WineBoard
Chicken Gumbo - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Chicken Gumbo (/thread-1422.html)

- jpbrown68 - 12-20-2003

Could you please tell me what wine is best suited with Chicken Gumbo. We are for the Mississippi Gulf Coast and want to serve our friends at dinner.

- Kcwhippet - 12-20-2003

Well, if your gumbo is as spicy as mine, then I'd suggest a Riesling. IK should come around soon to give a rec on a specific one.

- jpbrown68 - 12-20-2003

Thanks for the reply.

- Innkeeper - 12-20-2003

Agree with riesling. Would go for one that was "off dry." A German Kabinett Riesling or an American that does not say "dry" on the label. For this dish stay away from those from Alsace and Australia. For less spicy dishes go for those and others that are dry. If you can find Greenwood Ridge, Mendocino, White Risling; grab it.

- Kcwhippet - 12-20-2003

Thanks, IK. Knew you come in with a good one.

- hotwine - 12-20-2003

We've paired gumbo with Sauvignon Blanc lately.... Deerfield Ranch from CA and Dom. de la Rossignole from the Loire region of France. Both worked very well. If you want to keep costs down, you might look for the Kendall-Jackson Sauvignon Blanc, which should be available for $6-8 at Sam's or Costco.

- Thomas - 12-20-2003

While I don't disagree with Riesling as a choice, I have also paired spicy gumbo with Rhone and Rhone-like reds, and it can work.

- jpbrown68 - 12-20-2003

Thanks to all of you for your great responces. I think I have enough info. to go shopping now. I will let you know how it turns out.

- Bucko - 12-21-2003

I'm with Foodie. If you are eating my gumbo (read SPICY and HEARTY), no wimpy white will stand up. You need a Cotes du Rhone or similar ilk.

- hotwine - 12-21-2003

If the gumbo is the main course, then we'll zap it with lots of spices and Tabasco, and that calls for a spicey wine - a big Syrah or Zin, usually. But we frequently use seafood gumbo as a side dish, and in that case its spices are neutered to accompany other stuff. That calls for the SB pairing.

- Botafogo - 12-21-2003

I think a big, spicy, fruity but dry Grenache or Tempranillo based rose (from Spain probably) served ICE COLD would nicely wrap up all of the positive attributes of all the wines above (and can be gotten for $6-10). Cheers, Roberto

- Kcwhippet - 12-23-2003

I still like my Riesling, but there are so many nice alternatives listed above I may have to do some testing.

- winoweenie - 12-23-2003

One of the few times I drink hearty( Read Rose) SWs'. But do prefer Thones.WW

- Drew - 12-23-2003

I'm hosting the Christmas Eve gathering for the family this year and one of the appetizers is my WORLD FAMOUS Shrimp, Oyster, Andouille sausage Gumbo. Pairing with it is a 2000 very nice Cotes du Rhone...Tn's to follow.

Drew

- hotwine - 12-23-2003

Yeah, see? You threw sausage into the equation. That changes thangs. Also, that Andouille thingie, whatever that is....

- Innkeeper - 12-23-2003

Hotsie, if you don't know what andouille is, you don't know what gumbo is.

- jpbrown68 - 12-23-2003

IK you got that right. Gumbo is very unique and should not be played with by amatures. The wine is very important. So is the saugage!

- Kcwhippet - 12-24-2003

Oh yeah, andouille is the base for real gumbo and jambalaya. If you're going to look for it, make sure you pronounce it correctly - it sounds like ondwee.

- Botafogo - 12-24-2003

My Grandmonther always started with a stock made from turkey necks (all the cartilage and gelatin breaks down into a really rich base) THEN put in the Andouille.....