WineBoard
Knapp Finger Lakes Chardonnay - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Knapp Finger Lakes Chardonnay (/thread-14225.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Innkeeper - 09-17-2004

2002 Knapp, Finger Lakes, Chardonnay ($10.95 before discount at winery). Alcohol 12%. Medium bodied giving light citrus and apple on the nose and upfront. Lean and almost Chablis like, totally oak free, and pleasant as it crosses the palate. Finishes nicely. Matched it with flounder fillets broiled with butter, salt, and paprika; and fantastic batter fried eggplant. Used fingerlings picked this morning that just had to be sliced crosswise: http://wines.com/ubb2/Forum30/HTML/000149.html

- californiagirl - 09-18-2004

This was my favorite chardonnay from NY- I believe I posted on it 3-4 months ago. There's nothing like a well made chardonnay without the overpowering flavor of oak!

- Thomas - 09-18-2004

Glenora owns Knapp, so it makes sense that the wine is good!

- Innkeeper - 07-06-2006

Picked up two last month before having lunch with Gene there at Knapp. Ended up having it with lunch as well. He now bottles it as a N/V wine at the same price and alcohol level. It is still oak free, carries the Finger Lakes appellation, and is chock full of fruit throughout.

We matched it with chicken smoked over apple chips, potato salad, and tossed salad with raspberry/hazelnut dressing. All very nice for a weekday night.

- Innkeeper - 07-07-2006

Other half of the bottle tonight with grilled (and a little bit of apple chips) halibut steaks, pilaf, and spinach. Yum, yum.

- Innkeeper - 10-30-2006

Opened the last bottle of the last purchase tonight with broasted chicken breast, lima beans, and salad. It was every bit as delightful as the previous bottles.

- Kcwhippet - 10-31-2006

I hate lima beans!!

- Innkeeper - 10-31-2006

Look, I've even started eating asparagus, the mere smell of which used to make me barf. Just dump a bag of frozen fordhooks into a pot, cover with water, and add EVOO, chicken stock base, Lawry salt, grinds of a peppermill, chives, and lots of granulated garlic. Boil rapidly until there is no more liquid in the pot. Mmmmmmmmm.

- wondersofwine - 10-31-2006

I'm with KC on this one. I hate lima beans.

- Kcwhippet - 10-31-2006

I've had many weird foods while I was growing up and later in my travels around the world. One of the strangest was at a little roadside restaurant in a nameless village on the west coast of Taiwan. It was sea cucumber and fish maw in a seaweed infused broth with noodles. I ate it all, but I still can't stomach lima beans.

- Thomas - 10-31-2006

WOW, KC, what is it about lima beans, apart from other beans, that gets such a reaction from you?

I always feel fortunate when I think of how few foods there are that I won't eat. [img]http://205.134.252.108/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 10-31-2006

If we've finished beating the limas to death, had the second half of the bottle today with early dinner. It consisted of chicken brats, Vidalias nuked in EVOO, Dijon mustard, hoggie buns; and salad. Hope that menu meets everybody's approval.

Wine was just fine, second day around.

- Thomas - 10-31-2006

What the hell is a hoggie bun? Sounds like something you'd see going into the gym for the first time...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 10-31-2006).]

- Innkeeper - 12-29-2006

To begin with a hoggie bun is slightly smaller than the kind you put stuff on for a hero, wedge, Italian, sub, or whateveryoucallit.

We enjoyed another bottle tonight with sauteed grouper, pilaf, and peas. All very nice thank you.

- winophite - 12-29-2006

Had Hoagies last night, virginia smoked ham, salami and pepperloaf with pepperjack chese on sweet bread hoagie buns. Had a local chardonnay to wash it down, Gooood stuff. WP

- Innkeeper - 01-26-2007

Killed out last bottle tonight. Can't wait to get over there.

This time is was with winter flounder rolled up with Ritz Cracker stuffing and baked in a cream sauce; pilaf, and salad.

- Innkeeper - 02-22-2009

We received three '06s in the free shipped case we ordered late last year. The Chard is now priced a $11.95 and weighs in at 12% alcohol. It drinks absolutely the same as the '02 described above. All this makes it a great every day drinker.

We popped one last night with Turkey Tetrazzini and peas. Very nice dinner.

- Innkeeper - 08-12-2009

Been sipping on an '07 today. Mmmmmm good!

- Innkeeper - 12-04-2009

The other day I was looking for my half bottle because Beverly was ill and couldn’t
drink any wine. I finally found it in the fridge with wine in it! Since it is
a brown bottle, we could not tell if it was red or white wine. We finally
remembered that the last time we used it was when Bev was on a mold free diet
the first week in November. We could not remember what wine it was and decided
it could not be any good. Well today I poured some out and tasted it, and then
gave it her to try. She identified it as a Chardonnay; I had already decided it
was a Knapp Chardonnay. There was no oak, and the wine was not only still OK,
but identifiable. Unbelievable!

Finished it with sliced apple and cheese tonight, and the wine was remarkably good.

- Innkeeper - 04-09-2010

We popped another '07 tonight. It is still available at $11.99, 12.5% alky, oak free, and with a Finger Lakes AVA.

It matched perfectly with Haddock a'la Creme', rice in veggie stock, and peas. Great Friday night dinner.