WineBoard
Norton from Virginia - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Norton from Virginia (/thread-14220.html)

- Innkeeper - 10-09-2001

1998 Horton Vineyards, Orange County, Virginia, Norton. Horton Norton sounds irresistible, doesn't it. Norton, for the uninitiated, is a Native American. In other environs, such as Missouri, it is known as Cynthiana.

Also known as the Virginia Claret, this one is nicely crafted. Blackberries and spice on the nose with no foxy traces. More fruit and spice along with some mild coffee joined up with minimally full body (12.5%) and smooth tannin in the race across the palate, ending with an oak inspired spicy finish.

Turned out to be a perfect match for leftover pork barbeque, and eggplant salad, two dishes that taste much better as leftovers. Would like the try more of this one.

- Drew - 10-09-2001

IK, I posted favorably on this 3/4/01 in wines without a category and agree that this is a very nice wine.

Thanks Mike for the wine that you’re sportn’..
The one like the salt they call Morton..
I liked it a lot
But the name I forgot
“Twas nutton, said Dutton
The wine that you like is a Norton, by Horton! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 10-10-2001).]

- winecollector - 10-10-2001

Drew- Just how much did you have to drink???

- wondersofwine - 10-10-2001

IK, What's your recipe for eggplant salad? I love ratatouille and eggplant parmesan but would like some other suggestions for this vegetable.
P.S. A friend took me on a tour of about three wineries in Virginia some years ago but I don't remember which ones or which wines I liked.

- Innkeeper - 10-10-2001

EGGPLANT SALAD:

1 (1/4 lb) White onion
1 (1 lb) Eggplant
2 Sweet red peppers (preferably long Italian type)
1 (1/4 lb) Very ripe tomato
1/2 tsp Crushed garlic
1 tbl Mince parsley (preferably Italian flat leaf)
2 tbl Olive oil
1 tbl Red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
Pinch salt
Pinch Sweetener
Few grindings from pepper mill

In the morning (after breakfast) peel and quarter onion. Cut stem from eggplant. cut in half lengthwise, and put skin side up in ungreased roasting pan with lid along with peppers and onion. Roast, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 17 minutes. Turn onion and peppers, and roast 17 minutes more. Remove from oven, cover, and let sit until cool (or until evening when you finish salad). Peel, seed, and chop peppers and eggplant. Also chop onion and tomato. Combine in a bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Toss with vegetables. Serve. Stores in refrigerator almost indefinitely, but should be brought to room temperature before serving. If you have a large enough roasting pan you can make a double or more batches at a time, since it does keep well. Serve with strong flavored Mediterranean meat or fish, especially lamb.

- wondersofwine - 10-10-2001

IK,
Sounds great! Thank you.

- zenda2 - 10-10-2001

I was just looking at a recipe today in "Lulu's Provencal Table" by Richard Olney, it might be useful for y'all.

4 heads garlic, cloves separated and peeled
Salt and freshly ground pepper
~ 1/2 cup olive oil
8 small eggplants (~ 4 lbs)

lightly boil the garlic in salted water for 15 minutes, drain and push thru a fine sieve. Taste for salt, season with pepper and stir in enough oil to loosen the purree to a spreading consistancy.

meanwhile, cut off the stem ends of the eggplants and split in two. Cut 'crosshatch' lines on the fresh cut surface, dribble olive oil on, and rub into the cuts. Season with salt, pepper and grill (or broil) until the cut surface is golden brown. Turn over and grill the skin side, it's done when a sharp knife meets no resistance near the stem end. Arrange on a platter and cover with the garlic cream. Serve with grilled meats, especially lamb.

By the way, I really like this cookbook. It's written about the family that owns Domaine Tempier in Bandol, Provence. A good Southern French cookbook, a better look at some people who've figured out how to live. Much in here to be admired.

Carl

- zenda2 - 10-22-2001

Helping my father move, I turned up a bottle of 1994 Heinrichshaus Cynthiana (Norton) that I gave 'em years ago, hidden in the cool basement. It looks to be in excellent shape. Dad's meds won't let him drink it nowdays, so I brought it home. This one is from my favorite Missouri winery, always produces a well-made wine. Heinrich is a Swiss winemaker who moved to Mid Missouri for the low land prices on Appellation rated winery real estate. If anyone ever tours the Missouri wine country, drop me a line for directions to the winery, it's not a 'tourist spot', hidden away in the woods.

I'll set the bottle aside and include it in the next 'semi-golden oldies' dinner around here, fill in the tasting notes then.

