WineBoard
Wow - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Beaujolais/Gamays/Valdiguie (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Wow (/thread-13959.html)

Pages: 1 2

- mrdutton - 05-30-2000

Well the basic recipe says 8 oz chuck, 8 ounces sirloin and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

So when I actually made the things, I got a 2.25 lb hunk of chuck and a 2.45 lb hunk of sirloin, trimmed off the sliver skin and the big chunks of fat. Then I ground the meat and added 4 tsp of salt.

Nothing really precise there........ I then mixed the meat by hand, and tried not to overwork it. There was enough fat present, still, that no fillers were required.

The mix was then formed into patties. My patties turned out to be about 6 ounces instead of 5, but who was measuring. I grabbed enough ground meat to form a small snowball that fit inside my cupped hands. Formed a ball of meat and then patted it down into a round patty about 1/2 inch thick.

Sides and flavorings included buttered and garlic coated rolls, on the inside. They were made from whole wheat and coated, on the outside, with poppy and sesame seeds.

Also included were room temperature Brie, Saga Blue and Goat Cheese, along with chips of panchetta, sauteed to crisp them; green leaf lettuce; mayo; sliced onions; catsup; mustard; and dill pickle slices.

I think I turned out a pretty darn good hamburger and left the flavoring and seasoning - other than the basic BEEF - to my guests.

The Jean Descombes Morgon was a darn good match.

Four minutes on a side turned them out medium rare.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-30-2000).]

- Drew - 05-30-2000

Tonight I grilled burgers using Hotwine's seasoning recipe and Mrdutton's cooking times. The result was a burger that all stated was "Just right".... after the "first bite!"

Drew

- Casta - 06-15-2000

I am unfairly new to Beaujolais, so I'll appreciate some advice on how long I should keep it waiting.

- Casta - 06-15-2000

BTW - It so happens that the bottles I just got a hold of are Georges Duboef. Otherwise i would have started a new thread - apologies, etc

- Innkeeper - 08-08-2000

Just opened our first 1998 Morgon, Georges Duboeuf, Jean Descombes. Had to finish the last case of Moulin-Vent first. It was wonderful. Can't remember the last time we described a Beaujolais as being jammy, but jeze it was; along with all the other previously described attributes. If any of you can glom onto it before it's gone, do it.

- winoweenie - 08-08-2000

IK, My spy on the west coast just E-D me a report on the 98 CdP`s and he`s estatic with what has arrived so far. He says the Ch. Beauchene Coted du Rhone " Grande Reserve " is a killer for the money(9.99).Their " Vignobles de la Serriere " for 22 is a little better. I`ve ordered 4 assorted cases of these fruit bombs and will post between the 92 Cab tasting. winoweenie