McCrea from WA is a stunner but also double the price.

- stevebody - 03-07-2003

Bucko, my esteemed friend, GOT TO throw the L'Ecole Barrel Fermented Semillion into that mix. How could you miss that one? Wine Enthusiast calls it the best American Semillion, as has R Parker in past vintages. Those of you not finding it where you are are URGED to find it online. It's a glorious wine, with layers upon layers of flavors and a $15 price tag. Have to chalk up Bucko's oversight to the press of business, I guess. You work too hard, pal! Thanx for the capsule reviews of the others, too. QUITE useful!

- Bucko - 03-07-2003

Tad too much oak for me. Their Fries Vineyard version is a stunner AFA intensity and complexity, but again, too damned much oak! Why do wineries ruin good fruit with termite food?

- Kcwhippet - 03-08-2003

Sounds like David Lake's little experiments with Viognier a few years back. He fermented and finished a batch with zero wood, another with wood finish and the last with all wood. The woodless batch was fabulously typical Viognier (like Horton's early stuff), but the rest tasted increasingly like hardwood flooring. The end result - he blended them all together "because consumers like oak." Oak has its place, but not in wines that derive a lot of their character and appeal from their delicacy.

- zenda2 - 05-18-2003

-- 2000 Covey Run, Chardonnay, Columbia Valley, Washington State, $9, 80,000 cases. A tree load of pears takes the nose for a lovely ride. Creamy in texture, the green apple, pear and vanilla flavors combine to make a pretty tasty wine for the less than ten dollar price class. 85/87

One of our local wine stores was clearing out a distributor's stockpile of 2000 Covey Run Chardonnay at $2.99 per this weekend. At this price I drove over & bought enough to last all summer. Afterwards I called a few friends and sent them over to stock up as well.
I love a bargain, especially one with a creamy texture, and a taste of green apples, vanilla and pears.