WineBoard
Seyval Blanc - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Seyval Blanc (/thread-14243.html)

- White Wine Lover - 11-21-2003

I recently toured the Hudson Valley wineries, which included Brimstone Hill in Pine Bush. They have the most delightful Seyval Blanc. I just opened a bottle last night and really enjoyed it. I'm going to try to find it locally (upstate NY) or I just may have to order a case directly from the winery. Does anyone have a comment on Seyval Blanc and others I might try?

Thanks,
Donna

- Innkeeper - 11-21-2003

Seyval blanc is a French/American Hybrid that with her sister vidal blanc is grown extensively east of the Rocky Mountains. Like them both. I have found that if a winery offers both, chances are they have oaked the seyval, so will go with the vidal. It's always good to check. There is a hybrid grape called chardonel that is a cross between seyval blanc and chardonnay. Unfortunately it is usually given an overdose of oak too. If you can find a stainless steel tank fermented one, try it.

- wondersofwine - 11-21-2003

Montbray Vineyards in Maryland used to make a nice Seyval Blanc. The vineyard closed down maybe a decade ago when the owner/vintner was getting up in age. That's my only experience with the grape. I've had some Canadian Ice Wine (very nice) from Inniskillen but not sure if it was from Rielsing or Vidal Blanc. That was maybe three years ago.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-22-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 11-21-2003

Inniskilin makes ice wines from both grapes, wow. $65 in our shop.

- Thomas - 11-21-2003

Clinton Vineyards, in Clinton Corners (Hudson Valley) produces still and sparkling Seyval, and it is ok stuff.

Handled properly in the winery, Seyval can resemble Sauvignon Blanc--without the cat's liquid smell...

- White Wine Lover - 11-21-2003

I had forgotten about Clinton Vineyards, Foodie! I have been there in the past, but didn't make it this year. In addition to the Seyval's you mentioned, they also have a Peach Gala champagne I really like that is quite different. In fact, for the millenium, I brought some Peach Gala to Siesta Key, Florida and we brought in the year 2000 on the beach sipping that very champagne and watching the fireworks over the ocean. Thanks for reminding me of Clinton Vineyards, and that great night on the beach!

Donna

[This message has been edited by White Wine Lover (edited 11-21-2003).]

- Bucko - 11-22-2003

Now here's a grape without much respect. The wines can be quite good. One of the best that I've tasted in a long time is the Augusta Winery (MO) Seyval Blanc 2002. Two other dandies that I judged at the Indy International are Beachaven (TN)) Seyval Blanc 2002 and Montelle Winery (MO) Seyval Blanc 2002.

I don't know if IK was alluding to liking Vidal Blanc better than Seyval Blanc, but I am in that camp myself. The Vidals can be killers.

- Thomas - 11-22-2003

Vidal has the added advantage over Seyval of being able to last on the vine for some intense late harvest characters--yet its delicacy is surprising. The fruit of Vidal often reminds of angelic apricot.

- Thomas - 11-22-2003

WhiteWineLover, I know about Clinton's other fruit offerings, and have heard a lot of people refer to them.

I wish, however, the winery would stop using the word Champagne on its labels for NY sparkling Seyval, but I really get a turn when they use the word to identify sparkling peach.

It shows no respect for the real deal...in my (once again) not-so-humble opinion.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-22-2003).]

- White Wine Lover - 11-22-2003

Thanks to all for their comments and recommendations on the seyval's & vidal's.
(Foodie, I anticipated you were going to catch me on the "champagne vs. sparkling" thing, but didn't want to spoil your fun! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Donna

[This message has been edited by White Wine Lover (edited 11-22-2003).]