WineBoard
Wine Spectator reviews Oregon Pinot Noir (and others) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Northwest Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Spectator reviews Oregon Pinot Noir (and others) (/thread-14303.html)

- wondersofwine - 06-04-2004

I have to agree with some of WS choices on this one. They liked Ponzi, Torii Mor and Argyle, all of which I like and St. Innocent which Bucko likes. (The first St. Innocent Pinot I tried was too young but I've since tasted another one that I thought was quite well made.) I highlighted a bunch more to look for that I haven't tried yet (keep hearing recommendations for wines of Patricia Green). WS also liked Ponzi Pinot Gris but that's not a varietal I really like. I prefered their Pinot Blanc which isn't rated in the WS issue. Interesting article on Carlton Studio also. Eric Hamacher was one of the forces behind this shared winery facility and he is married to Luisa Ponzi, daughter of Nancy and Dick Ponzi. All winemakers.
I met Nancy and Dick Ponzi at the Triangle Wine Fest in 2003.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 06-04-2004).]

- dananne - 06-04-2004

I was pretty interested in that article, too. I can't wait to start diving into some of the Oregon stuff I've picked up of late: Lemelson, Ken Wright, Carabella, Hamacher, A to Z, Sineann, Bethel Heights. I'm starting to see some of the higher-end and/or smaller producers coming into the Atlanta market over the past year or so. I remember not too long ago when I wanted an Oregon Pinot around here, all I had to choose from was King Estate and Erath. I'm really not exaggerating.

Hmmm, this Oregon Pinot talk has gotten me to thinking about what to open tonight . . .

- Bucko - 06-06-2004

$75, $50, $85, $150, $75, $60, $50.......

Those are the prices of the top seven wines that the Spec rated -- ridiculous to me. None of the wines are even in a style that I can drink.

The Spec and WA have lost it, or at least lost me. Listen to the descriptors of some of the top Pinots, a delicate, feminine grape mind you:

Big, ripe, powerful, rich, seductive, generous berries, strong tannins, a blast of juicy blackberry -- is anyone else sick to death of these over-extracted abortions?

SCREAM!!!!!!! There, I feel much better now.

- Kcwhippet - 06-07-2004

What about Willakenzie? WS usually scores them fairly high. We stopped in there back in 2001, and a friend we were with mentioned to the guy in the tasting room that he and Judy worked with a Bernie LaCroute, the owner, back on the east coast a few years before. The tasting room guy gave a call to the house and it turns out it's the same person. Bernie came out to the winery, they reminisced, we tasted from barrel, etc., etc., so now we get a few bottles sent out this way every so often.

- wondersofwine - 06-07-2004

I think a couple Willakenzie wines got respectable scores. I'll check when I have a chance and let you know KC.

- dananne - 06-07-2004

I agree with Bucko, to a point. Those prices are nuts.

I, too, like the more feminine versions, and some can still be found in Oregon, though the tendency, admittedly, is still the masculine, tannic, extracted power.

I'll post on two Oregon wines I had this weekend later -- a 99 Lemelson and a 00 Benton Lane.

- Thomas - 06-07-2004

Oh Bucko--you is speakin' truth!

What the mags have done is succumb to the notion that the rest of us low-life, no money losers aren't interested in real wine--the money is at the top and so more and more they cover the real wines--read as, top money wines.

- chittychattykathy - 06-07-2004

When first getting into wine I almost only bought Oregon P.N., in fact, one year I toured the valley at least four times. Loved them.
Now days...
Well, I can't remember the last time I "paid" for ORE P.N.-- although I have consumed and really, really enjoyed many.
If I'm buyin' it's Cali or French first,
ORE has outpriced themselves in my mind.

- Bucko - 06-07-2004

Sad isn't it. Many delightful sub-$20 wines never get any press. Surely they can't be good because they don't cost fifty bucks.... what a scam.