WineBoard
Glenora hospitality - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Glenora hospitality (/thread-14207.html)

- Thomas - 02-16-2003

Yesterday, kcwhippet and I gladly succumbed to Gene's hospitality at Glenora. I say gladly because we had a wonderful series of Riesling flights that took in a bunch of Finger Lakes producers and a bunch of Glenora past and present Riesling offerings.

There was a lot to like, and only a little to find fault with, but there was no reason to find fault with the generosity at Glenora, even if it took cajoling to get Gene to stand up and to pour the wines...

And, kc and I met for the first time--and I met his wife too, who has a good wine palate and an interesting food agenda!!!

Inc identally, the two ringers in the tasting, Dr. Loosen Spatlese and Hogue Late Harvest showed mixed results when compared to Finger Lakes Rieslings. The former stood up fine, the latter was no contest.

The results of the tasting will wind up in my upcoming article for Slowfood magazine regarding the Finger Lakes.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-16-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 02-17-2003

I definitely have to second Foodie's comments about the hospitality and generosity at Glenora. Gene went way above and beyond in setting up the tasting and making us feel very welcome. Besides laying out a raft of Glenora's current wines, library wines and wines from the tanks, he also set up about a dozen bottles from his competitors around the Finger Lakes. These were all Rieslings, and I've never had the opportunity to taste through such an array of Rieslings before, since I've been more focused on reds in the past and mostly those from California. Well, my eyes have been opened - the Finger Lakes have definitely got the goods! If any of you out there get an opportunity to find any FL Rieslings (particularly Glenora) do not hesitate to pick some up. They are wonderful.

Foodie's right about the Hogue. It just didn't have a chance. Judy mantioned later that it seemed like a Little Leaguer trying to make it in the bigs. I'm sure there are other PNW Rieslings that would have stood a better chance, but not that particular Hogue.

I look forward to that article, Foodie. Are you going to post it here for those of us not fortunate enough to get the Slowfood mag?

Once again, wonderful company and wonderful wines.

- Innkeeper - 02-17-2003

Sounds wonderful. Sorry I missed it. Gave it due consideration, but goings on here precluded it. Glad you had a great time.

- Kcwhippet - 02-17-2003

I forgot to mention that Gene put out some Gewurtz and Pinot Blanc after we exhausted all the Rieslings. The PB was one of the finest I've had in awhile and we picked up a few to take home. If you can find it anywhere, get it.

- Thomas - 02-17-2003

Yeah kc, I forgot to mention the P Blanc and Gewurztraminer.

Unfortunately, the Gewurztraminer Gene had was not the one I prefer from that producer--their dry is far superior. But then, there are two types of wine that normally do not appeal to me: most Muscats, and sweet Gewurztraminer, which is rather consistent, since the grapes are family relations.

We carry the P Blanc at is-wine from time to time. It is a hard sell (no one knows it) and it is difficult to get from the winery--low production. But it is a fantastic wine.

- winoweenie - 02-17-2003

Great Notes Makes me ALMOST.............................................................................................................................................................................. ..............................................NAW!!!!!ww

- Kcwhippet - 02-17-2003

You just might be surprised, ww. Some of these aren't your typical SW's.

- Thomas - 02-18-2003

Kc, you can't persuade someone whose idea of drinking wine includes a varnish chaser...

- Kcwhippet - 02-18-2003

Maybe the wine we had last night might. It was an Arneis from Viansa. A lot of weight for a white and wonderful green apple/pear taste with a long finish showing good melon. Not a SW at all.

- wondersofwine - 02-18-2003

I had posted earlier on Hogue Late Harvest Riesling vs. Greenwood Ridge Late Harvest Riesling. The Greenwood Ridge was the decided winner. The Hogue just didn't have the residual sugar I would look for in a late harvest wine.

- ShortWiner - 02-18-2003

Ok, ok, I give up--what does "SW" stand for, WW?

This sounds like a great experience! I'd love to get up to the FL region sometime.

- Innkeeper - 02-18-2003

WW says he drinks nothing but reds, although he slips up now and then. Refers to white wine as Sissy Whites or SWs.

- ShortWiner - 02-18-2003

Haha! I figured it was one of the weener's special terms. Thanks, IK.