- Thomas - 10-22-2001

wondersofwine, here's a recipe for "eggplant caviar"

1 large eggplant
2 large sweet red peppers
three garlic cloves
1 shallot
handful chopped cilantro leaves
teaspoon (or more, to taste) turmeric
two tablespoons olive oil
crushed black pepper
pita bread or any other flat bread

slice the red peppers in half (length-wise) remove the innards and seeds, place (skin up) on a pan and roast in a toaster oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

cut the eggplant in half (length-wise) and steam it until the inners are soft.

chop and saute the shallots (1 minute) in tablespoon olive oil then chop and add the garlic to saute 1 minute more.

scoop out the innards from one half of the eggplant and throw into a blender; take the innards and skin of the other half and throw into the blender; remove skin from the roasted red peppers and throw the peppers into the blender; add tablespoon olive oil to the blender, plus the sauteed shallot and garlic; blend it all briefly.

remove the mix from the blender, add chopped cilantro, turmeric and black pepper and stir for a few minutes.

place in a bowl and refrigerate until nicely chilled.

serve chilled with warm pita bread as an appetizer.

- mrdutton - 10-22-2001

I know I've made this comment before, but sometimes it does not hurt to repeat one's self.

Horton Vineyards is the ONLY Rhone Ranger on the East Coast.

Their Norton is good,
patriotic and local,
it comes from the hood.
But without trying to be too vocal
I'd suggest that you try Stoncastle.
Made of old vines from Rhone, in France.
Even my lady sips and agrees,
it adds to the meal and helps with romance.

They also make a decent Viognier - once or twice served at White House events - and maybe even more importantly served at the Trellis in Williamsburg.

I am proud of some of the wines from Virginia and I'll squawk about them in a heartbeat. However there are some that are a bit above drek and a bit below mediocre (sp?), also.

Cheers.

- Innkeeper - 10-22-2001

Not the only one Mike. Valhalla Vineyards 6500 Mt. Chestnut Road, Roanoke, VA 24018. Produce syrah and viognier, and are card carrying members of the RRs.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 10-22-2001).]

- mrdutton - 10-23-2001

I guess no one has told Horton that they are no longer alone. Last time I was there, which was only a few weeks ago, they were still saying they were the Lone Rhone Rangers of the East Coast.

Gotta fix that, eh?

- NarSki - 11-02-2001

mrdutton
I would love to hear your "squawking" about Virginia wine! My husband and I live in Richmond, VA. We are new to the world of wine (and to this board) and we have found that visiting the local wineries and festivals are the best way for us to find wines we enjoy. We are always interested in others opinions.

Stephanie

- mrdutton - 11-02-2001

Stephanie,

Welcome to the Wine Board. Nice to have another from the East Coast and on top of that another Virginian joining us.

The best way you can find out about Virginia Wines consists, in my humble opinion, of a two part quest.

First, follow the wine festivals. What the heck some of them are down right fun and get you around from the Beach to the Shenandoah and further.

Second, follow the trail yourselves. I live in Virginia Beach. Williamsburg is just an hour away. Horton and Burnley are about three hours away. Jefferson Winery is not much further. On top of that there are a whole bunch more in the same general vicinity of the ones I've just mentioned.

Horton and Burnley are my favorites, so far. Frankly, I am no great fan of the Williamsburg Winery. They do make a drinkable red blend; but it must not have been that impressive because I can't remember the name........

Check out this web site:

www.virginiawinecountry.com

Happy wine hunting!

- NarSki - 11-05-2001

Thanks for the info! We actually went on the "Heart of Virginia" wine trail this past weekend. We were quite impressed with Cooper Vineyards. They have only been around for about three years I believe. Are you familiar with them?

We have been to a few festivals including the one at Townpoint Park a few weeks ago.

Burnley is one of our favorites also. We have never been to Williamsburg Winery and we haven't heard too many good things about them so we aren't in any hurry.

We are not wine connoiseurs by any means and so we like to hear the opinions of people who are more knowledgable on the topic! In fact this past weekend the owner of Grayhaven Winery gave us a lesson on how to taste wine and why you do certain things. We knew what we were supposed to be doing but not why we were doing it [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/redface.gif[/img])

- wondersofwine - 11-05-2001

Thanks for the additional eggplant recipes. I'm eager to try them. Zenda sent one from a cookbook by Richard Olney. I met him once at a winetasting dinner or event in Washington, DC--I think through Les Amis du Vin.
Foodie, your "eggplant caviar" sounds similar to an eggplant relish recipe I got from a "Sunset" appetizers cookbook. The recipe I have didn't include cilantro or turmeric however.