WineBoard
Chateau Neverfail - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Chateau Neverfail (/thread-1405.html)

- jackl - 01-05-2004

More for curiosity's sake than anything, but what would board members consider a wine that 's as versitile as tastes good. What kind of wine can you whip out and be assured that will be whatever you want on any given occasion. I talking about wines you keep on hand that will go with a steak, chili dogs, or a bowl of pasta with red sauce. Nay I say to those who would cry sacrilege to the very thought of matching these with the same wine. Give away your secrets. Which wines should be known as the cameleons of the wine world and once and for all put to bed the myth of one and only one wine for every food? I'm still thinking about what mine would be...

- Innkeeper - 01-05-2004

Two routes. First a Spaniard such as Borsao/Campo De Borja or another blend of that sort. There are dozens out there. Find one at your corner market that you can always pick up. The second route consists of blends of California reds such as Marietta Old Vine Red, LotXX; and Bonny Doon, Big House Red.

- hotwine - 01-05-2004

I have the Cline Syrah and Dom. des Amouriers VdP de Vaucluse in the category of "go to" house reds; and for a similar white, currently Picpoul. But I try to match the wine to the menu, regardless of how casual, and don't mind pulling a $20 Barbera to accompany a $2 frozen pizza. Call it an extravagance in lieu other forms of entertainment, such as frequent dining out or movie attendance (haven't been inside a movie theater in over 20 years, but we usually go out for a nice dinner every couple of months).

- Drew - 01-05-2004

Marietta old vines whatever lot # is current is always dependable for $10 to $15

Laurel Glen "Reds" $10

d'Arenberg "The Stump Jump" (Oz) $12

Drew

- wondersofwine - 01-05-2004

Hotwine took my suggestion--Cline Syrah. I would say Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Heritage Zinfandel is also quite versatile and found in most grocery stores that carry wine. For a versatile lighter red--Bearboat or Byron Pinot Noir (the Byron is easier to find) and for a versatile white--Trimbach Gewurztraminer, St. Supery Sauvignon Blanc, or Leitz Dragon Stone Riesling depending if you want dry with spices, dry with citrus or slightly off-dry.

- jackl - 01-06-2004

Probably not very exciting, but my vote would be for a lighter bodied, lightly oaked merlot. It would something like the Arrow Creek merlot I posted on recently. The only problem is a lot of merlots tend to be heavy on the oak and this tends to kill their food worthiness a bit. I've had a few basic Bordeauxs that fit the bill, but those can be really hit or miss. Once again I think the solution lies in being open to other possibilites and it looks like there are a lot of good suggestions above. Thanks for the input.