WineBoard
L'Ecole NO 41, Semillon - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Northwest Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: L'Ecole NO 41, Semillon (/thread-14396.html)

- Innkeeper - 10-06-2000

More formally we're talking about a 1996 L'Ecole NO 41, Fries Vineyard, Wahluke Slope, Washington Semillon. Been a long time since drinking a four year old white wine, but this baby has legs. It's not from sugar either as neither of us could detect any RS in it. It is light apricot in color. It enters with an ample load of fruit; can't adjectively describe it - just nice fruit. Next comes a complex acidity accompanied by only a hint, a'la Francaise, of woodpile. Finishes as smooth as silk. These characteristics enabled it to nicely marry with boneless chicken breasts in paprika, shallot, and cream sauce.

- Innkeeper - 10-13-2000

Had a second bottle tonight; this time with broiled sea scallops with a shot of pesto. Mmmmmmm goood. Hello, is anybody out there?

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 10-13-2000).]

- Bucko - 10-13-2000

No R.S. in these wines, just pure fruit. I wish that they were not so heavy-handed with the oak, but I am admittedly an oakophobe. I do like this wine on occasion with grilled seafood, and your dish sounds up to the task. I have not thought of pesto (what kind?) with scallops.

Bucko

- Innkeeper - 10-14-2000

Haven't had a lot of pasta since Mother has been on her low carb diet these last few years, so not much pesto either. However, at the end of each growing season we rip out all remaining basil before the first killer frost, and make pesto out it. Use it on things like sauteed chicken breasts, poached white fish, and the afore mentioned scallops. It is the almost traditional pesto out of Paula Wolfert's classic Mediterranean Cooking (circa 1977). She adds cream to finish it, which is the big difference.

PESTO:
2 C Large basil leaves (picked over, cleaned, dried, and tightly packed in two cup measure)
1/2 C Olive oil
1/2 C Italian grating cheese grated
1/4 C Pine nuts
3 Garlic cloves peeled
Salt to taste
3 tbl Heavy Cream

Drop basil into boiling water (we use a steamer) for ten seconds and drain. Reserve 1/2 cup of the basil water. Squeeze leaves gently to remove excess water. Place into blender with olive oil, cheese, nuts, garlic, salt, and water. Blend until smooth. Transfer to sauce pan and gently heat without boiling. Stir in the cream and serve. Keeps in refrigerator for a little while. To freeze, make pesto without cheese, garlic, salt, and cream. Freeze in two one cup servings. To serve add half the amount of omitted ingredients to each thawed cup.

- winoweenie - 10-14-2000

IK, Sounds like a winner. I`ll try it over the week-end without the cream, and use a fresh loaf of sourdough for dipping and maybe alittle extra parmasan to nibble on and a light pinot. winoweenie

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 10-14-2000).]

- hotwine - 10-14-2000

That's a great recipe, IK. Thanks!

- Thomas - 10-14-2000

C'mon ww, it is only 3 tbl of cream. Take the plunge! Thanks IK, for another variation on pesto which i will not be able to use this year. The damned frost hit here while I was away and in September--lost all the basil for 2000. Hasn't been another frost since.

This has been a most miserable gardening year for me. And to top it off, no edible figs for 2000 either.