WineBoard
A lovely winery visit - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Northwest Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: A lovely winery visit (/thread-14337.html)

- Bucko - 03-17-2001

Willakenzie Estate is located in the beautiful rolling hills of the Chehalem Valley. Situated on a former 420-acre cattle ranch, they have 100 acres of vines in production, with 120 acres plantable. The winery takes its name from the Willakenzie soil type on which it is posed.

The winery and tasting room were designed by the same architect who designed King Estate and Domaine Drouhin. Completely gravity-feed and located on three levels, the facility was completed in 1995. They believe in minimal, gentle handling of the grapes in the winery, and in sustainable viticulture practices.

Winemaker Laurent Montalieu graduated from the Institute of Oenology of Bordeaux. He worked for Chateau La Tour Blanche near the Sauterne region of France, Domaine Mumm in Napa, Bridgeview Vineyards in OR, before joining WillaKenzie Estate as a partner and winemaker. He is married to Danielle Andrus, daughter of Gary Andrus, owner of Archery Summit and Pine Ridge Wineries.

The wines:

1999 WillaKenzie Estate, Pinot Gris, Willamette Valley, $16, 3,559 cases. This is a well-balanced, fruity effort from WillaKenzie. Very fragrant, with aromas and flavors of pear, honey, apricot and ripe apple. Delicate sweetness (0.46% RS) is noticed on the crisp finish. One of the better new world offerings IMO.

1999 WillaKenzie Estate, Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, $23, 1,723 cases. The nose has black cherry and wormwood notes. Full-bodied, well-balanced, with black fruit, moderate tannins, integrated French oak, and a long, fruity finish. A nice, fairly priced wine.

1997 WillaKenzie Estate, Pinot Noir, Pierre Léon, Willamette Valley, $30, 1,868 cases. Rich black cherry, vanilla and light wood notes. Rich cherry fruit flavors, balance, and enhancing acidity exemplify this wine. Pretty good wine from a tough vintage.

1999 WillaKenzie Estate, Pinot Meunier, Willamette Valley, $20, 720 cases. Spicy, peppery, berry aromas are followed by lovely, soft red fruit and white pepper flavors. This wine is very approachable now and will enhance a host of food dishes. The best one that I have tried, but I have little experience with this grape.

1998 WillaKenzie Estate, Gamay Noir, Willamette Valley, $16, 353 cases. Bright red cherry aromas are followed by black cherry and blackberry flavors, cedar notes, and moderate tannins. The nice acidity and flavors makes this a perfect spaghetti wine, not something to think about too hard.

Bucko

- ddf68 - 03-19-2001

I think Willakenzie is just about as good as Oregon gets these days, and that's without taking into account the fact that their offerings top out at about $30.

ddf

- Bucko - 03-19-2001

Still pretty reasonable for sure.

Bucko

- barnesy - 03-19-2001

Considering I am seeing Oregon Pinot's priced at 50, 60 bucks....30 is great.

Barnesy