WineBoard
'03 Glenora Dry Riesling - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: '03 Glenora Dry Riesling (/thread-14204.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Innkeeper - 08-20-2005

2003 Glenora, Finger Lakes, Dry Riesling ($13.99 at Winery). Alcohol level 11%. The R.S. in this one is around 1.4% versus 1.9% for the "regular" Riesling. It is also delicious almost beyond description. The slightly off dry elixer is perfectly balanced with fruit and varietal character. Matched it with prefabricated lobster ravioli in a fresh Alfredo sauce, and salad. Absolutely wonderful.

- Innkeeper - 09-04-2005

Another of these last night with fried chicken, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, and salad with tomatoes from the garden. Yum, yum. Excellante'.

- robr - 09-04-2005

Finger Lakes, where is that?

- wondersofwine - 09-04-2005

Finger Lakes is a New York State wine region. Glenora is on Lake Seneca and we had an offline in May 2004 at Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars. Also visited wineries and Foodie's place on Lake Keuka.

- winoweenie - 09-04-2005

And may I add, the owner of Glenora Gene makes some of the best SWs' and Bubblies in the whole U.S. of A. WW

- Innkeeper - 09-05-2005

Don't know if all the bugs are out of the shipping legislation, but you might be able to get some shipped to you. http://www.glenora.com/

- Bucko - 09-05-2005

I'm waiting as well. We like a nice FL Riesling when we can find one, which is rare.

- Thomas - 09-05-2005

bernkastler,

The Finger Lakes region is vast, taking in parts of central NY State and down to the Pennsylvania border with NY--a few thousand miles in circumference, I believe.

It has been a wine producing region since 1860--was once the most recognized American wine region in the world, after it had eclipsed Ohio, Missouri and California, which had been the most recognized American wine regions.

Today, the Finger Lakes region produces top-notch Riesling and Sparkling wine, and it also offers some satisfying Gewurztraminer, lighter reds and a few drinkable wines produced from the oft-maligned French -American hybrid grapes.

Its production of pinot noir is touted, but really flies about every four years or so, the rest of the time it is best for sparkling wine. Other reds can be drinkable, and some outshine their counterparts in places like the Loire Valley (France--Cabernet Franc) and Austria's Lemberger, which works for me only when it is blended with Cabernet Franc.

Ah yes, I forgot its late harvest wines--soopoib!

The fact that you don't know about the region is not your fault--it's the woeful inability of the region to coordinate anything close to real marketing or promotion.

There are just upwards of 200 wineries in NY State, half of them are located in the Finger Lakes region. The rest are on Long Island, at the Lake Erie region and in the Hudson Valley.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 09-05-2005).]

- AlpineOeno - 09-05-2005

foodie,

i agree with your assessment of the wines, but the lack of advertising doesn't have too much to do with a lack of coordination. The region sells their wines at market value for the quality level, and sells through its production for the most part. This is especially true of Long Island wines. The truth is, more advertising dollars wouldn't increse prices significantly, and until the regions commit to making a drive at increacing vineyard area, and therefore increasing production, larger add campaigns would have diminishing returns at this point. Hell, half of the wineries on Long Island sell their juice along the 90 mile stretch between the north fork and manhattan, and sell out!!!!

- Thomas - 09-06-2005

AlpineOeno,

I don't disagree with your advertising assessment, but that wasn't the subject I addressed with bernkastler. He has never heard of the Finger Lakes because they do a poor job at letting people know--plain and simple.

Secondly, I get truly tired of hearing NY winery owners complain about the lack of respect and lack of quality promotion that they get, and then when called to spend a few bucks on such things they give the argument--we sell near everything we make at the tasting room. If you want to be respected in the big time, you must play in the big time game. Otherwise, stick to your marketing plan and stop whining.

Third, I've been in the wine business for 20 plus years--14 of them spent in the Finger Lakes wine business. I find the wines far better than the promotion of them.

- Kcwhippet - 09-06-2005

I'll second that last sentence.

- robr - 09-06-2005

Thanks for all the information on NY state wines. We don't see many of them (or any at all, actually) down here in Central Florida. Now I know why!

- winoweenie - 09-06-2005

Don't normally post on any SW boards but will, without blushing or apoluigizing, second the bubblies and Reislings of the area( 'specially Glenora). WW

- AlpineOeno - 09-06-2005

foodie,

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. I worked for a shop that was probably the largest seller of finger lakes wines in the country, and was always a big advocate. In fact, i kept pushing them to fill out their long island selections. I totally agree with you that the promotion of the wines doesn't live up to the quality. My only statement of belief is that the pricing has reached its market value. However, i still believe that the push for promotion is being led by the politicos and not the wineries themselves. Until the wineries find the motivation, nothing will change.

That being said, i am now consulting for two shops on the other side of the state, and my first order of business is to stock the shelves with all the great ny juice i can get my hands on. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by AlpineOeno (edited 09-06-2005).]

[This message has been edited by AlpineOeno (edited 09-06-2005).]

- Thomas - 09-07-2005

AlipneOeno,

Which shop was that in the upstate market? There are a few that make the claim of carrying the most FL wines--Premier, outside Buffalo, had to have been among the top ones. But then, Liquor Square, in Syracuse used to have a lot of them, as does Bottles and Corks, in Corning and Century in Rochester, plus House of Bacchus.

And I forgot the obvious: Northside in Ithaca.

And then there is the other upstate: Albany region had a few stores with a large FL selection, but I have been out of that market for ten years.

We might know each other, or have mutual friends. And where are you now?

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 09-07-2005).]

- AlpineOeno - 09-07-2005

I used to work at Century, and now reside in the "other upstate" as you put it, Albany. Hmmmmmm..........Hammondsport.........That isn't Holly is it?

[This message has been edited by AlpineOeno (edited 09-07-2005).]

- Thomas - 09-08-2005

No Holly here. Thomas Pellechia is the name.

I am quite familiar with many who worked at Century, including the bosses Sherwood and Michael.

Where are you working in the Albany market? Delaware Plaza used to have an extensive FL selection.

- AlpineOeno - 09-08-2005

I am consulting for a new shop in Loudonville, and for a few private groups in Saratoga Springs.

- Thomas - 09-09-2005

Good Luck.

The Saratoga Springs market is a tough one in which to offer innovative ideas.

- Innkeeper - 06-04-2006

We popped another of the '03 Glenora Dry Rieslings tonight with a white pizza with feta and ham. Went perfectly.