WineBoard
Flight of three Beaujolais Crus - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Beaujolais/Gamays/Valdiguie (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Flight of three Beaujolais Crus (/thread-13979.html)

- wondersofwine - 11-20-2001

At Bistro 100 in Charlotte, NC, I chose to taste 2 oz. each of three cru Beaujolais. They were all from Georges De Boeuf, but of different vintages which made a direct comparison less telling. The three were a 2000 Morgon, a 1999 Fleurie, and a 1998 Moulin-a-Vent. IMHO they became progressively more intense and complex (because of the cru or the age of the wine?)
The accompanying description said Beaujolais wines are among the world's most "gulpable"--best young but can age nicely for up to five years. I found the fruit described for the Morgon but couldn't detect the chocolate. I have yet to definitely say to myself "Oh, yes, this wine has a chocolate flavor" but I did come closer to finding a hint of chocolate in the Fleurie. I also found the Fleurie to be the most "gulpable" of the three. The Moulin-a-Vent required a little more thought and possessed something extra to add complexity. Rereading the description, it was said to have scents of violets, anise, and wilted roses. I won't pretend to have detected wilted roses but violets or anise might account for that something extra in the bouquet. The 1998 did not seem at all faded and may go for several more years. I would like to find a bottle to take home. I accompanied the wines with crusty French bread and soft Brie, stuck with water during the artichoke appetizer (steamed in lemon-water and in a lovely lemon-sage sauce). Returned to the wines with veal paillard (thin scallop of veal) on angel hair pasta topped with mushrooms, large spinach leaves, and seasoned Italian plum tomato. The pasta and veal had a delicate brown sauce. The wines were consumed before I got to dessert--strawberry gelato in a tuille (thin wafer pastry) with mixed berries and cappuchino.
(The night before I ate very well at another Charlotte venue, the Bijoux, with seared salmon with wild mushroom vinaigrette and an accompanying Volnay from Laboure-Roi).

- hotwine - 11-20-2001

Wow, you're eating a lot better in Carolina than I ever did in the mid-60's.
Gotta tell another tale: I had been in AIT at Ft Jackson SC for at least a month in '66 before finally getting a Saturday afternoon pass to go to Columbia. Got off the bus in front of the state capitol, and found there was a bar right there on the corner. Had a terrible thirst, so I walked up to the door, only to be greeted by a sign displayed prominently in the window, "No dogs or soldiers allowed". Turned around and caught the next bus back to post. As I climbed aboard, I knocked the dust of that town off my shoes and never went back. At least, Columbus GA and Fayetteville NC were later more hospitible than that!

Have several bottles each of '97 and '98 Moulin-A-Vent still laid down; also, Chiroubles, Fleurie and Morgon. Will probably finish off the '97's over the winter.

- wondersofwine - 11-21-2001

I'm flabbergasted by your tale. The nerve of them--"no soldiers allowed." However, I do remember when the Lincoln Air Force Base was open (Lincoln, NE) and most girls from the civilian community had reservations about dating military men. I guess it was assumed that they would not feel the constraints to be gentlemen that home town boys would feel (as if that was really a stopper when the urge takes over).
A new magazine called CharlotteTaste talked about the increased sophistication of dining in Charlotte. It profiled four French bistro-type restaurants including the two where I dined last weekend. It said chefs in Charlotte can now serve dishes such as sweetbreads that never would have been accepted twenty years ago.

- Innkeeper - 11-21-2001

Here is a diametrically opposite story. In the 1968-71 timeframe I was an AFROTC insturctor at NYU. We were at the University Heights Campus in the Bronx. We aslo had some folks stationed downtown at Washington Square. It was not the best time or place to be walking around the city in a military uniform. John Lindsey was the mayor.

All you had to do though was walk into a bar, be it in the Bronx or Greenwich Village or anyplace in between, and it was almost impossible to buy a drink. Other people bought them for you.

Morale of the story. Good people can be found in bars.