WineBoard
Owen Roe - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Northwest Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Owen Roe (/thread-14352.html)

- mrdutton - 10-18-2007

Went to a new locally owned neighborhood restaurant for the second time last night. They had some new additions on their wine list including two new blends using old world grapes.

Interestingly enough I had, earlier in the day, visited my local wine shop to purchase some wines. Part of my discussion with the shop owner revolved around how much I missed seeing GSM (Not Chat Neuf du Pape) on the local shelves. I particulary waxed nostalgic for a bottle of Rosemount GSM which I had not seen locally in many years.

My ears perked right up in the restaurant when our waiter suggested that I try one of the really great new wines from their wine list, specifically Owen Roe Sinister Hand 2006. The waiter when on to explain that it was made from a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre; specifically 63% 30% and 7% respectively.

This particular brand of juice was selling at $35.00 the bottle, which I later found out is about 2 to 3 dollars higher than retail (on the right hand side of the country, folks.) (Another establishment in Norfolk is selling the same juice for $65.00 the bottle!) (Northwestwine.com is selling the 2006 Sinister Hand at $23.95 the bottle on the left (sinister) hand side of the country.)

This dark, ruby red, wine had a nice feel in my mouth. There was plenty of dark fruit along with some spice and a tannic finish that was not overly bold, but still I could tell the tannin was present. The nose was delicious giving me strong hints of the fruit and the spice.

I thought that the wine's acidity, fruity flavor, pleasing nose and smooth tannic finish were the components of a nicely balanced wine and a darn good one to drink!

Have any of you experienced this juice? If not then I would suggest that you do.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 10-18-2007).]

- Innkeeper - 10-18-2007

Sounds like a winner. Have not seen it.

- dananne - 10-18-2007

Have had the '03 and '04 Sinister Hand, and have more '04 and the '05 resting comfortably in the cellar. Agree that it's nice juice from my experiences, though I have not seen the '06 yet. Thanks for the note on it. I'll look to pick it up!

- Innkeeper - 10-19-2007

Well NH has it on their website for $23.99, but carries zero inventory statewide!!!

- winoweenie - 10-19-2007

Pretty amazing stuff there misserD! Doubly so because when BRW and I were at the club yesterday this came in, the bar manager opened a bottle and gave both of us a shot. Needless tio say we both ordered a box omn the spot and should be in today Agree in spades with your tasting notes but firmly believe this 4 lapper 27 buck bottle should go into the BEST BUY column. Maybe we mite hear BRWs' comments if he stops counting his money long enough to come online. [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]WW

- Shamrockchef - 10-20-2007

I just got the 06 in the store last week, and yes it's killer juice. Be on the lookout for the "Sharecropper's" Pinot Noir also from Owen Roe (second label). It's great Oregon Pinot for $23 a bottle. I apologize for straying off topic.

- mrdutton - 10-30-2007

Well the subject is OWEN ROE so you didn't stray. I am certainly willing to try a good Oregon Pinot, that's for sure!!

- dananne - 01-05-2008

Had a bottle of the '04 last night, and I thought I'd post thoughts on this thread rather than starting a new one, partly because the '04 is now off the shelves, and partly because I know WW and others have the '06 in their cellars, and you guys may want to know how this is doing to better gauge when to start cracking the '06s.

The '04 is showing a deep purple color, with some ruby flashes. Nose of earthy black fruits with a coffee/toffee note (something I find in different Owen Roe wines, including the Pinot). Flavors follow nose, with some tannins still present. Good acidity, particularly on the back end, and some brambly spiciness comes on late. This one will likely peak in the next year or two. So, even though vintages vary, I thought it might be helpful to know what this one is doing as you let your '06s slumber. Overall, probably a better wine than the price would suggest. In other words, I think it's a good QPR wine, even though most folks probably think of a value wine as being sub-$20. In my mind, a value wine could be $25, if it drinks like one that's $50. I bought this one in a Willamette wine shop for $26.99.

- winoweenie - 01-06-2008

Tankke dere Dan. Haven't broke open any since they entered the cellar. WW